Saturday, June 5, 2021

Kew- it feels like summer

 June already,  and despite a foggy start it eventually turned into summer!  


although it took a while

my starting point always.  The bedding is colouring up quickly - perlagoniums for the most part 


the goslings were sleeping on the path today!  I walked past them looking at the beds, and saw the parents on the grass at the end, wondered where they were!


I debated whether to deviate from my normal route and head for the lake first to see if it was still misty.
but the Broad Walk won out!


It rained all day yesterday here, so I was expecting raindrops...
which I found

first on the lady's mantle (alchemilla mollis)

then the alliums... 


interspersed with lilies













up to the Hive,  the wildflower meadow 

I couldn't get into the Hive as it was still being cleaned 

view from the wildflower meadow of the Broad Walk


ox eye daisies  complete with raindrops

then round towards the alpine house - this is the massive tree behind it

I love these geums,  they've gone to seed in a week seemingly


I walked round the edge of the Rock Garden on my way to the Evolution Garden
there were flower spikes on the large aloe 

will have to keep an eye on this
not sure I've noticed it flowering before, certainly not the ones outside


there were some beautiful roses on the pergola that astrides the path through the middle of the Evolution Garden 
I went to investigate these structural, tall flowers in a bed in the veg beds


the label tells me it's Valerian.


as you can see, the sky was now blue and it was warming up, my hoodie came off and the sunnies went on!

there are some arches at the end of some of the veg beds with clematis climbing up them - these ones were the size of dinner plates!
I went along the Evolution Garden in search of more colour
the californian poppies were glowing in the sun now


just beautiful!

and some oriental poppies which had withstood the rain







not sure what these are,  there is a variety that grew on the beach where we used to visit as children and where my parents retired to, and the smell was so nostalgic, it took me right back! 





the peonies don't really like the rain!  












there is a bench at the end of the Evolution Garden where the peony beds are,  Love how these flowers are growing through the back of it

the mahonia is starting to flower











trying an arty shot with the palm house across the pond with the irises blurred in the foreground




or focussing on the flowerr





the reflections in the pond were gorgeous

heading down the path towards the Temperate House

past the Dunes plantscapes


I saw the lady I often talk to at the gate ahead of my on the way to the lake so hurried to catch her up to chat

pine tree in flower
we watched a family of geese cross the path, one parent at the front, one at the back
there were much smaller than the ones from first thing

and off they swum!





the cistus in the middle of the "please be seated" installation 














I sat and had a rest for a few minutes and chatted to the lady volunteer who was on duty
until the Temperate House opened 



blossom on the tree at the foot of the steps to the TH


a cluster of tiny blue flowers just inside the door
they don't dust the Strelitzia!

passionflowers







after visiting the gallery (no photos, the lighting inside is just not right)
I headed back down the path towards the main gate



a patch of irises just inside the front entrance had dried out from earlier
as I went past the round beds with the new urns in the middle I noticed they'd been planted up (the beds that is )

I hadn't spotted that at 8 o'clock!


the palm house beds



There was a queue for the palm house so again just headed to the waterlilies

which was a lucky decision as it was relatively empty of people



striking leaf pattern 

water soaked petals in the bed round the window


it was very hot inside so I made my exit


then it was off to the Princess of Wales glasshouse

I love these tall spikes of flowers


I don't know what the tree these seeds are hanging from

orchids

these strange berry things still fascinate me
ferns unfurling
hanging basket with a difference
of course I can't resist this 






they'd moved the blinds in the alpine house now the sun was strong (I still think they look like sails)

I walked partway through the Rock Garden but they must be doing some work as it was fenced off
these little flowers were at the foot of a fern
twinkling in the sun


ox eye daisies

I sat on a bench along the Broad Walk 


then walked down to the end,

couldn't resist some more alliums




lots of bee activity 







the variety of purple allium at the further end of the Broad Walk (or the start obviously depending on your direction!)  are much larger then the ones I was photographing first thing


you may have been expecting coffee and cake - well it was too hot (I'd eaten cake I'd brought with me ages ago!)

and there was a massive queue to the cafe for drinks..

so it had to be ice cream on a bench before going home

(mint choc chip if you're interested!)

It was a long tedious journey on the bus again - thanks to yet more engineering works on the train - different stretch of it thiis week -  I do hope next week I can go by train!

Thanks for looking.  

3 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Nice first shot and those geese are EVERYWHERE. They are so prolific and don't seem to have any enemies to keep their numbers in check.

That's a lovely photo of the Broad walk from the wildflower meadow. I've never known aloe to flower. Those poppies are gorgeous. So are the iris. I was surprised "your fountain" wasn't on.

So that's what a passionflower looks like! Lovely. Beautiful waterlilies. Too bad it was hot inside.

I finally see what you mean y the "sails" in the Alpine House. It was really obvious in that photo you took.

LOVED that photo of you eating ice cream. That may be one of my favorite ever. You don't look a day over 30 in that photo, SERIOUSLY.

Celtic house said...

Ah that looks like a fabulous day all those colours absolutely stunning

Crafting With Jack said...

Fabulous photographs Helen. I I must be so peaceful early in the morning x