Saturday, December 15, 2018

Kew - before the wind and the rain

After not very much sleep after the office party (see previous post below) I woke at work time... on a Saturday... but I was going to Kew anyway, so after getting the party blog written, it was time to get ready and head off...

 just as it was getting light I noticed this gorgeous sky out of the kitchen window. 
 I was early (even for me ) so had time to stand and wait (in the cold and the wind) outside

not a flattering selfie but it proves I was well wrapped up against the weather!

















before making for my first stop...

the plants in the bed are filling out nicely


 I doubled back and headed past the liquidamber tree - still with quite a few leaves - towards the lake first


and the "temple" by the meditteranean garden


 twisted branches in front of a huge tree trunk
 the swans were swimming towards me..
 I bent under the tree

 a gull sitting on a bench, but as I moved to get a closer photo...
it took off!


 the dogwood on the island in the lake looked bright in the grey day
 the swans in the distance, there were loads of ducks too. 
 the "paper" boats for the Christmas lights on the pond, still looking like stars

 dogwood at the end of the lake crossing too


 I followed part of the lights trail, these are the firework trees
 walked round the bamboo garden and noticed these berries on a large group of stems with no label
and I did look at what these were but have forgotten!

I liked the shape of this large slab of stone at the edge of the bamboo garden (which itself doesn't excite me hence no pics of bamboo!)


 it just looks cold today, doesn't it!!
 the Cathedral of Light exhibit... still love this one maybe the best.


 more liquidamber trees
 leading to the Palm House



 I went into the Palm House for a bit of heat!


 love the fan shape of this palm
outside again, the viburnam are looking good


 berberis,  purple-leaf barberry (without leaves now lol!)
 the reflections of the dogwood in the pond always appeal
 the chopped down Gunnera by the pond

 snowdrops peaking through the base of the dogwood

 walking down the Broad Walk
 seed heads mainly all there is to see at this time of year..  love them
 euphorbia

 the grasses wouldn't stay still!



 inside the princess of wales glasshouse,





 they are already preparing the Orchid display..
 water drops on a plant in a pool of water.  I was of course, looking for the Chinese Water Dragon. 


There was a Kew staff member standing by, as I was about to ask him if they were around today, he pointed me to a branch under some overhanging greenery...
 the young one, so well camouflaged. - I would never have seen it




 I walked round the rest of the POW

 and he was still there!


he'd moved his head an inch or two though!



 grass garden by the alpine house

 mulberry blossom coming out well now
 still well wrapped up you see!



 I shall miss the baubles on the trees when they go in January... still time to enjoy them a bit first
 agapanthas seed head

 more grasses
 the Hive merging into the grey sky

Kew Palace, love the chimneys...how have I not really noticed them before.



time to head home, it was cold and starting to rain and I was hungry...






Luckily got home before the bad weather hit, since then it has been really strong wind and heavy rain, it has kept me awake!! (I did manage a snooze, which is why this is so late coming!

Enjoy! 

4 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a beautiful sky and it shows a bit of where you live, too. I am an architecture voyeur!

I saw something in the beds I haven't seen before: dead leaves. I wonder if someone goes out and picks them up, because those beds are always SO pristine.

Those swans look happy and the paper boats still look great and YES, like stars.

I don't think I've ever seen the bamboo garden, but I'm often wrong when I mention something like that. I did like that stone slab. It looks like an architectural feature.

The Cathedral of Lights is also a favorite of mine, too.

Goodness. What is that face in the hedge row? Most unusual and NO I know I've never seen that before.

I remember when those Gunnera were tiny, then larger, then so large you couldn't see the pond. Now the life cycle has ended.

The euphorbia reminded me of rosemary and the agapanthas seed head reminded me of my dried fennel seed heads.

Loved the photos of the camouflaged Chinese Water Dragon.

The Alpine House looks so cold and deserted. It is still my favorite.


Those chimneys are an architectural marvel and something we NEVER see here in the states. Loved them.

Thanks for taking me with you today. Glad you made it home before WE got wet!

Virginia said...

Oh another lovely visit to Kew, loving the baubles in the tree and the selfie shot, I can imagine you were toasty warm all wrapped up. It's amazing how much life there is in a garden even when we are into winter and its lovely seeing the snowdrops sneaking through.

I hope you've caught up with your sleep.

Hugs

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Helen, nearly missed these which would have been a great shame. I especially love the pic. of you and the one of the paper boats. Wishing you a lovely Christmas and a happy and creative new year, Angela xXx

Neet said...

Who needs Kew when they have You?
Seriously Helen, I will probably never get to visit in reality but I feel i can see it and enjoy its ever changing faces through your lense. Thank you!
Hugs, Neet xx