Saturday, July 30, 2022

Back to Kew

 so I had to miss Kew last week as I caught Covid - suppose it was inevitable . But, all clear and back to normal this week so off I went.

so good to be back!  


those middle beds are so gorgeous


it was time to catch up with my favourite views



and heading down the Broad Walk

the watering system was on, before it got too hot 

some things have suffered in the heat wave the previous week worse than others, 
and blogger too, still putting photos out of order (as I walked anyway


the agapanthus down the Broad Walk were good though


and it was good to capture some water drops






these normally last much better  but they still look good going to seed

as I walked round past the hive, a fox ran across the path in front of me 




I headed to the evolution garden next and as I came past the student vegetable beds, the gates were open 

I was drawn to these fabulous beautiful sunflowers

the sun through the petals, just fantastic


an even darker one





this one is out of order again,  the sunflowers along the new vegetable garden (as opposed to the student beds)
ok, back to student beds.

in the plot in the corner I saw that one of the students had managed to save some of the monkeys from the orchid display and put them on a frame

with some huge yellow sunflowers
















I got them better on my phone 




walking through  the evolution garden 




the echinacea don't seem to have grown as tall this year, but they are still fabulous













most of the asters have survived ok
and the solidago
back at the Palm House
round past the roses
and through the rose garden - lots are setting hips already,   that's early, guess autumn will be early this year!
still some good roses though


I headed for the lake, past the Breach

the veg in the first half are growing well
and of course had to play



I managed to zoom on the phone to get some funky shapes in the mirrors 



moorhen in the little pond half way up the walk from the big lake to the Pagoda



as I headed further up the path from here, I was surprised to see a small deer running across in front of me, but it was too far ahead to get a photo
the hydrangeas are looking ok



walking back down past the Temperate House I had to catch up with the trolls Matt and Helen 




I missed my haircut whilst I was home isolating!  

I had arranged to meet Kim for coffee and cake at 10 at the Pavilion cafe and as it happened bumped into her at the trolls, so we headed there early for some shade under the vines




until the cafe opened



Lynda couldn't join us this week as she was heading home early
but Kim and I enjoyed a good natter and I had a lovely slice of blueberry sponge.

never too early for cake in my world!  
after we'd finished we both headed into the Temperate House


one of the big leaves had fallen from this plant
snapped from the stem,
I expect someone will have come to remove it before long


beautiful patterns in the coleus

there was a huge tub of these in one of the octagons, they are the ones that are in the long beds outside the Palm House, it's good to be able to see them up close




loved the curly tendrils on the bottom of the angels trumpet









we both loved the dark red underside to these leaves

I'd been blathering on about the silver daisy bush to Kim over the weeks,  
sadly it's past it's best now but I still love it





more coleus 





loed the pattern on this pitcher plant

when we go to the Waterlily house we went our separate ways














I walked the other way round the waterlily pond this week, this is at the far side in the border round the edge
then I went to the Princess of Wales conservatory 


this huge cactus had 3 massive flowers out and several others coming/going, not sure which!




I couldn't see in the sun on the screen of the camera if I'd got decent close ups 


so took one on the phone to make sure

there were some huge leaves growing on the new waterlily species in the pond

upper level,  I noticed glimpses of red under a plant


I'm not sure what it is,  and managed to focus on the surrounding plant not the red "flower" on this shot

another pelican flower in here,  at different stages to the ones in the waterlily house




passionflower

grevillea



quick walk through the alpine house,  not a huge amount that stopped me in my tracks apart from the eucomis in the doorway
just  outside is the waterlily pond that I rarely look at...

into the Duke's garden


some little fruits on something

drifts of achillea
most of the daylilies have finished and the golden ones have been dug out

after grabbing a drink of water before leaving I stopped at the end of the Broad Walk 


and then the round bed at the corner of the Broad Walk and the path to the exit



never noticed flowers on this silver leaved plant before.


Thanks for looking - I missed Kew last week and it was so good to be back!


2 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Sorry to read you had Covid. It sounds like it was mild, though.

I had no idea foxes were in and around Kew. They really are so cute. I say that because we don't see them here.

Those are HUGE sunflowers. Beautiful, too. Solidago are new plants to me. I don't think they grow here. Enjoyed the funky mirror shapes. So different and fun.

I actually LOVE that photo of you in front of the trolls. You may have missed your haircut, but it's a fabulous photo AND you are smiling!!

Never too early for cake here, either.

When I first saw that leaf in the red "flower" on the lily pad thought it was a bat! I have a vivid imagination, I guess. Thaks for this show of summer color and I an so glad you are feeling better, dear.

Virginia said...

Hello sweetie, so sorry I'm late, your visit again looks lovely.

I love the sunflowers, we spotted some in a tiny patch in the village today that we hadn't seen before, they just always look so positive.

Hydrangeas always remind me of autumn as we had one in our last house and it flowered in August into September so it feels like an early sign for me.

Glad you managed to catch up with some friends in your visit.

Hugs