Saturday, December 1, 2018

Christmas at Kew

WOW! what an amazing event this is - the sixth year of it's running but the first time I have been able to go. 
Not used to night-time photography but thanks to my friend Lisa who was amongst the small group I was with, I have some successful pictures.   Others less so but plenty to share! 
Sit down with something warm and comforting and enjoy.   Big plus, no rain (the last few days have been dreadful)  and milder temperatures..

you don't get my usual opening shot from Kew as obviously only the trail is open

this is the entrance, whilst we waited for Monica to arrive

you start by walking through a series of Christmas wreaths, ever changing colours

 the lights on the grass here were fast changing, like a river flowing

(before my camera settings were improved!)





this is the huge beech tree I was telling you about, lit by 30000 lights, each branch separately lit, took  4 people 8 days to do.





we are in this one, though the tree dominates!
l to r  Mary (my boss's sister), Lisa, me, Monica





(phone selfie)

 mistletoe benches...
 camera settings had been changed by now, so the kind gentleman who took this had more success. 

 glitterball snowman
Mary
 Lisa loves a selfie!
 this was the tree I selfied myself at last week in the then wet baubles.

looks like it's covered in snow tonight!



this was one of the bits I was anticipating eagerly.   the lake with the boats

multi-coloured, constantly changing lights.  makes photography tricky - you keep wanting to go back to the previous colour to get another pic!


 

they look less like stars at night depending on the angle you view them from









 this is a phone one - sometimes the phone got the better pic




took a little video on the phone trying to capture the changing colours

 the phone definitely won with the Firework Trees... the camera couldn't get these at all.








very clever



 from there you got to a walk-through installation









 and illuminated pattern on the floor too
 lots of the big trees were lit in different colours,
so much hard work goes into this event




 the cathedral.  you saw this in daylight (grey gloom) last week... here it is lit up. 

 you know how I love my closeups,
 I heard people saying it was a whale - you do get that impression but I'll stick with cathedral (besides, I read the sign!)



 couple of phone pics...
 it really was amazing. 










we seem to have lost Lisa....
it was quite hard keeping track of the 4 of us - glad it wasn't a bigger group!


 wishing stars..

these looked as good in daylight, although obviously then the oils weren't lit




 again, kept missing the colours I wanted; lol




really liked these arches;


 to the side of the arches was a champagne pit-stop but Lisa and I both spied these pretty displays.   I suspect her version will have come out better  (phone pic)











just round the corner from these ,  was the installation called "a burst of colour" .. you may recall the white flowers and stainless steel looking flowers... well just look at them now!




 through the trees





 I just love what you can do with lighting!
 Amazing.  the petals look like tissue paper, they really do.


I took loads on the phone too...





tearing ourselves away to the next section..










just in case you forget where you are..



although we kept getting glimpses of the Palm House (finale!)  I had got quite disorientated in the dark  so was then surprised almost to find we were now turning onto ..


the Broad Walk


this is a phone pic.... look quite good...





but no matter what setting on the camera, it couldn't really capture the effects.  There was just too much black sky


and I think I prefer them in daylight!!





and of course, a shadow selfie for Julia

 at the top of the Broad Walk we turned towards the Palm House...
beautifully lit - playing out the finale, laser spectacular...
again, the phone often captured enough light to get atmospheric shots better
  and little girls singing along to the songs from Frozen...



viewing points were at a premium but I got onto the platform and was eventually able to get to the front



you'll need to click on most of these to get a better idea!


you can see I didn't change lens once although I did have another one with me; but needed the wider angles
 anyway, back to the show.



 it really did look good... perhaps you had to be there! 





this is one of the slightly iffy ones but I still like the effects on the water.


 they were projecting images too but they were very fast moving and my camera was struggling sometimes to keep up










think this is the palm house projected in lights over the palm house... 


 promise you I wasn't drunk!  the man next to me was whinging about the flash being distracting so I may have switched programme here to a non flash one! 


 think the snowflakes on the Palm House were just fantastic.





 things with water...



 
still  juggling between camera and phone..

these next few are phone...



 
 it was all set to music, if I'd had a third pair of hands I'd have videoed it as well..
 back to camera



 snowflakes on the tower by the cafe/shop














just time for a quick shop before throwing out time
 it was still very busy in the shop (9.45 pm)



finally a decent portrait shot -
Mary, Monica, Lisa

Think it was safe to say we all had a good night!

Thoroughly recommend this event - but you do need to book early!!   
I think the website still has some slots free in January but you'll probably need to be quick!



thanks for joining me on my blog again, I would love to read your comments but please don't tell me what I already know, that some of my shots are blurry - you should see the ones I've left out!! 


11 comments:

Miriam said...

Wow.... It looks amazing. Off to look at some of the gorgeous pics again.

Little Arty Journeys said...

Wonderful! Just had a quick zoom through and now going back for a more leisurely look.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I've been waiting all NIGHT for this post.

How spectacular. I loved traveling along with you, Monica and the others as you made your way through Christmas at Kew. It's a very different event at Kew than our Illuminations at Botanica. There are no set times and you go anywhere you choose. Seems you had a set path you had to follow and a time frame in which to see it.

The beech tree was amazing and you gals looked great under it, too. Ah, the mistletoe bench was amazing. I liked the snowman, too.

I was really waiting to see the boats that looked like stars in the daytime. The video was great and helped me get a good feel for them.

The fireworks tree was clever. Somehow, I didn't quite understand the walk through installation, but it WAS pretty. I think the cathedral DOES look like a cathedral. I didn't see a whale at all until I saw it in the background when you took a photo of Monica and friends.

The arches were lovely, but I really enjoyed the display that might be something many of us could use on our front porches.

The Burst of Color flowers were insanely gorgeous. Possibly my favorite. In one of the shots the flowers looked like hearts. It was mesmerizing and they were simply stunning.

The finale must have been spectacular. So many lights and movement you can feel when you look at these. LOVED the photo in the gift shop and the one of three happy friends. Thanks for taking me with you to this fantastic event.

Lisa said...

Amazing blog Helen. Great pics x

shazsilverwolf said...

Amazing photos Helen, what a fantastic night it was. Hugs, Shaz X

Virginia said...

Oh my that looks simply fantastic, a beautiful evening out, all those lights I loved the cathedral the most - utterly stunning! Thank you for sharing !

PaperArtsy said...

WOW what a wonderful evening that was! Cannot believe you have not been previously, but i bet you go every year from now on!! Totally spectacular! Thanks for sharing! ~Leandra xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh My! This reminds me of my Birthday trip to the Dunham Winter gardens last year! Not sure whether we will go this year! I wish we lived close enough to go to Kew, it really does look fabulous! Hugs, Chrisx

Diana Taylor said...

Oh wow, what a spectacular event - it looks magical and must have been an amazing experience. I am so glad the weather behaved itself for you. I love the Cathedral lights - they look absolutely stunning, and I also love the burst of colour flowers and little boats. Thank you for sharing and your photos are brilliant as always.
Diana xx

Anne said...

Wow absolutely amazing Helen. Thank you for sharing. X

craftimamma said...

Oh I do love a good light display especially around Christmas. So many gorgeous bits to choose from but my absolute favourites are the flowers. They remind me of Jofy and Kay Carley stamps. Coming up joint second are the fabulous beech tree and the cathedral but they are all pretty stunning. I bet the light show on the Palm House was quite a spectacle too. It certainly looks like you all had a fabulous evening and I am so glad it stayed dry for you all.
Hugs
Lesley Xx