Saturday, May 1, 2021

Early morning at Kew

 My favourite part of being a Kew member is being able to visit at 8am between May and September.  Such a treat. Had to go by bus (and will for the whole of  May as there are no trains from home into London Victoria (signalling improvements) which is ok on the way that early as the roads are empty... Let's not talk about home journey....

Anyhow, I set off just before 6.30 for the bus  

it was COLD but sunny...










I was first at the gates for the first time in a while and had a cold half hour waiting for opening 
they haven't emptied the beds yet - the imperial fritillaria are nearly completely gone over now so maybe they'll take them out and leave the rest a while


the blue sky belies how cold it felt!  
the view of the pond was glowing in the sunshine 
crouched down for a lower view over the urns



there were a pair of swans at the top of the Broad Walk


they've deadheaded the tulips from this bed but I like how the leaves poke through the yellow bedding plants



this summer, Kew has a feature called The Secret Life of Plants; with several installations featuring different environments


I'll get more as the weeks go on..and it will be good to see the planting develop


this is moorlands



the early light is what I love so much about 8am visits!  it's worth the lack of sleep and cold starts!




rhododendrons behind the sculptured face
at the head of the Evolution Garden,  (that light again!)

the euphorbia were just WOW  

a few more of the peonies were opening 


looking through the rose pergola to the other side of the Evolution Garden... lots more colour now, and the growth is amazing in a week



the patch of Pasqueflower in the garden (as opposed to up on the top path of the Rock Garden)
caught me again... touched by frost

beautiful... get carried away always


they are so delicate 
and I love the fluffy seed heads

took this on the phone 


just love them  


a bright pink over an arch in the vegetable borders attracted me.... 


these have grown so much since last week


clematis climbing the wall with forms the boundary between rock garden and evolution garden
over in the Duke's Garden a massive cloud of white blossom drew me in...



Japanese crab (malus)











it really is huge.

and stunningly beautiful


I walked back past the Alpine House
these were on another of the installations but I didn't record which - next time!


the big wisteria is slowly developing

next I headed back into the centre of the gardens more.


lilac


beautiful
the gates to the Children's playground were shut,  but i like the leafy design



a creamy yellow magnolia

I walked round the outside of the Children's garden, as I couldn't get in.

there are a row of these inside towering about the fencing

another installation, brightly coloured blocks with planting on the "rooves"  

clumps of bluebells under trees
rhododendron 
more camassia

big drifts  


I always forget they are here, along the boundary to Kew with the river behind




it was time to cross the path to the lake and then head to the woodland bluebell area







I love how the light shimmers on the bluebells


















it was still early but plenty of other members were enjoying the early light








including this lady who had more photographic equipment than me  


blogger is suddenly being a pain and loading photos out of order on my walk along the path























I found myself at the other side of the pond partway between the pagoda and the lake 



at Cherry Walk by the Temperate house, the tulips are beautiful 


a lot of the blossom is falling....
it looks like little flowers actually growing in the grass!  


in front of the Temperate House is another installation  
I already adore it 
the planting  referred to is to follow, a lady who was on hand to explain and inform visitors said there had been a delay in distribution


it invites you to sit - 
which i did 



you get some great views whilst you rest!  


and from a way off to see it all


you can tell I love it yes?!  


it's a wood thing.  I love wood.  so tactile. 

and the curves are gorgeous 
close by is another installation 

Hedgerows this one is about




i like how they are all at different levels


will try and read more about the reasons behind all of these for you!
I obviously didn't photograph the display sign on this yet 


couldn't resist another pic as I walked away

a lot of the camellias have been damaged by frost but this one was still pretty perfect 








I stopped and sat on the WWI memorial bench for refreshments





before heading round behind the palm house pond - the swans had moved too



another quick walk through the evolution garden again 


blue and white bluebells... 
I crosssed the Broad Walk, the tulips still beautiful
and so was the massive pink whatever type of flowering  tree it is!




tree fern planted outside the waterlily house looking to the palm house beds



tulips just outside the waterlily house


Thanks for looking.  join me again at the same time next week!



4 comments:

Lillianb said...

great pictures who needs his big camera when you take lovely pictures

Lilian B #10

Crafting With Jack said...

Such fabulous flowers, love the tulips in the long grass. So much to delight the eye at Kew. Angela #23

Celtic house said...

I'm guessing todays photos will have a lot less blue sky if our weather is anything to go by. Love the seating installation chatsworth did one a few years ago which I loved xxx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I was told by my teen friends in CA that they were upset that I had not visited you for two weeks. I tried to explain how busy I had been making art in April, but that I had at least read your lovely posts. They told me I needed to correct that, because they visit your photo blog probably as much, or possibly more, than mine. I promised I would rectify that today.

Like you, I absolutely adore that new bench installation. I love how it undulates and is also functional. Form and function make for a great installation.

I hope the teens see I've been here. Now I'm off to see your latest post so I can assure the teens I'm caught up at Kew.