Saturday, December 28, 2019

Kew for a final time in 2019

It was great to get out and have some fresh air today after a few days of sitting and eating!  There was quite a queue behind me who obviously also wanted to walk off the excesses.
 there was no sun, however but it wasn't very cold
still some good reflections in the pond


 thrilled to see the fountain is still on even if no sun for the spray to shimmer in




 walking down the Broad Walk some early hellebores are flowering

 I cut off half way down the Broad Walk


and went into the Princess of Wales glasshouse
where I paused at the grevillea inside the door


 not sure what it was today about the close up mode but it kept firing the flash
 pretty little pink (blurry) flowers


the rock by the water had no water dragon sitting on it today

 but through the tunnel I found not a dragon sitting on the grating, but the smaller one sitting in the branch on the tree
 I had real trouble focusing on it though

 but managed a few
 walking through the cool orchid area I found some pink flowers

(flash fired again!)
 better representation of the colour here





as I came down the steps by these beauties (remarkably hard to photograph well)




I saw why the rock was empty - he'd obviously scampered along the top to the edge of the path








 I walked out through the desert section
 and whilst I don't really like the cacti as such, I did like the patterns
 I walked past the sculpture
 and as always was fascinated by the texture


they've put up a board to explain a bit about it



 there was a single rose bud left on a bush in the evolution garden
 I walked round some of the beds looking for texture and patterns


 out into the Rock Garden, the acer with the snowdrops underneath


 the into the alpine house
 Nerine
 scillia developing
more patterns
(the wall that supports the Japanese pagoda tree)


 looking through the seed pods at the corner of the Broad Walk


 the Christmas shop in the cafe


hot chocolate and a Chocolate Orange loaf cake


very sweet!



 I walked down the path towards the Temperate House and remembered I hadn't checked out the witch hazels last time,


they were looking amazing,

yellows
 pale oranges
 more yellow ones

 salmony pink ones

got a better close up on the phone



 then into the Temperate House


 my favourite silver daisy bush












 In what used to be the evolution house but is now an extension of the Temperate House across the path, I found some more grevillea
I hoped for reflections at the lake but it was a bit too dull


plenty of ducks and geese though


 hornbeam tree



 walked through the Palm House


 then back through the woodland bit past the funghi


 into the POW again



 the small water dragon had disappeared from the branch and a large one was lounging at the edge of the water


and the other one was back on his rock!

 I was heading for the exit now


this is the giant wisteria. devoid of leaves and it's gorgeous twisty bark



 is it just me or does it look like stick men with their arms out?


Love it
treeful of cones of some kind



thanks for looking - let's do it all again in 2020!!




3 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Not seeing any of the blue flowers in the circles. They must not be out yet. The yellow and orange ones are starting to take off, though.

I get infuriated with my camera when I can't get it to focus on something. There have been times when I've given up and come back later. That final shot (17) of the dragon in the tree came out great. The other water dragon was almost putting on a show. And later, when you came back, I enjoyed seeing them, because they DO look different to me.

It's a little late for the last rose of summer!

LOVE those snowdrops!!! Never heard of Nerine but they are very pretty and delicate looking.

I was fascinated by those "beads" or pods and glass in the gift shop. They were beautiful. I wonder what they are. Ar they just hangers or do those lights go with them (photo 51)?

Maybe no reflections on the lake, but the man was back this week.

It was fascinating to read about the cones, male and female. Wonderful for the palm trees, too.

Yes, it's just you. Seriously, I can see why you see that tree that way. It's amazing how the wisteria grow like that.

Today I'm taking NO chances. I'm copying this just in case I get another error like I did last week.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

No error today. Thank you blogger!

Virginia said...

Fabulous photos as always, Mother Nature at her finest as always! I still love all the amazing colours, particularly at this time of year when everything seems so dull.

Have a great weekend and week ahead