Saturday, July 16, 2022

Kew - a short trip

 Saturday, so Kew -  but I didn't plan to stay long today as the temperatures are due to rise and I wanted to be home before it got too bad.

8am and it was around 20c already, but pleasant still

you'd think with being here Tuesday as well there wouldn't be much to photograph...
the pond fountain was set very low
the thalictrum looking good still/agai

the Broad Walk first -  the beds were being watered, there is an automated system here.

caught the spray in the sun 




































the bees were out early 


blogger isn't playing nicely though and won't add photos in the right order... 

you know how much I love these,  especially backlit








I went round past the Princess of Wales conservatory, outside was one of the giant waterlily leaves  drying in the sun
it was like paper to the touch
palms in the bed outside,  alpine house in the background

grasses at the top of the rock garden by the alpine house
teasels in front

walking round to the evolution garden 
sunflowers in the edge of the veg beds

in the veg garden - pumpkin (I think) flowers

organic gardening, so no pest control here , other than natural predators










allium,  the bee took off as I closed in for the shot..













a lot of the roses on the pergola through the evolution garden are finished, but this spray was pretty against the sky



I love the combination of the blue agapanthus with the pinky-purple alliums
the light through this bed was just delicious






I love the solidago


there were at least 2 bees feasting in here
but I couldn't see them well enough for a close up

the pink echinacea are beautiful



there were hundreds of bees on these 















(phone)   they must be 7 feet tall at least
the statue has had his thistle taken away!
I noticed a week or so ago. 


I walked through the shady woody path
back here
walking round the back past the giant gunnera which is really giant now
great reflections



















quick hello to Matt and Helen and spoke to the guide who was trying to stay cool!  


walked past the Temperate House and took the path towards the lake 

berries on the sorbus (prunus? one or the other) already
hydrangeas in all colours

and varieties













the top of the smoke bush - none of this lower down still 


along by the crossing,  lots of bees, no dragonflies again


crossed the lake,


took the path that runs close by the Breach but no mirror playing today


roses in the rose garden


paused for a cup of tea (for a change)) and cake - lemon meringue muffin

as I sat trying to keep in the shade, Kim came along and we chatted for a bit 
then I headed for the Princess of Wales conservatory 


















the huge cactus outside the orchid room looks as if it is bursting into flower again, but I bet they'll be gone by next weekend

water drops on an orchid




this was a really pretty orchid, complete with water drops!


in the alpine house the lilies I'd admired on Tuesday were in full flower
dripping pollen on it's petals



it looks like it is trailing from one stamen to the next

I didn't have the energy to go all the way back to the Temperate House 

so I stopped in past the Palm House beds


to the waterlily house


the gourds are starting to show now 


and a final blue sky view of the Palm House  on my way to the exit.

bus home this week as there were no trains from home towards Victoria (engineering works)  and the journey took me 2 hours (there'd been an oil spill of some kind in Kingston causing traffic chaos and the buses were all delayed..)  
but home at last and the rest of the day is watching the golf....  
Thanks for looking - hope you survive the 40degree heat we are expecting Monday and Tuesday, and see you back here next week!  

2 comments:

Celtic house said...

Oh bless well you did better than us literally didn't move on sunday trying to keep house cool we had a Harry Potter afternoon watching the first two films.

The sunflowers are stunning loving all the bees enjoying the pollen, and your breakfast stop off looks lovely. I also love the orchids, thet are so pretty and I love the colourway.

Hugs

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Helen. Beautiful photos and I'm sure you'll soon be back there. Sending hugs, Angela xXx