Friday, August 23, 2024

London again - but somewhere different

 I had been googling to find somewhere different within easy reach for another trip.  I decided to go to Stratford (east London, not on Avon)

this also meant I could use the new underground line, the Elizabeth line )new to me, it's not so new now) 







I've never been to Stratford before, as the huge shopping centre there holds no interest for me at all... so I didn't get side tracked by the shops as I left the station 


My destination - Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park. home to London 2012.
the link will give you loads of info about what is there and what is on..

there were signs everywhere guiding you round the park and to the various places of interest - I'd done some research at home so knew there were lots of walks and green spaces to explore




but I also wanted to explore the various venues from the 2012 London games
the main stadium is now home to West Ham 's football club and it dominates the area nearest the station 

Walking round the park took me back 12 years when I listened to 5Live's breakfast radio show which broadcast from here every day and sounded such fun.  Not sure why I never went just for the atmosphere (apart from being at work) 

sadly the ArcelorMittal Orbit is closed for maintenance until next year, the views from the top would have been amazing as the day had turned beautiful (I did know this before leaving home) 















Aquatic centre
there was lots of waterways and green spaces
kids playing in the fountain


Sadlers Wells are opening a new theatre in the park




the area round what is now the football stadium is unlike any other football ground I've been to! 

in case you don't know, it was a condition of the planning for the Olympics that a future use be agreed for the main stadium and West Ham moved their home stadium from it's former venue.





I don't think you'll be able to read the blurb alongside the map 
but it tells you about Mandeville Place, celebrating the success of Paralympians at the games. 

the Copper Box Arena, 

I came across the symbol of the Paralympics first

in the distance, the Olympic rings

an area that is new post London 2012 is the London Blossom garden, created after the Covid pandemic  
it was very peaceful, but would have been better seen in spring and blossom time! 

the velodrome (cycling) 
Olympic rings 

there were up a steep hill which although people had climbed and made a sort of path, I decided not to risk it...
I am sure there is a more accessible route to the top for photo opportunities!  

you can book a session in the velodrome asyou can use the swimming pool... as I don't ride a bike and can't swim I wasn't going to do that though!  


I was impressed with the amount of planted areas (although this isn't the best time of year to visit for that)  and lots of play areas for kids with things to do and playgrounds.  

the former athletes village was redesignated for residential use - I "think" this is part of that... 





there were lots of people making use of the park and visiting, I heard lots of foreign languages so it is a tourist destination still, so the legacy seems to be working


I headed back to the station (I had to find a ladies loo in the shopping centre on my way but studiously avoided shopping!)

I took a train back towards the city, not sure yet were I was going next..

this is at one of the stations where I changed lines.


heading down an escalator... having studied the tube map in the first train I decided  to head back to the Tower




not to go in, but to go back and buy a t-shirt I nearly bought on Monday in the Tower shop


I nearly queued up for a ticket for a boat ride back up the Thames to Westminster but didn't know how long I'd have to wait, so after dithering a bit I headed back up the hill 


towards the tube station

much bluer sky than on Monday!



I got off the tube at St James Park and intended to walk through the park but took the wrong exit from the station so walked along Buckingham Gate 

to Buckingham Palace


Victoria Memorial 
doing the tourist thing!



planting round the outer rim opposite the Palace




before walking back to Victoria Station for home


I always like this block as I walk along to Victoria 
I don't usually stop outside Victoria...
or to take photos inside the station either!


Luckily there was a train waiting for me on the platform again so I sank onto a seat for my journey home.



Thanks for looking - that's my week off done (apart from Bank Holiday Monday but got nothing planned for that).
Kew is postponed tomorrow due to the lousy weather forecast, Kim and I have decided to meet up on Sunday instead when there should be sun!
Hope you'll come back to see the results! 

1 comment:

Virginia said...

Oh it still has a definite olympic feel to the area, which is lovely. You look like you had a fun visit.

Hugs