Saturday, June 19, 2021

Kew

 I can't think of a witty title this week!  It was dull and cool after a week with a few days really hot and some heavy rain....

No rain was forecast today but there were spits in the air as we entered at 8

(it didn't come to much) 






I took a quick walk down the Broad Walk
raindrops on alliums 

but decided to head to the Evolution Garden


passing the weeping beech



I'd been talking tomy friend at the gate, we knew that the rain of the last couple of days would have done for the peonies and the poppies

we were right!


but there was plenty of colour


love these daisy-like flowers 

more evidence of rain damage!

poor delphiniums!
and to the roses along the pergola too


love this mauvey rose, I didn't notice it last week

the wild bed I loved last week was still looking good, 

and this week there were cornflowers too,  I love the bright blue

the alpine house behind the wall to the rock garden, 






got a close up on the phone 



the waterfall in the rock garden


the doors to the alpine house were open and there was a Kew man there, so I asked him what had been happening last week - he said it was being used for filming ; but I don't know what!  





there were some bees that seemed to be stuck on these purple flowers,  I think it was too cold for them to move!

waking through the Duke's garden










pleased to see the eryingium out  (sea holly)



and some on the Broad Walk too as I headed back that way



went round the back of the pond 


there was enough brightness to shine through the gunnera leaves,
which are now head height


I headed along the path towards the Temperate House,
past the Sand dunes Plantscape


the Please Be Seated was still too wet to sit on today...
so I headed straight  round the outside of the Temperate House (not open yet)  where some poppies were growing in the grass at the top of the slope,  with the TH making a nice backdrop


at the lake I swapped to the wider angle lens for some reflections
I do like the swirly shape of the crossing

there really was a gaggle of geese at the lake side today, I know Elizabeth thinks it funny I photograph them so often 






















more ox eye daisies further along the lake

as I neared the top of the lake I could see the heron on it's regular spot,

round the bend there was a break in the greenery which allowed me to get a closer shot

smoke bush

back along the path, into the Temperate House


just inside the door stopped to look at the agapanthas









I really liked the colours and shapes on part of the Bird of Paradise 
in the next smaller part of the TH now, I got obsessed by the passionflowers

and spent ages crouching and sitting and trying to get close ups 




which blogger has decided to add out of order and I can't be bothered to move them all!

some of them were facing up and some down (hence the sitting on the floor)  


I really hope when the once again delayed relaxing of Covid restrictions happen, we can have free reign in the glasshouses and walk the paths we want to!

till then, it's peering over barriers!



large ferns unfurling 
smaller ferns overhanging the path
I couldn't read the boards behind the corn to see exactly why it's growing in the Temperate House that amused Elizabeth last time,  but it is something to do with alternative fuel sources I think



there were even more poppies in the long (but largely rain flattened) grass in the path the other side of the Temperate House as I came out








I headed back towards the cafe


I spent a while trying to catch the raindrops on the cistus

spiky thistle

headed across the grass at the end of the Palm House to get refreshments



which I ate on the curvy WWI memorial bench overlooking the pond

another cookie this week, but hot chocolate today!  anyone would think it was winter! 
then it was into the waterlily house

this huge lotus flower inside the front door caught my eye 





















it was cooler outside today so had the misting problem with the lens, and even the cloth didn't help much


waterlily emerging from the pond
























my Mum always had these as houseplants but they didn't have such warm/humid environments to live in.   Not sure what the Latin name is,the common name is shrimp plant
I love them, soft and fluffy!





into the Princess of Wales now

ferns unfurling here too

my fave!
outside in the Marshes and Meadows plantscape,

I crawled under to poke my heasd through one of the viewing holes - couldn't get a good pic as the flowers were too close to me really

great fun though
beautiful pink rose
I've lost track of where I am now!  
back on the Broad Walk



the alliums at the end nearest the pond are gone over, 











but the other end there are some giant stuneners
and blogger has added them in reverse order
again!!







I took lots, I can't resist 

they are so beautiful though

it was nearly time to head for my train (yes, train) home,  so I went to the loo and on the way back to the exit  is a huge peony shrub,  totally flattened from the rain,  I lifted up this huge flower from the path - what a beauty!!  



and some more giant alliums

lovely bright foxglove
because I was going out of the other gate, I went past the Indian Horse Chestnuts,  they are absolutely huge and covered in flowers









I am hoping next week will be warm and sunny  (it's not forecast to be)  and that there will be good cake selection as it's my birthday and I want a treat, lol!!  

Till then, thanks for looking!







5 comments:

Celtic house said...

Oh it is all looking so very pretty at the moment isn't it, despite the rain damage. The delphiniums definitely looked a little bedraggled but the cornflowers are stunning and really a beautiful pop of colour. The water lilies are also stunning, I'm always amazed at how big then can grow

The hot chocolate and cookie sound lovely, but I totally get where you are coming from on the hot chocolate and summer statement, we are having a mixed bag of weather currently aren't we.

Hugs

Twiglet said...

Such lovely photos Helen and yes I can see now what was fooling me - I think heron had his neck tucked in on your FB one. Beautiful bird isn't it. xx Jo

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I was about to leave a comment when my friend Scott showed up. I'll be by later for a proper look at today's trip to Kew.

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

Lovely that you can visit every week and see something new every time!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

It's ONLY taken me five days to return. But I'm here now! Loved seeing the pots around the pond are filled and beautiful. That large one is in need of some TLC.

LOVELY weeping beech. Your rain damage reminds me of what the storm did to my herbs. Wow! The poppies, daisies?, and cornflowers are stunning together. I'd love something like that in my front flower bed.

Always LOVE the rock garden waterfall. I'd love to know what those flowers are in photo 29. I know they are not in bloom yet, but they are stunning just the way they are.

I agree that the swirly reflections are beautiful. You have an eye for those things. Yes, I laugh because the geese are SO predominant in my neighborhood. We can't get rid of them because people bring them food. Beautiful shots of the heron.

Still LOVE anything Bird of Paradise, since they are too fragile for my climate. The passionflowers are stunning. Well worth your time.

Ah, now I understand the corn. Corn as an alternative fuel source has been touted to be cleaner and burns more slowly than gas, coal, etc. The cob burns hot and slow and can be used in furnaces and wood burning fireplaces. Husks and stalks, normally tilled into the ground, can be used in the fuel process, too.

You are making me hungry. I want a cookie and hot chocolate, too!!! Only, I want mine to cool first, because it's already so hot here, I have my AC on.

Alliums are beautiful and I can see why you took so many photos of them. And I also hope there is cake for your birthday. At least you get to visit your happy place!!!