Saturday, May 29, 2021

Kew - bank holiday Saturday

 Today is a Bank Holiday in the UK so I have an extra day on my weekend. but my timeslot was Saturday at 8 as usual.  

the beds have been planted - a fairly old fashioned look in my eyes, but I guess that's the pandemic for you.  At least it's planted this year



the lake was reflecting nicely in the early light


in the centre of the round bed at the top of the Broad Walk

the pretty pink and white tulips are fading, but I love how the petals are drooping









there are lots of irises around 
looking gorgeous



I did get very carried away with the alliums again today though... stand by for overload!






there were loads of bees enjoying them too but they wouldn't sit still


I took this one on the diagonal for effect but of course blogger won't let me add it like that
I love the slightly deeper purple of this variety






took the path half way down the Broad Walk towards the Hive


the wildflowers at the foot of the Hive are gorgeous
and walking up the winding path round it they are too
irises outside the Princess of Wales glasshouse



a quick walk round the Duke's garden
love the colour of this iris
back out into the grass garden which had it's spring haircut some time ago 
the Princess of Wales glasshouse

top of the Rock Garden on ny way to
the Evolution Garden
the bees were busy here too

aquilegia  




the pasqueflowers are just fluffy loveliness now
didn't see the bee till I uploaded the photo
couldn't see a label on this - but it is beautiful!


scilla (cuban lily)

developing nicely


at the far end of the Evolution Garden is a large clump of peonies






more aquilegia


walking past the Palm House beds,  a closer look at the new planting



round the back of the Palm House



past the Medittteranean garden where the cistus (rock roses) are magnificent
the pollen sacs on this bee are huge, he flew off shortly after this!



little pink flowers in the edge of the long grass in front of the Temperate House - the tulips are long gone now

the cistus in the bed in the middle of "please be seated" are flowering now


I sat and looked at the Temperate House for a few minutes before heading on my way

















off towards the lake, 

holly flowering 
the wild flowers with the Treetop Walkway blurring behind


the other side of the lake 2 ducks were sitting on the top of a bench
they allowed me to get quite close
the mandarin duck fluffed up his feathers




walking round the lake

the yellow irises at the water's edge reflecting in the water


I veered off towards the woodland walk but went through the children's log walk

love how this looks like the hide of a dinosaur or something
in the crook of one log was this funghi



you come back out at the top of the woodland walk 


the bluebells have just about all gone,
but there is lots of this...
and these... not sure if they are forget-me-not, or not   but they are very pretty
and buttercups

and dandelions.  

it had ticked past 10 so the glasshouses were now open.

I was closes to the Temperate House



this looks like the shape of a bird of paradise, but isn't, it's in the stem of a big palm-type thing and I am not sure I believe the photograph I took of the label nearby, so will check again next time
it's fascinating though

this IS a bird of paradise though!


they've brought out the big pots of passionflower





strangely coloured iris 



I love the tree ferns as I said last week



you have to peek over barriers to see things you can't get close to....
walking through the final section of the Temperate House











then, off to the gallery for the Naturally Brilliant Colour exhibition


but I only took one photograph this week 
of some cyanotype prints

the bed of tulips nearest the Victoria gate are still in full flower, they have more shade here so presumably last longer








it was time for coffee and cake, outside, in the warm,  for the first time in ages





it was meant to be apple crumble muffin, but was a gluten free one and didn't really taste of much.  the coffee was ok though and it was lovely ti sit and enjoy the view of the Palm House


I had been carrying my jacket for some time - summer's here!  





then it was into the Waterlily House (I skipped the Palm House as there was a long queue)


these are inside the main door in the inbetween bit



there were several large flowers in waterlily pond
and these around the edge



























pitcher plant in a hanging basket at the side of the lily pond

















on my way across the grass to the Princess of Wales glasshouse I noticed this clump of funghi in the grass at the foot of a tree



gorgeous californian poppies outside the POW





no sign of the water dragons (the greenery has been pruned so it could be they are hiding )

I like the water crashing off these rocks though
and past these ferny things 

then through the two orchid rooms we can visit




these were above my head, I nearly missed them 




























geum

I can't fight blogger any more,  this is meant to be before the geums


tiny aquilegia in the alpine house

back on the Broad walk., picking up where I left off before


white alliums
bee action
formal box bedding out side Kew Palace

finally I remembered to check the laburnum arch-  have missed the very best of it
but parts of it were still dripping in flowers


there was a gorgeous double peony
and some more of the tulips in the middle of low hedging
I also remembered to go and see the ceanothus


I absolutely adore this, if I had a garden with a big wall I could cover I'd love one




then time to cut back through on my way home

iris outside the side of the Orangery 
and this beautiful deep purple/black one





































past the Hive 












and a huge gingko (maidenhair )












I had a 2 minute rest on my way back up the Broad Walk 











such pretty tulips












looking cross at the euphorbia/alliums across the Walk










and some final bee action


thanks for looking! 


let's do it again next week

1 comment:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I wasn't especially fond of the new plantings in front of the Palm House. Maybe as the flowers grow, the design will grow on me, but it seems a bit dark and austere. What do the urns look like? From the view of the lake, it appears the flowers have been removed there, too.

My irises have been gone for over a month. It's amazing how much different your growing zone is from mine. The alliums are beautiful and of course, I've never seen one in real life, just in your photos. It always amazes me how much you love these ornamental onions. Maybe Kew sells bulbs and you could put a couple in a pot to grow in your home.

The rock garden is awash with color and beauty. It's one of my favorite areas in springtime. The closeup at the Palm House beds look like the colored plants are coleus.

The lake is looking beautiful, as are the iris beds around it. I like that the lake actually looks clear this year.

Whatever the black plant is, it sure looks like a bird of paradise. As does the real one! Love those tree ferns, too. I am fascinated by cyanotypes, so I studied this one for quite awhile.

I always love seeing waterlilies in bloom. Several of the photos were stunning. And it was good to see the many beautiful styles of orchids, too. I really like the formal box beds and what I could see of the design. I loved how you finished with many photos of plants that were purple. Can't blame you. Purple goes with any and everything. Thanks for taking me again with you to Kew,