Thursday, July 7, 2022

Hampton Court Palace Garden Festival

 Today is the first day of my week off work, and I was off to Hampton Court Palace Garden Festival

it was very overcast when I arrived  but warm



I never buy a show guide because the only thing any good in them is the map of the show, and there are plenty dotted around the place.. I took a photo of one to refer to but didn't once!  
the show guide this year was £10.... no way would I pay that!



I started in the rose tent - positioned near the entrance this time

this was the rose dedicated to the late Dame Deborah James



one of the rose displays


to be honest I was quite disappointed with the rose tent this time


this was a pretty rose.

I did come back later before I left, will share a few extra pics then



across from the rose tent are a series of small exhibits in what they call the Plant Village



there are always lots of fabulous plants


I loved this echinacea, called Green Twister


and this, a stokesia called Mel's Blue (but it's purple??!!) 
lots of purples mingling with white, 

this hydrangea was really pretty too, with it's red stems
some of the flowers had a greeny tinge


willow display
and then alliums, of course a favourite of mine

I'd got there not long after the show opened at 10, and it was already busy, but the joy of Hampton Court as opposed to Chelsea, is that it is on a much bigger site and so much more space!

even the plants for sale were photo-worthy

a great variety of echinacea on this stand
there is so much else for sale, you  need deep pockets to afford a lot of it, 
a lot of the gardens this year are focusing on global changes 
this was the Sarah Eberle "iconic horticultural hero garden"  telling the story of her 40 year career through plants (according to the blurb on the website) 
as I first walked past it was inaccessible as there was a film crew inside.. I checked back later

lots of people using this as a photo opportunity in front of the sign
the R was filled with bark, you may be able to see from the photo above,the H was flowers.  
blogger already changing the order of my photos...
the outside of the forest bathing garden

as you walk through the middle, there were silver birch trees and soft shady planting and seats (for the forest bathing!)  





across the way, this seat looked good (I did see someone testing it out later on but no idea if it comfy or not!

loved this giant plant filled moth

there was more music than previous years, different styles in different areas
I saw this hare and thought of Jan! She loves hares
if you watch the BBC Gardeners World programme, you will know Sue Kent, who does some work with them - she is  amazing and gardens with her feet as she has fore-shortened arms

she was invited to make a garden for the Get Started category - she won silver-gilt medal.


sadly she wasn't there (whilst I was there anyway)

but it looked beautiful







next was a garden aimed at novice gardeners with a new build garden - low maintenance 

there were several school groups enjoying (possibly!) the gardens
then what was possibly my favourite show garden...

I couldn't believe it only got a bronze medal 

what looked from a distance like willow was in fact crochet!

the planting was wild and loose and I loved it!
sadly you couldn't walk through the garden 



but had to enjoy it from the edges.

I hope they show it on tv tonight (I will still be writing this at the time it starts!)

not sure which garden this was... but loved the blue and yellow colours in this bed

edit  Just seen it on tv - it's the Planet friendly garden 

great water feature too
one of the trade stands had this bowl of peonies (I think)
the horse bowl they were in was staggeringly expensive, several thousand £....





















this was another favourite garden
























the huge containers they used for the planting were fab!


there were also some amazing sculptures

the designer was there talking to a couple about them

these wavy pieces are designed to move in the wind, they were gorgeous

there was another garden next door too that he'd made pieces for








this trade stand was amazing
you can't see from the photo but there is water dripping from the lower brim of her hat... loved it.

no prices = out of my league!

then another lovely garden
the planting itself was fairly simple, blues for the NHS mostly

but I loved the clapping hands
it's going to be installed at St George's hospital in Tooting (nearby hospital)  at their Neuro unit




great archway!







then I crossed the Long Water on one of the pontoons they erect for the show

you get such a good view 
of Hampton Court in the distance





I found somewhere to sit and eat my lunch
I hadn't realised until I crossed the water, that the Floral Marquee was on the other side this year



these two ladies walked into shot as I was trying to photograph the size of the Marquee 

which seemed much emptier of stands than normal
but lots of colour


although I did notice that lots of the stands didn't get awarded medals 

I can't remember if this one did or not
the fuschia displays are always good
one of a huge display of gladiolus (no sign of Dame Edna though)



more reversed images....





this display (and the 4 or so photos above) was beautiful











Hardy's always wins gold though, this year was no different


such pretty cottage garden planting 



now we carry on with the stand above Hardy's!
my camera (under the canvas of the marquee)  just wouldn't record the colour of this accurately 


nor did the phone partcularly, but better, much greener than you'd think



loads of aoeniums, beautiful 




another gold winner, Jacques Arnand (mostly bulbs)

blogger switching order again



beautiful allium display 

luckily I managed to avoid people

hosta stand


more amazing aoeniums









these were gorgeous  -gaillardia




agapanthus - another favourite summer flower



at the other end of the marquee, I tried again... 
before wandering down the other edge of the marquee 


loved this clematis




a different way to show off your dahlias!







streptocarpus...
as far as the eye can see

walking back past Hardy's stand I got a better photo of the rusty allium!




walked back across the water

found some more fab garden sculptures


definitely out of price range this, not a price in sight

absolutely stunning













this was another lovely garden - Over the Wall
(a children's charity)

























and as you pass through the orange hole in the wall
you see the blue wall telling you about the idea for the garden















I mentioned before about the music - the festival element - in the bandstand a group was playing - they were called the Soul Brothers and were amazing

and they were encouraging a group dance-along

I just jigged... but it was great fun and I wish I'd seen more (you could hear it from quite a way off which was good )
this stand had some amazing pieces

they did have smaller items, but this was stunning








oh blogger stop it

ok  this garden is called What Does Not Burn
and is "a distallation of the Ukrainian landscape and culture" 
it's one of the new category "global impact gardens"
trees (ok, men on stilts) walking around the grounds



the 2 photos above are from the Sarah Eberle garden I couldn't walk through first time round
more out of order sculptures - this rose was about £2000 I think

another lovely garden












another beautiful garden exploring bereavement, in association with the Sue Ryder charity










the popular gardens mean you get to stand in a queue to walk through 

so you can enjoy elements while you wait

so much colour













you should be able to tell that the sun is out now - the cloud finally lifted whilst I was listening to the Soul Brothers sing and it was so warm i had to go and buy a hat (becoming a regular thing at Hampton Court) 

I always love these water features 
and these pots were fab... £200 for the biggest one!
I was back and forwards and round.....

this time round I came across some gardens I'd missed

this is the River Cottage garden
so mostly vegetables 



I took another walk through the floral marquee

this bougainvillea was such an unusual colour
my Mum used to have one of these (when i was still living at home) 
don't remember it being quite so impressive! 

beautiful salvia (bulleyana)
and this leuchanthemum calledy Sunny Side Up
it was lovely


lily, variety Angela (just for my cousin!)

there was a stand of orchids


this was unusual  -  anguloa (it's a tulip orchid - you can see the tulip share )
















looked closer at the clematis stand

a white passionflower
I saw this earlier - scadoxus Katherinae

some fabulous carnations


some lovely colours

love the sunflowers - it was a company supplying flower boxes - like veg boxes - regular deliveries of fresh flowers


these containers interested me - made from recycled car tyres

not cheap, but a good use of waste rubber from worn tyres

I was heading toward the exit - the rose tent now bathed in sunshine
I went and had another look, as I said before
the sun through the canvas distorts the colours
but I did find some lovely roses - first thing some of them looked as if they were suffering a bit but these were fine
I sat in some shade (hard to find now) for a while before heading back to the station to go home
as I past the grounds of the Palace itself I peaked through the railings at their mini version of the Superbloom event that the Tower of London is hosting for the Platinum Jubilee - wildflowers taking over the normal manicured entrance to the Palace.

and yes, Superbloom is on my list so no more spoilers!

thanks for sticking with this marathon - it;s taken nearly 3 hours to put together!  


2 comments:

Celtic house said...

Wow what an amazing day, I love the different gardens the crochet one was gorgeous, I love the look of the low maintenance one too. The floral moth was fabulous. Fuchsias always make a stunning show as well. I'm glad you gad a fantastic day, enjoy your week off work xxxxx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I had to join you for this show, I like the show guide you shared. much better than a brochure.

Lovely roses and the Plant Village, too. Leave it to you to find lots of purple.

I can see why the RHS sign was so appealing and photo worthy. Nice to see the different ways the RHS honors various individuals. I guess I'm not as fond of the wild and free garden as you were. Ah, to have a garden that was worthy of a sculpture like some you saw. I especially liked the rusty metal work. And someone did a great job with the "abandoned" garden.

I like the idea of a cottage garden. I love hostas, so this was nice to see the various ones. I always love succulents, too.

Lovely pots, but a bit pricey at 200 pounds. I like the recycled tire containers better. Loved this and glad that you took us with you.