Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Westminster Abbey - and back to the Tower

 Today is my last day of my holiday and I wanted to do something else before returning to the office tomorrow. 

I decided to go to Westminster Abbey, as I don't think I've ever been inside before, not that I can remember anyway.

as I came out of Westminster tube station I took some shots of Big Ben which is now without it's scaffolding following the extensive repairs 

you may be able to see the time is about 10.10


London Eye from Westminster Bridge
I walked a little way along Westminster Bridge first
before doubling back and heading for the Abbey

there was a fair queue, but as I joined it, it was moving quite quickly 




took some pictures of the architecture on the doorway

as I waited to collect my audio guide (I decided I needed one today) I stated photographing!
the Nave


I do love Gothic architecture!
I am afraid I am not going to try and label every photo,the guide book I bought isn't detailed enough!


the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior in front of the Great West Door (this is the one they use for ceremonial events, when the Royal Family attend 





the High Altar



the audio guide then takes you into the Quire, where the choristors sit




the High Altar, with the Cosmati pavement, where the actual coronations take place.










it was laid in the 13th century
blogger has reversed again...


behind the altar,









the Shrine of St Edward the Confessor, and tomb of Edward 1

more reversing...

the audio guide talks you through the various shrines and burial sites of kings and queens 




Elizabeth I and her sister Mary, daughters of Henry VIII buried together








the Lady Chapel of Henry VII



RAF Chapel







heraldic emblems on the seats in the Lady Chapel












Mary Queen of Scots

when they run out of room for tombs, the Kings and queens just get stones in the floor





we then go into Poet's Corner




















in a corner of Poets Corner is a doorway up to the Queen's Diamond Jubilee Galleries - I opted to pay extra to go up - more steps -  but only 108 this time

to look round - strictly no photography up there though







but on the way up you get to see some views of the outside of the Abby you wouldn't normally


a piece of modern stained glass in the doorway in to the galleries


in the galleries provide a fabulous view down to the Abbey below - such a shame you can't photograph it!
I picked up a leaflet and hopefully you can see the plan of where it is situated in the Abbey



luckily there  is a lift down you can use

back downstairs 



walking round the cloisters glimpses of outside space
the Chapter House dating from about 1246 where the monks used to meet to pray   (restored in 1866-1872)
wall paintings

there are some fabulous windows




some are more modern, the glass replacing bomb damaged glass from the war














the cloisters lead you to a small garden - dating 900 years  where the monks used to grow herbs for medicine and dyeing



you get some good views

following the signs back to the Nave and the exit,

through more cloisters (full of school parties eating lunch)
hence the higher viewpoint
looking through the railings round the cloisters



doorways


plan of the Abbey on the wall


and back in the Nave of the Abbey 

mustn't miss the Coronation Chair - behind glass so forgive the reflections

a final look down the Nave
Churchill  

I couldn't remember if I'd photographed this on my way in


then it was outside

and after I'd been into the shop

time for some exterior photos of the West Towers/door






close ups of the exterior










then walked back round past the entrance



it was as I took the close up of the exterior of the rose window I realised I hadn't taken close ups inside!  ah well, too late now



you can see how long I was inside, Big Ben has moved on a bit 
it was also much sunnier and the restored clockfaces look fantastic now
tourists everywhere

this is the exterior of the Lady Chapel
part of the Palace of Westminster




top of the clock tower
houses of Parliament






























then I went back to the tube station



and went a few stops the other way up the line....


walked along the viewing path looking over Superbloom











where some information boards give you some details 




I hadn't come for this though, 


but for this - 

in the Chapel at the Tower, a flower festival 

celebrating the Platinum Jubilee










this one was obviously based on Superbloom, with the meandering path of wildflowers


It was a treat to be able to take photographs in the chapel as when you come in as part of the Yeoman tours, you are not allowed to





so I did sneak a picture of part of the chapel too (shh!) 






I really didn't stay long at all


on my way back up tower Hill to the tube, I saw a series of murals - the Burberry art wall


(Burberry are the lead sponsors of Superbloom )


I managed to get most of them without visitors in the way


this was the only one I had to crop as there were people sitting on benches in front of part of it


so that is it for my week off!  

thanks again for looking - if you've stuck with every day well done - I bet my feet ache more than yours do!  

Back to work tomorrow - but it's nearly Saturday!!  

2 comments:

Virginia said...

You look like you made the very most of your week off, being blessed with good weather always helps. I too have a significant weakness for stunning gothic churches and this one really is out of this world, thank you for the tour around.

I also love the murals on that wall, I'm glad it was devoid of people this time for you.

Hugs

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Your churches are so different from ours. I would LOVE to see a gothic church. I'm sure there must be some in the states, but they would be on the east coast. Too bad the guide book didn't give very detailed descriptions, but your photos more than made up for the lack of words. They sure gave a real feel for the Abbey.

I'm glad you shared close ups of the plaques. And of course, I am amazed that this was from the 13th Century. I guess I was also surprised so many kings and queens were buried there, including Cromwell. Even the flags are beautiful.

I would have paid extra for the Diamond Jubilee visit, too. It's sad you couldn't take photos, though. Nice you picked up the pamphlet. It gave me a feel for the area.

Loved the visit to the cloisters, especially the herb garden. And seeing the Coronation Chair was incredible. You also got some beautiful exterior shots.

Nice to see Big Ben without the scaffolding. Nice selfie, too. One of my favs.

I enjoyed seeing and reading about the Superbloom flowers by month. Of course I loved seeing the coronation flowers. Please tell me that is not her crown on display!

The Burberry Art Wall is amazing. I love that it is a fabulous ural in its own right.

I had nearly as much fun as you during your week off. I got to see a great deal of your special events, too. Thanks for sharing.