Saturday, December 7, 2019

Kew - December already!

Once again my Saturday morning was spent at Kew rather than anything more pressing (although I did get some Christmas shopping done so win-win!)
 the sun was creating nice patterns in the cloudy sky as it rose this morning before I left - we were promised sunny intervals today so this was a good sign!




but it hadn't arrived by the time I go in


I was surprised and delighted to see that "my" fountain was working today - as you'll have seen it hasn't been for many months (no idea why)  so I went round that way first



 before heading back down part of the Broad Walk



where most of the colour has gone, and lots of the perennials have been cut back for the winter


but there were lots of grasses
and seedheads 

 the beautiful shrub round by the Hive has lost most of it's leaves,


 but a few remained
I headed into the Princess of Wales glasshouse



 there is a new flush of flowers on the Grevillea



 the Chinese Water Dragon was still in the water on the rock in his hard to photograph place!







 I looked everywhere else for more dragons but didn't see any


got a good "eye level" view of the surface of the pond though down the steps by the side of it

towards the exit at the dry end of the glasshouse I was fascinated by this



most of it is a jumble of stems but there are the odd bits like the photo above

the sign says it's called 
Candelilla Gallito  and it is some kind of succulent thing by the looks of it
(have googled, it is) 

 outside the big agave seems to have new leaves in the centre,
 spotted a Christmas Rose in the bed opposite (hellebore)




 this squirrel was eating a nut but ran away as I tried to get closer




 in the Evolution Garden again most of the colour has gone, apart from this which I saw last week too





 and again, loads of grasses
the sun was trying o come out so it was a littel brighter now



 I headed back and crossed the Broad Walk


 and along part of the Christmas trail




 they've lit a big beech tree again this year although not the same one as last time I think
 twisty trunked tree
 I headed down the bank towards the lake
 where a drake jumped up onto the crossing by me
and gulls were sitting on the fence (is it a fence if it's metal?) 



bit of colour at the end of the lake





 I walked up to the end of the lake
 fabulous yellow stems on an acer
funghi been kicked over by something



walking down Cedar Vista




 past the fading hydrangeas


 sun still trying to force it's way through the cloud
lots of  the rowan berries are still on the tree
 pretty pink sorbus berries






 into the Temperate House

webs on the agave

 there was plenty of colour inside














 I can't have walked down the path where these were last week, as they must have been flowering then too



 my favourite Silver Daisy bush is starting to flower again, yay! 
 I climbed up to the platform
Australian tree ferns from above



 berries
 angel trumpet vine







 come on sun!



 berberis berries
walking down the path towards the entrance
 which is the main part of the Christmas trail this year
camellias flowering already


 another berberis
 Christmas baubles with sparkly leaves



decoration over the main gate



 despite the mis-hap last week I sat outside again to eat


although the sun went again before I finished
(cake update -  toffee praline... nice.  very sweet.  but  nice..)

hot chocolate (still bringing the cups home at present.  trying to think of an idea to use them rather than just recycle them in the rubbish collection) 

ok, let's walk round the pond again
viburnum 
 enough sun to sparkle on the water





 another shot of this again
 wider shot of the Rock Garden

 headed for the Alpine House




the scillia bulbs are growing well




 these are dinky and I struggled focusing
 Nerine
 a different nerine

 the remnants on the Strawberry tree



 fir tree
 it's massive, must be 20 odd foot high
 back into the Princess of Wales glasshouse





no sign of any dragons at all this time round


 wider angle of the desert end


 heading back past the Palm House and the sun was sparkling again



 playing with different settings on the camera





time for play again





 you know I always get carried away with the fountain when it's working, and I had to make the most of it today







 the tree at the main entrance on my way out....
well you know what I mean


I was travelling by bus today (train strikes again)  so I was out the way I came in...



 close up of the decoration over the entrance/exit




thanks for looking!







5 comments:

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Great set of photos. It's nice to see flowers as we head toward the Winter solstice.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I see the flowers have started to bloom in your first Kew photo. I loved how the grass had been mowed leaving distinct patterns. It must take skill to do that.

Although hard to capture, the Chinese water dragon photos were excellent. Lovely orchid and waterlilies, too. That succulent is quite strange, but really different.

Ironic that the squirrels at Kew are flighty. After all, they should be used to lots of people. Here at my place, the squirrels just look at me and continue eating or doing whatever they were doing before I started taking photos.

Christmas at Kew is starting to look good. You manage to share something new each week.

Lovely berry shots. I have an agave that has similar webs. Mine are from not dusting the plant, I think.

I always love the photos of the rock garden. It gives me ideas of how I want my front yard to look.

The photos from the desert area in the POW house were wonderful. It was like you were practically alone in there.

Had to laugh at your comment about leaving by the main entrance. I didn't think a thing about it till you pointed it out. Great photos of the tree and arch, too.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Great pics. again Helen. It's lovely to watch the seasons change. Happy creative week, Angela xxx

Sue said...

Hi Helen, Lovely to see how Mother nature still throws out amazing beautiful things even in winter. Sue

Words and Pictures said...

Lovely seedheads and berries (yay!) and the twisted trunk tree is wonderful. I love your glass ball photos of the tree branches this week - magical.
Alison x