Saturday, December 22, 2018

Kew before Christmas

I couldn't resist another morning at Kew and the weather was perfect!  It was chilly but not December cold, and bright and sunny.

 I had to go by bus again today as South Western Trains were striking and there were no trains on the stretch between Clapham Junction and Kew....


Was there really early so went to a cafe for coffee before I started. 
This tree was on the way down the road towards Kew
look how blue the sky is - not been like that for some time


 I bought this new gizmo a bit back and it arrived this week.  it's a globe that you take photographs through - each one is slightly different apparently, mine obviously turns images upside down.

will have some fun playing with that
 the pond was looking fabulous
and the low December sun was creating sillhouettes to die for

 round the back of the Palm House, I noticed that they've prepared some channels for planting in front of the face. 
 doubled back to the pond
 love the sun glistening on the water
 and the dogwood was shining brightly too



 the Broad Walk has developed Christmas trees at the end of each of the benches
 Princess of Wales glasshouse

 lens still a bit misted up...





now I know where to look!  was amazed he was still there on the same branch as last time.
I asked one of the Kew staff who was there watering, if he'd actually moved.

it's a favourite spot apparently. 

 close up of orchid

 out in the rock garden
 snowdrops out in the rock garden

 walked through the alpine house
 love the pink of the Nerini



 the sun round the edge of the petals of this Christmas light was beautiful
 there were two men feeding and photographing the swans and squirrels by the lake, but I didn't like to get in there way so left them to it.
 although the swans soon swam off too!


 I can't resist the lake with the lights on, and as they'll only be there another couple of weeks have to make the most of it, especially in the beautiful sunshine
this was the reason I bought this globe, for the lake!

it's going to take some practice getting the close up through it and the background in focus (which I saw on the website) 
 the walkway was still closed for maintenance
 urn on top of the Temperate House

 the gorgeous tagetes are nearly finished now, although they are still forming large clumps at the foot of the pillars


 Angel's Trumpet
















loads of camellias out now
great plane trails



 beautiful shiny bark


 primrose in the bedding across the path from the Palm House, they're starting to flower now
 ferns in the Palm House








 as you can see I have shed my gloves now!

 the blue sky was making the pond quite blue too
taken from the bus stop outside.




This is my 44th trip to Kew of the year... didn't think I'd missed that many Saturdays to be honest, and I hope to get at least one more trip in before January

Thanks as ever for enjoying the pictures with me.

6 comments:

Miriam said...

Stunning photos Helen. I love the look of your globe too. I'm amazed it has only been 44 trips to be honest!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

The Parterre beds look great this week. Once I enlarged the photo, I noticed only a couple of dead leaves in the beds. They take very good care of those beds.

Last week when I saw the face/sculpture in the holly hedge, I thought it was a sculpture growing out of the hedge itself. This photo shows it is a stand alone sculpture that can be moved around from place to place. Amazing what photos from a different or expanded view can yield.

Now I see how they create those Parterre beds. They cut channels in the grass. Simply amazing what I learn over time when you take me to Kew.

That globe was a good buy. Looks like you will get some very unique photos with it. So glad I joined you at Kew on Saturday.

craftimamma said...

Some gorgeous photos in this visit Helen and your new globe does look fun. Love that red shiny bark and there's one of some lovely soft looking grasses I like too along with beautiful reflections on such a crystal clear day of blue skies and sunshine. Good job it wasn't what we've had up here in Mansfield today...absolutely bloomin' dreadful!

Hugs
Lesley Xx

Neet said...

Fabulous photos Helen, i love how you did the crystal ball ones. Pure ingenious! Are you sure you weren't a professional photographer in another life? I find your work marvellous!
Hugs, Neet xx

Virginia said...

Gorgeous photos, I bought hubby one of those globes for photography for Christmas, so it was great to see how you'd used yours ! I hope you had a good Christmas xxx

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Loving the photos and that globe is amazing, must have a look for those xXx