Sunday, August 21, 2022

Kew - and yes I know it's Sunday

 Thanks to the train and bus strike yesterday I couldn't get to Kew until today. 

After the heat of the last few weeks it was a joy to be able to wear jeans and I even needed a hoodie on the way. 

Kim had also decided to go today (we don't have contact details for Lynda) so we met at the gate as usual.
this week though we both followed our own "normal" routes and arranged to meet at 10 for tea and cake

the fountain was on for the first time in several weeks 
but I hadn't taken my long zoom as a) I wasn't expecting the fountain to be on,  b)  I wasn't expecting sun and c) it makes the bag heavy....

so I then doubled back and went as usual along the Broad Walk 




the cardoon flowers are almost finished 

everything is finishing quicker due to the heat I think

a lot of plants I noticed had semi collapsed (there'd been a heavy downpour in parts of London including Kew this week)

the cardoon were ok though

the crocosmia were a bit battered though





at this point the path splits and I head for the POW on my way to the Evolution Garden



cannas in the beds outside the Princess of Wales conservatory
aiming for arty-farty shots with the alpine house in the background
the auto focus was confused though! 

teasels in front of the pampas grass by the alpine house

I couldn't get in to the student veg beds as the gates were shut

the sunflowers along the vegetable garden were still gorgeous though


I walked round the veg garden to check on progress -   things are growing well
large pumpkin along the end wall
view across the garden from the far wall (bordering the rock garden)


wider view on the phone, love all the marigolds (companion planting)

pretty dahlia
there was loads more to this gourd, I should have got the other lens out!
back to the sunflowers along the border

"spent" lilies.  

eucomis










creamy white eucomis on the other side of the path
crocosmia,  these ones were sheltered beside a hedge so hadn't got quite so battered
sedum




water drops...








a lot of the tall yellow daisy type plants at the edge of the Evolution Garden have been cut back not sure if it's from the rain damage or they'd finished (which was the case last week) or a mixture of the 2

the echinacea haven't lasted as well this summer
back at the Palm House 
rather than walking through the rose garden I followed the path round the Palm House itself to the other end

the hibiscus flowers were still glorious and huge







the phone close up, but the colour's a bit off,  it's quite a dark red in reality (even the camera isn't that accurate)







crossing the gardens towards the lake


rose hips - lots of them!

I had picked up the globe lens though and thought the mirrors would be a fun place to play with it






for a change I walked through the arboretum
and through the woodland walk 

the birdsong was not quite drowned out by the frequent planes flying overhead

more berries


I was following a very odd route today but as I got to the end of the lake, the heron flew overhead and landed in front of me,


sadly I wasn't fast enough or in a clear enough spot to get it landing


it stood under a tree to pose




but I couldn't get any closer



carrying on round the lake,  


the leaves are turning (heat stress mostly)


geese incoming!   they flew behind not in front of the trees though

monkey puzzle tree
great shapes and patterns

walking back towards the cafe to meet Kim now

King William's temple in the Med garden
daisies in the sloping grass in front of the Temperate House

Matt and Helen, from a distance only today

more signs of early autumn/heat stressed trees



I meant to go into the gallery after, but forgot



chocolate and cherry cake today

we then both walked through the Temperate House

Protea, think we've missed it at it's best!!
passionflower
had to get down on the floor for this 


seems to be a second flush on the silver daisy bush

in the moist soil under the tree ferns I spotted some funghi








as we reached the Waterlily house we parted company and Kim went to finish her route and then home,

I went into the Waterlily house




close up in the bed outside the Palm House
round the back of the pond



it seems early for the colchicum too 

under a tree in the short woodland area
into the Princess of Wales conservatory
we'd been talking about the carnivorous plants as they'd been featured on this week's Kew: a Year in Bloom  so I went to have a look

they have most of them behind glass to stop children feeding them so the photos aren't the best

there were some pretty pink passionflowers in there too

air plants outside the carnivorous room


new pad growing on the waterlily


went downstairs in case there were any water dragons (no-one around on a Sunday to ask if they've gone...)  

on the way to the exit of the POW

passionflower

grevillea



quick whizz through the Alpine house



as I headed back towards the Broad Walk and my exit I noticed the wisteria that was so disappointing in spring,  had quite a decent second flush
and the leaves seemed much more vigorous than they'd been then too 
then on to the end of the Broad Walk





there are always lots of bees on these


but it seems I can either give you flower in focus
or bee,  but not both today


and that's your lot for today

thanks for looking -  must remember that tomorrow is Monday when i wake up and go to work!!   ... felt different being at Kew on a Sunday 



3 comments:

Celtic house said...

I can imagine you feeling out if psynch going in a sunday I bet your weekend has felt odd, glad you got there OK elements of autumn creeping in now although still plenty of colour, I love the globe mirror shots absolutely brilliant xxx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Too bad those strikes had to mess with your desire to visit Kew.

Had to laugh at arty-farty shots. LOVED the sunflowers. You can never have too many sunflowers. And that pumpkin!!

Enjoyed the mirrors and you globe lens. It's been awhile since you've used it.

Gosh, now I AM hungry after seeing that chocolate and cherry cake. I'm off to get something to eat before I fall over from hunger.

pearshapedcrafting said...

I hope your week wasn't mixed up by doing something different.
Herons are fantastic birds - but often fly just as I am taking a photo!
Love the daisies. Hugs, Chrisx