Monday, August 19, 2024

Holiday time - London

 I've got this week off work and wanted to do something different to usual. 

For today, I booked a tour of the Houses of Parliament. 

"obviously"  I was in Westminster early for my booked slot, so I had a walk up and down the road a bit..



Westminster Abbey
long queues outside (it was 10.40 ish so not early but early for my slot

Parliament Green, no protesters there today which is unusual





you have to photograph Big Ben, especially now the scaffolding is down and it's looking smart following refurbishment.

a tour of this would be good (none available until they release another  set of slots for December)  but the website did warn you that there are 335 steps up inside so maybe not....





I went along to find the entrance for the tour 
taking some pictures along the way 



opposite is the outside of Westminster Abbey
I went back up to the corner to Westminster Bridge and walked along  a bit for some more views of Big Ben
and the London Eye on the other side of the river.  I must go on that again one day - as you can see today was very cloudy and overcast - it was meant to be sunny!
looking along the riverside side of the Palace of Westminster 

looking up at Big Ben from a corner angle
I crossed the road for a moment or two

before crossing back and heading back to the tour entrance


where although I was still way too early I just stood patiently!  

they let you in a few minutes early to allow time to go through the security checks (airport style, remove all metal objects, watches, jackets with zips, have your bags scanned, all that jazz)

not a fan of Oliver Cromwell, I'm a Royalist (studied the English Civil War for my History A Level many years ago)

but got a photo of his statue anyway










the tour starts in Westminster Hall, scene of  Royal Lying in States and various ceremonial  meetings - there are plaques on the floor commemorating some.    You collect your audio guide and are given a visitor lanyard


blogger is messing with me now...

stained glass at the top of the steps at the far end of the hall  
the roof is pretty impressive and survived a fire that destroyed much of the Palace 

dates from the 14th century
plaque commemorates the late Queen's Lying in State 






the window commemorates members of parliament who died during WWII


the audio guide was very good 
you come back this way at the end of the tour, I got some better photos then

looking down the hall from the top of the steps.

it looks huge empty, much bigger than during the Lying in State, I think.  



under the stained glass window is another list of names, the website says these are MPs and staff and their sons who died in WWi

you then go up some more steps into St Stephens Hall 
leading the way into Parliament itself


amazing floor tiles 
St Stephens Hall was the original seat of democracy



it has some seriously impressive windows


it is also the last part of the Palace of Westminster where you can take photographs 

I was expecting that but it was a shame. 

there was a marked contrast between the decoration in the House of Lords (which you see first) - ornate, lots of gilding,  etc,  to the House of Commons lots of wood (admittedly very nicely carved).  Both looked very small in the flesh


at the end of the tour you come back through here again and I noticed a little doorway to an office of some kind
the windows in Westminster Hall again 































I had a look round the gift shop but didn't buy the normal gujide book I get, as I wasn't that impressed with the photos inside it. 

decided to stop for tea (cut the top off I notice) and cake  - carrot and walnut  in the cafe 





before heading outside again -  the tour took around an hour and a half, although you can walk at your own pace 

before walking back up to the main road again
another walk along the bridge - the tide was coming in 

this is on the opposite corner of the road.  I had to cut out the tourist tat stalls underneath




I debated getting a riverboat to my next destination (bet you can guess where, there is only so much "never done it before" I can do in a day....)  


but the cloudy weather made me decide to go down to the tube (underground)



and the 6 or 7 stops along the route.... 


I missed this year's Superbloom flowers - they've gone to seed - not at all impressive but will be good again next year!
I went in (being a member of Historic Royal Palaces which runs the Tower I don't have to pay - well I have an annual subscription )
this was my first visit of the latest membership
there was a Yeoman Warder tour due to start down in the moat but I decided not to tag along but make my own way round



there was a very long queue to get into the Crown Jewels 
but I decided to give them a miss too, it's best to get to the Tower early and head here first


the White Tower.


replica elephant, it always amazes people that hundreds of years ago the Tower had it's own zoo.

despite the sky being so grey, it wasn't cold, although there was a nice breeze.


Tower Bridge from the side of the White Tower
the building on the left is where the Crown Jewels are, on the right White Tower



I went down the steps from the White Tower 
pausing to read the board 

that explains about the remains

peering through the holes !


you'll maybe notice I haven't changed lens at all today - had the macro long lens with me, just had left it in the bag! 




a tour had reached the site of Traitors Gate


they are always so popular, with big crowds gathering and following 













crowd following the warder tour
I think blogger has re-ordered these, but dinner's ready so they're staying 














the river was very full,  I checked the tide table - it was bang on high tide



a river boat cruise was setting off - heading to Tower Bridge - but it did a 3-point turn and went the other way! 

I headed back past the outside of the Tower
lots of stalls to get food along the river





thanks for looking - not sure if tomorrow is an out day or an in day  - rain is forecast and I may do things at home.



See you soon.  

1 comment:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I am truly in awe of your time in London. I enjoyed seeing Westminster and Westminster Abbey. Big Ben is beautiful and you always know what time it is in London. Westminster Bridge is iconic and nearly as familiar as Big Ben.

Silly question. Why do you have to remove your watch?

I was really in awe of the photos of Westminster Hall, the gorgeous windows, the Queen's Lying in State plaque, and the amazing roof. I enlarged everything to get a better view.

I was just truly in awe of the entire post, Helen. I loved seeing everything you shared. Thanks for sharing these amazing photos with us.