Wednesday, August 21, 2024

Midweek trip to Kew

 I got up early for Kew... took the train and walked across Kew Bridge to have a look at the Banksy first.


it's had to be protected so there is a lot of glare and reflection in the way.




I was still first in the queue though...

it was sunny, but cool and a bit breezy






I know I said last time that the middle of this isn't solid after all - well looking again (properly) it IS and it is a reflection of the palm house behind me...DOH! 
the round bed at the top of the Broad Walk





took my usual route down the Broad Walk 











turned along to the monkey puzzle tree


some of the branches were sparking in the sun

I went up to the Hive.


there were several Kew staff/students gathering seeds from the wildflower meadow

I went across to the slate water feature which no longer seems to be operating
then round to the rock garden/alpine house (closed still)


aloe in the rock garden



I was quite surprised to see the student veg beds already open  - the vegetable garden wasn't although there were several people in there working, gathering crops


Dahlia
obviously it was the sunflowers I wanted in the student plots








as I left the student beds and walked along the outside path I noticed the scarecrow, she's cute!


then through the evolution garden



hydrangea





oh thanks blogger, lets mess the order.

anyhow  asters 
echinacea in the middle bed 




love the way the light plays on them




at the end of the evolution garden the sprinklers were on... catching the light



back to the right order... more asters twinkling in the sun


heading back past the face sculpture 
and the tree outside the POW - leaves turning very red
round to the back of the Palm House and the rose garden


I decided to take pictures of the sculptures from a lower angle today where I could


















from here I headed towards the woodland walk and the bird feeder area in the hope the golden pheasant would be around


I sat on one of the benches - there were several tits(no idea which kind) 



I sat for some minutes and watched the birds flying around (and the baby rats)



before heading to the lake 


















there was no sign of the swans until i headed back along the path  then they swam into sight


before heading for breakfast (who doesn't have cake for breakfast) 


red velvet cake again 

then I went into the Palm House, pausing for the hibiscus outside first 



palms 










then into the waterlily house 


lotus flower
waterlilies


the squashes/gourds that are growing across the waterlily house are trailing onto the lily pads now - cool!  










leaving the waterlily house I walked over to the fountain





this one on max zoom on the phone 



then I headed to the Princess of Wales 


some almost flowering cacti! 


there was work going on in the carnivorous room 
quick walk through the orchid rooms
and the ferns 

when I walked past the alpine house earlier they were clearing beds and replanting areas
these were now in a pot at the far end rather than in the bed
davies exploration house, strawflower time!

















then into the temperate house



and up to the viewing platform 
 




outside it had got quite cloudy
















I went into the gallery









I finished at the Marc Quinn by the Victoria gate










love it!  



thanks for looking again, hope you enjoyed. 


Tomorrow's trip will depend on the weather...  watch this space!  

No comments: