Saturday, December 14, 2019

Kew- sunny but cold!

I still have Christmas shopping to do, but....  despite a forecast of showers cold windy weather and more train strikes, it was Kew I headed for (by bus, as the times of the trains don't meet up during the strike; it works for home though)

 the beds are slowly flourishing, and yes as Elizabeth commented last week, starting to flower



 I walked round the side of the pond first past the Dogwood which is colouring up nicely


 as the fountain was on again.

I have no idea why all of a sudden, unless it is to stop the water freezing and damaging the cabling for the light display (although they didn't do this last Christmas)

still, I love it!



 It had been a cold 10 minutes or so waiting outside for the gates to open so I headed straight for the warmth of the Princess of Wales glasshouse, 

I noticed this perlagolium inside the outer doorway - a variety called crocodile.


 the water dragon was sat on the rock but still hard to photograph through the  misting of my lens - his head is just visible (you may need to click on the photo to see)
I walked through into the other section - no water dragons, but I took this to show the effect of the "pruning" they've done on the growth, it was done last week, and it is very noticeable (to me anyhow)  how much they've cut back


 the permanent orchids are starting to flower


no doubt behind the scenes plans are under way for next year's Orchid Extravaganza



 looking down onto the lower level
 more cutting back, here too
 the steps down to the lower level

 back round to the water dragon, got a slightly better view as he'd turned slightly


large mangrove branch in the foreground in the way!


 round by the side of the pond



 as I made my way out I noticed these tiny flowers


must look for the label next week!



 more orchids




 grevillea - can't resist them as you know
















took this one on my phone to share on FB against the path - very low down
 outside the sun was shining
 blue sky!


cold wind though!


inside the alpine house the sun was fabulous on the flowers just inside the door

 the scillia flowers are emerging

 teeny narcissus against the blue sky the other side of the glass
 pretty little nerine
 outside the sun was sparkling on the waterfall


 the snowdrops are already flowering since last week!

 quick walk through the Evolution garden
 grasses in the sun




the replanted roses on the pergola will be stunning next summer



 as I walked back past the pond on my way for early refreshments, the sun was now shimmering on the water
 and although the shutter speed has frozen the action, the wind was blowing the spray all over the place!



 on the other side of the path to the far side of the pond, the mahonia flowers were shimmering in the sun


from phone




no way was I sitting outside this week!  also had a hot sausage roll with my hot chocolate today


they are nice, but they tend to burn the pastry when they heat them up!



 afterwards I headed the other way down the path






 everything was lit by sun







 I've not been down this path since they cleared the Chihuly - it looks plain without the purple and turquoise reeds



the grassy area at the foot of the steps is still roped off to allow it to re-grow
 the cherry trees (where the red and copper reeds were) outside the Temperate House.



 you can see the treetop walkway from the steps of the Temperate House too










 I headed up the stairs




 from the platform you can see across to the Treetop walkway  with it's Christmas sparkly bits glistening in the sun








 took another walk round these again


 silver daisy bush starting to emerge again
 the Mexican Fan Palms in the centre of the Temperate House - I love them with the sun shining through them
 the base of the Fan Palm







 erica  flowering hugely)  a type of heather




 I remember this from last year
 and this too,  glorious


I tried to get in under the branches at the bottom to find a label but couldn't 


but the best one I got was on my phone


 coming outside, the steps are lined with Christmas trees (it's on the tour of Christmas at Kew)  although one on the other side had blown over



 heading through the fairground rides bit,

baubles at the exit



 walked by the Treetop Walkway
 to the lake, where as the sun was shining, it was gorgeous!




 two geese were preening on the crossing

 it always looks better on the phone unless I change lens, which I didn't today

 hat and hood against the wind!


















but it was so nice to see the sun (and none of the rain that was forecast)



I put the camera bag down to avoid odd bulges!




back to camera, and walking backup the other side of the lake




and across the squelchy grass



 I love a lichen-covered branch

apparently it's a sign of clean air, that allows it to grow



 looking back at the lake
 lights along a path towards the car park entrance to the Trail



 huge fir tree




(phone)

might take a few baubles to decorate that for Christmas!


 the branches of this tree at the top of the far end of the 'Broad Walk were visibly swaying in the wind


wish I had video'd it
 it is a huge tree!



 I walked up the Broad Walk



with the Hive to my left
I stopped as a plane came over the top on it's wa to Heathrow











 I headed for a final walk through the Princess of Wales glasshouse  and as I did so I passed the Japanese Pagoda tree again -
 and took this on the phone to get it all in
here's the sign that tells you about it
















 I thought I'd take a pic (phone )  of the plan of the glasshouse


hopefully you can enlarge it to get an idea of the different areas it's split into


they are currently working on  adding more doors in and out, at each end,  not sure why especially unless it's just to increase access...

will keep you posted!


the water dragon was still on his rock - the phone doesn't zoom far enough to get any closer!






Thanks for looking!


next weekend will be the last visit before Christmas (assuming I get my present shopping done tomorrow!!)


1 comment:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I can see the "outer" areas are flowering, but I can't tell the colors of the circles and rectangle in the middle areas. I wonder if they are all going to be yellow, or have other colors.
I guess time will tell.

I saw the water dragon, but thought that was a dead animal next to him. Yep, I have an imagination, apparently. Was it a rock or something else I saw in photo 5? It sure wasn't there when he turned around.

I always love the Alpine House and the scillia are lovely. And the waterfall is out of this world. I love it.

I admit, although I'm a vegetarian, that sausage roll sounds incredibly tasty. Maybe I need food! Haven't eaten all day.

Photos 54 and 55 are fabulous. The cherry trees and the Treetop Walkway are great photos today.

Yes, the fan palms are spectacular. Everything has grown so much since the TH first opened again.

Those geese looked like they were doing something more than preening!! Vivid imagination again.

Loved your selfie and the shadow shot. It makes your head look like a doll's head.

I really enjoyed reading about the Japanese Pagoda tree. It's amazing what DNA sequencing can do. Even trees are now being updated with new DNA evidence. I love it.

Maybe the new doors are for the various climate zones. That truly fascinates me that there are so many. I guess I never paid attention to what plant was in what zone before. I look forward to learning more about this. Thanks for the lovely photos and fun time there this week.