Saturday, August 6, 2022

Kew

It was still dark when I woke for my trip to Kew today, which means the season is galloping...Still  all bright and sunny by 8am...
as someone commented to this that I put on FB - it looks so peaceful.  It is, at this time, it's beautiful (apart from the planes flying overhead into Heathrow)








whilst the grass at Kew is left to it's own devices in the drought, the Broad Walk beds are watered early in the mornings so that means,  water drops!


lots of purples at the Palm House end of the Broad Walk





and the fabulous blue agapanthus


bright patch of colour from the red hot pokers

headed round past the top of the rock garden
teasels in front of the grasses
to check the sunflowers in the student veg beds - luckily someone was just unlocking the gates!
they were still looking as good as last week,


in the corner of the veg beds I noticed these pink beauties , not sure what they are
the birds have been enjoying the huge yello sunflowers!



















couple from phone now






bordering the new vegetable garden (as opposed to the student plots)  are another row of sunflowers
this was a really unusual one




then it was on down through the evolution garden






then walked back through the rock garden along the salvia border

before back past the Palm house 
and round to the lake, via the Breach and the mirrors.   couldn't resist another play

I couldn't be bothered to change lens on the camera for a wider view so used the phone
the rucksack is my new camera bag that I am trying to get used to using.... my hoodie is hanging off my arm that I was trying to throw some shapes with!!  

by the side of the lake (possibly purple loosestrife?)  
gull on the fence


sun through trees
the Pagoda shrouded by trees 

the windows at the top of the Temeprate House are open 
but the doors weren't as it was still early!
so I walked past the trolls again



walking back up the parched grass towards the Palm House,  this poor tree is changing colour early this year 

headed back to the Victoria Gate for an early snack...





2 "courses" today, cheese and mushroom croissant and a yummy doughnut!

it was about 9.30 by now



so once I finished I headed back towards the Temperate House

sun shining through the aoenium in the doorway





got to love sunlight through big leaves






more light through leaves!



there were only a few flowers left on the silver daisy bush
the barrier at steps to the viewing platform wasmoved to one side
so of course I went up 




however, when I got to the bottom of the downwards stairs, the barrier was in the way so I had to squeeze through to get out!


I love these flowers on this climber 
shapes in a wall at the end of Cherry Walk
massive hibiscus flowers in bloom outside the Palm House door
the size of dinner plates!
and then walking through the Palm House

hot and steamy inside today

but great shapes!

then into the even hotter waterlily house

pitcher plant
these grow all round the edge of the pond

poor camera had a bit of trouble with them

gourds by the entrance are growing
and into the Princess of Wales conservatory
these are just as you go in



then past the pond,  new waterlily pads growing

upper level, small passionflowers on the arch with a second flush of flowers
pelican flowers




by the steps going back down to the lower level  and the orchid rooms
I love these!
more huge leaves
looked everywhere as always for the water dragons...
and some orchids 














not much in the alpine house at the moment - lots of succulents and houseleeks







the end of the Broad Walk as I made my way toward the exit







so there we are! another 3 hours spent in my happy place!  

thanks for looking, see you next week..

1 comment:

Celtic house said...

Wow stunning colours at Kew at the moment, the purples really are gorgeous, I wish I could find a space in the garden for agapanthus but I think it is technically too big. The trolls still looking mighty fine. I bought hubby a backpack camera bag a while ago which we use frequently. I hope you've had a good week.

Hugs