Saturday, May 22, 2021

Kew - inside and out

 Today was the first time since the relaxing of restrictions that I would be able to visit inside the glasshouses.  My next few weeks'  timeslots are all for 8am so it's back to rising with the lark. I am really hoping that if lockdown does ease further in June that I won't need to pre-book for too much longer.

I was first in line and headed for my regular opening shot.  the beds have indeed been cleared, and they are starting the summer planting.


I was also interested to see in the round beds at either end of the pond, a new structure in situ - will be looking forward to what they fill this with


you can just see in the corner of the previous photos these -  the baby goslings - growing fast - all huddled together sleeping and keeping warm!

cute!! 
I headed down the Broad Walk first;  

there's been a lot of rain here this week, and overnight - it was trying to rain on and off for a while during my visit


the tulips are still glorious  - I love the variety they've picked this year, which seem to be in abundance all over the gardens.


so, yes, raindrops!




then I got carried away with the alliums - no apologies, they are lovely, my favourite I think  



they seem to be growing in a large arc shape in the beds this year, rather than a straighter line.  They look amazing 





I'd love to have somewhere to grow them at home, in this number!  






as you get to the end of the first length of bed, where the path takes you round to the Hive, there are the red tulips - now fading and petals falling, but I still thought them worthy of capturing, they still look so pretty
the next section of Broad Walk bed has white alliums in similarly large drifts

iris
then I went to see the wisteria,  
round by the Princess of Wales glasshouses

the glasshouses aren't unlocked until 10 so I walked round the edge of the Rock Garden next 


and into the Evolution Garden


this was really pretty!  
the label says it's chaerophyllum 





puddle pictures - the Temperate House 



"Please Be Seated"  I did, but only for a moment or two 
as I walked round the other side of the Temperate House, 2 geese flew through shot...










I headed round past the Treetop Walkway

towards the lake

the walkway is still closed, the single staircase and COVID social distancing requirements prevent access

I just love this wild free planting


I crossed the lake and walked up to the top end 

past the laburnum at the lakeside... and yes, I forgot to go and see the arch in the Palace garden AGAIN!  

I walked through the woodland area - the bluebells were still in flower,  I know there are smaller groups elsewhere still in the gardens but I had hoped these would still be here, 

I've not walked through here the last couple of weeks due to time/weather so it was nice to see - and smell!

there were little flashes of pink in the midst of the blue...
I found some at the side of the path too for a closer look 

Japanese Garden

no sign of the peacock today



Fatsia japonica


back at the Temperate House I decided to sit (lie down) for a few minutes before they opened up at 10 
It was nearly completely dry - apparently the wood dries out very quickly after showers 


sadly at the moment it is still one way only and just down the central part - but better than nothing!



the strelitzia (bird of paradise flower)  were looking fabulous -


orange...
and yellow varieties


the yellow ones were in large tubs at the side of a doorway intersection between 2 of the "rooms"

I look more on my phone









the tree ferns are really well established now since the refurbishment 


relatively few people inside yet, just how I like it
at the far end 
then it was time to head to the gallery for a look at the new exhibition  Naturally Brilliant Colour

There were quite a few people inside enjoying this, so I had a fairly brief look and will be back several times (it's on until late September)

I am not very scientifically minded but according to the leaflet 
"from the very origins of colour on Earth to the modern day, discover the ways in which artists have attempted to depict nature's brightest colours"

it was very dim inside so my camera didn't much like it but I got a few pics with my phone 






the Kew website has more details  and I'll capture more of it next time 

I was thinking of heading home but realised I hadn't been into the Palm House


they were letting people in quite close together and there was a long snaking line of people walking through,  
the humidity was as usual playing havoc with the camera so there aren't many good photos, but there wasn't space to stand and let the lens un-fog so I had to go with it!


then had the same problem in the Waterlily House

so I took a couple of general pics with the phone

inside the main front door and the actual waterlily room is a new set up - either side of the path, they've put small "ponds" -  will see what develops here.

The waterlily house was featured on the second episode in the TV series being shown on Channel 5 - 2 more to come.  They followed Kew for a year, season by season. 
next up, the Princess of Wales glasshouse


again, one way direction and only part of it accessible.


first zone is the desert cactus section (just for Elizabeth)















I was pleased though that this time we were allowed through the cool and hot orchid rooms



not as many to see as during the festival (which was cancelled this year) 

but it was good to walk this way
and on the way out my favourites in here!



then a quick walk through the alpine house


more alliums  

some pretty little aquilegia





on my way back to the exit I walked through the lower part of the rock garden

and took some general views for Elizabeth




at the far end of the rock garden is a gorgeous splash of violet from these irises

so pretty!


Thanks for looking.


5 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Ah, it was good to see the beds have been cleared and some new plantings. Will there be a theme, or ???

I not only saw the goslings, I saw mom and dad watching from a distance outside that circle of freshly created dirt.

I knew it wouldn't be long until I saw your purple alliums and I was correct.

The beautiful iris, unlike mine that didn't bloom this year.

I fell in love with photo 31. It was gorgeous with all that green in different hues.

The bluebells are beautiful. I wish they grew here. the Japanese garden is looking lush, too.

I love Bird of Paradise and wasn't aware there were so many different colors. Kate in Spain of Friday Smiles has a purple one she showed last week.

Interesting color display. I liked the sine waves.

Photo 69 in the Waterlily House is awesome. And I'm glad you read my mind. I was just wondering if there would be an orchid festival and I see it's been canceled. And those irises you showed at the end were beautiful. Very similar to mine, in fact. Thanks for taking me with you today. I liked the new color exhibit.

Lynnecrafts said...

How lovely Helen to see all the inside areas again. Stunning photos,many thanks. I adore the Japanese garden.
Hugs
Lynnecrafts 7

Crafting With Jack said...

Fabulous photographs Helen x. Angela #12

Celtic house said...

That looks like a fab day out, hubby spotted the new exhibition on his news feed recently, we are hoping to check out the new exhibition at ysp on Sunday.hope you enjoy this week's visit and I too will be glad when we can be more spontaneous

Diana Taylor said...

Oh those Alliums - they are just heavenly! So nice for you to be able to get into the glass houses again after all this time - certainly some spectacular Bird of Paradise plants. Thank you so much for sharing these gorgeous photos.
Diana xx