Saturday, December 1, 2018

Starting December where November finished.....

..I really wasn't intending to go today.  The weather started awfully,  heavy rain..  and I discovered there were no trains (engineering works in the Sutton area)... but then just after the washing machine finished and I'd hung it out to dry, the rain almost stopped.... I didn't fancy doing the Christmas shopping... so...
 it had just about stopped completely by the time I arrived (12.30, the kind of time I usually head home!)


Elizabeth mentioned being surprised at how visible the grass is... not sure why as it  is the same as ever, or at least seems it to me!
I was cold when I arrived so went straight into the Palm House (tropical!) to warm up...



 as I walked along one side, a couple were looking into a bed.  to my amazement, we saw a robin, eating a worm (snatched at the photo, so it blurred)  he must have flown in either when the door was open, or through a window... I am sure he doesn't live inside permanently.

He flew onto a branch by the windows.


 and sang his little heart out!
he was so tame I was able to change lens to get closer


 back outside, some of the huge amount of equipment required to put on such a fabulous lighting event.
(phone pic)







I walked down a very grey Broad Walk








 spiky eryngium
 see how different they look in daylight, just white  - lovely though.

I went for a closer look
 pausing for some rainy selfies

 close up of the flowers

walked through the small fairground - we didn't bother last night, as we had no small children with us -

always love a carousel horse though


 walked through the White Peaks cafe (they serve hot food in this one) but didn't fancy any of the dishes, on my way out, noticed a pigeon scavenging on a plate - they come in through the doors which are automatic, and sometimes evade eviction!



 must be winter, the dogwood is starting to really shine!
 Plane tree
 the geese were loving the big puddles
 walked up the path to the Hive, round the wildflower meadow, was surprised to see (clover?) blooming

and some big daisies

 there were puddles on the glass floor of the Hive.. it was slippery (there was a warning sign, in case H&S are listening)


 these 2 boys were shouting down to their parents.  As there faces are obscured, I didn't mind taking a picture as I liked the image!



nearly all of the leaves on the Cotinus down at the foot of the Hive (well along a bit from the Hive) have gone...  the Hive in the background



 past a lichen-covered branch. headed for the Princess of Wales glasshouse - looking for the Dragon again...




 he was!  this is the one "downstairs" not the one under the mangrove.

no sign of the youngster though, I had a good look.








 I don't normally like cacti, but did like the shapes of this one
 outside, in the family beds I took this so you can see why they're doing the work



looks very bare for now


 walking back past the Broad Walk, I noticed that the lights were starting to come on...



 walking past the Parterre beds again.



 they've been renovating the holly hedges outside the waterlily house,

this was one of the sculptures that was on display a couple of years (probably!) ago...
 I always liked it, so it's nice to see it back
the always close and clear the waterlily house for winter,  to give it a clean .

 I decided to follow a bit more of the trail..
 the green neon (I think) was really bright in the gloomy day but don't show up on the photos so well
 the amazing beech not yet illuminated
 the walk-through installation through the trees
 the snowman
 at the lake, the red light on the trunk made good reflections (as I failed well  to capture it last night!)



at the Walkway

no energy to climb the steps, although I did think about it - I wondered if I would see any of the trail from up there









 I took a short cut to the Temperate House
 these are still stunning, especially against the background of the pillars




 outside,the urns on top of the roof showed up well against the grey sky
 the green showing up better.  despite the umbrella in the picture, it wasn't really raining enough to bother with one!


It was also mild, I was a bit too bundled up!



 the lights on the Christmas Wreaths were starting to flash too

 what's that strange almost yellow thing in the sky.... trying to burn through the clouds..


bit too late in the day to make it, but it tried hard for a few minutes!




thanks so much for coming with me again,
for this bonus unexpected trip to Kew!



 from the bus window home, (phone) evidence the sun did try to emerge in time to set
loved the clouds





P.s.  if you missed Christmas at Kew, it's the post before this one! 

4 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Always love your opening shot. Guess I remembered when there was only dirt surrounding the planting beds, so the grass was a true surprise. Especially when it was SO green, too. The photo in 51 shows the grass looks like it has been cut back really close to the ground.

Your robins are SO different from ours. Your little guy was much tamer than the ones I find in my yard.

Still loving the flowers. They DO look different in the daytime, but so do the wreaths. I didn't even recognize what I was seeing at first.

LOVED the bubble/baubble selfies. They were fabulous.

Be still my heart. I fell in love with those carousel horses. Wonderful and thanks for sharing them, too.

Great shots of the hive. Laughed at H&S concerns. Enjoyed the photo with the two boys, too. Very atmospheric.

What glass building/structure am I seeing next to the Alpine House?

The renovation is going to be interesting. I like how they are using DNA to categorize and understand the roses and other plants at Kew. So pleased to see how scientific it is (after all, I am above all, a scientist).

Goodness, I couldn't even make out the installation in the trees. Glad I saw it from last night's outing. Still like the snowman! Lovely shot of the red spotlight at the lake. Great reflection, too.

LOVED seeing the Christmas at Kew in the daytime. It was fun to see how different it was. I'm delighted you shared these. They were fantastic photos, including the trip home where you used your phone photos.

pearshapedcrafting said...

As ever your photos are wonderful Helen! I think I would have been tempted to stay in the Palm House for a while!! You got some great shots of the robin! we met a very friendly one the other day! Heading backwards now to see the lights! Hugs, Chrisx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Back on October 6, you showed an opening shot of the grounds and lots of dirt for the beds. I swear I didn't remember the grass, thinking it was ALL bare dirt. In looking back, I see how wrong I was. What can I say? I apparently didn't see what I thought I saw!

craftimamma said...

Lovely bonus visit Helen! My favourite subjects for the day were, in no particular order, lol, the gorgeous happy robin, the beautiful face sculpture and those fabulous burnt orange coloured flowers against the pillar with their lovely dark stems and leaves. Nice shots of the water dragon too.

Hugs
Lesley Xx