Saturday, December 21, 2019

Kew - a last visit before Christmas

It was pouring with rain when I left and I had to take my umbrella, although by the time I got to the bus stop it was sunny (not for long though) 
 indeed by the time the gates opened at 10, the rain was back even though there were patches of blue sky



btw Elizabeth, I checked the labels- most of the flowers are yellow, orange and white but a few at the back of the round beds are going to be blue
 quite a strange sky
 as I went round the pond, I shot into the sun - a great sillhouette, it looks like a black and white photo



 I was juggling with my umbrella and the camera

 but had to get raindrops 

(they will feature heavily today!)









the dogwood stems are really colourful though



 you can see the raindrops at the top left


bit tricky with the phone  - I was going for a jaunty angle of the umbrella, not trying to keep it out of shot!

 tree at the top of the Broad Walk


 as I was walking down the Broad Walk, the sun came out even though it was still raining (especially behind me!)

this must be a first, shadow selfie with umbrella!



I knew there should be a rainbow.... suddenly it appeared in front of me



 stunning!


I couldn't get the camera to capture it but the phone did brilliantly
still raining as you can see by the brolly in the shadow!


I tried for a closer image




 the Hive bathed in sunshine
 and the huge tree at the left end of the Broad Walk - glowing! 

 Kew Palace was also bathed in the light

the rain was stopping and starting.... even more annoying than continual rain!



I went round past the Orangery restaurant with the Hive on my right


 more raindrops

 more moody shots


 into the warm.  and dry...

the lad who feeds the water dragons was on watering duty and said there were 2 around this morning 


 still there!
 and on the grating over the warmth!


 there were some pretty orchids

 walking back through the central area now

the Christmas cactus is flowering.


Mum always had one of these, it brings back fond memories. 



 the big agave outside the door
 the snowdrops under the big acer in the rock garden are really flourishing now












the bare stems of the acer were covered in raindrops



 there wasn't a lot of colour left in the evolution garden, but some intriguing flowers (or seed heads)  I failed to capture the name




 more raindrops
 and funghi along the woodland path


 different type
 at least the rain had stopped
 more impressive skies
 the dogwoods stretch quite a way along the side of the pond
 the mahonia wasn't quite as impressive as last week

 I headed for early refreshments as I hadn't had a lot of breakfast before coming out.


the Palm House was looking fabulous in the sun


hot chocolate of course (my free one as I had filled my loyalty card)  and cake - toffee praline again 
after looking round the shop I headed back outside,  under the start of the Christmas Trail

 the paths look empty but despite the weather there were quite a lot of people visiting,  I was just lucky mostly getting people free shots


 I thought this camellia was better focused than it is!  but it's so pretty I'm leaving it in


 totally bare of leaves now,  but yay for a blue sky backdrop!









I went into the gallery briefly..
where the main room was empty... as I had my standard wide angle lens on I got a couple of general shots

back outside - I wanted to take advantage of the sun in case it rained again



 looking through a tangle of bare branches

















as I got to the corner to turn to the Temperate House I caught sight of a reflection of the big fir trees in the puddles on the path

this one on the phone

















 but as I bent down for a better angle, I saw this!!


(camera again)
phone one,. 
 I walked up the path dodging the puddle that crossed the width of the path

shame about the barrier but I wasn't about to  move it!


 I squelched across the grass to avoid the puddle and went inside


there was colour here




 the silver daisy bush flowers are growing nicely
 and in one of the centre hexagons are some orchids

 I wanted to go to the lake whilst the sun was out  -looking for reflections again


 the meditteranean garden is closed off from both ends ,  it was very soggy you could see
 dogwoods on the island

I love the upside down  "v" patterns the ducks make as they swim



 sweet oak

 I walked back towards the Palm House
 the decorated holly trees that run round the back of the rose garden, and form part of the Christmas Trail

they aren't using so many large baubles this year so haven't had much chance for bauble selfies!





as the sun was shining so brightly I went back to the side of the pond to look at the dogwood again




 as I walked down the Broad Walk again this time without having to juggle my umbrella (other than using it as a walking stick!)

I noticed that there were some early daffodils out - and quite a few more coming through the soil




 I headed for inside the alpine house as I realised I hadn't checked it out before

 it was empty, unusually
 quick walk back through the Princess of Wales glasshouse, orchids but not dragons this time round (well the one was on the rock in the water but couldn't get a better shot)




 came out of a different door to go through the dry tropics section



 back outside and walked back to the Broad Walk - another moody shot



 I decided it was time to head for the train home (half hourly again as the train strike is still on)


it was moodier on the phone!


but facing the other direction the sky was still blue!


a rapid walk down the road to the station, and home



Hope to go again next week (walk off some of the Christmas food excesses!)  so hope you will join me again then! 



3 comments:

Words and Pictures said...

I love the (not) b&w shot and the moody angles, as well as the raindrops - they really are quite magical things when you take the time to notice them on leaves and branches as you have here. Stunning rainbow shots - wow! And yes, it looks blessedly people-free in your photos... I'll take your word for it that you weren't the only one there. I hope those snowdrops haven't popped up too soon - not that it looks like getting colder any time soon. More rain to come round our way...
Alison x

Virginia said...

Fabulous photos, it is amazing how different things look with the different light levels at this time of year. You still managed to find plenty of colour though as always.

I hope you have a beautiful and blessed week ahead.

Hugs

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I just spent over an HOUR reading and commenting on your post, and when I went to leave a comment, I got a FORBIDDEN message. GRRR. No way I'm writing this one again. I WILL say I asked if I had ever seen the statue in photo 44 before and loved the patron free gallery and paintings. Also asked if once was enough of Kew at Christmas after last year with Monica and friends. This tim I'm copying the comment in case I get an error message.