Saturday, May 8, 2021

Kew - in the rain!

 The forecast was (sadly)  accurate today  - heavy rain from the get-go... but I had an 8am time slot again (booked up to the end of July so far) and even though I thought about cancelling, I thought - it's only water....

Strangely enough, I was first there and on my own in the queue until shortly before 8 when 2 or 3 other hardy (stupid?!) souls also turned up.

I had to resort to taking my big unwieldy Kew umbrella but it was just as well I did

I got wet enough using it - it is difficult to manage this plus camera plus camera bag... 

headed down the Broad Walk   - you'll be surprised to see raindrops on flowers!! 











turning round - you can see big puddles at the top of the Broad Walk just by the round bed

I was delighted to see the alliums (my favourites... well one of my favourites)  starting to flower.

missed them last year in Lockdown.






rain on everything


I walked round to the Hive  where the grasses at the foot of the wildflower meadow were.... wet

Not sure if you can get the idea of the rain bouncing off the floor of the Hive.  I stayed in the entrance, I know from experience it can be a bit slippy when wet... 

the huge wisteria is coming along, but still not covered in blooms. It seems very late this year but that could be my memory

the pasque flowers along the top path of the Rock Garden are now just fluffy beauty 


I was managing to crouch down for close ups despite the cumbersome umbrella 
round the bottom side of the Rock Garden,

a few more raindrops
and the pasque flowers in the Evolution garden are still in flower, albeit fading 










I did manage to take some on the phone too, this peony with raindrops 
the ones on the camera were a bit blurry









then I walked round behind the Palm House along the back of the Rose Garden

where there is another plantscape as part of "Secret World of Plants"


this one, Woodlands

I love this with the Palm House in the background 

during the summer the trees in the installation will no doubt grow out and it will be interesting to see how much they block out!



most of the blossom is past it's best now or dropped,  but there is some still on branches...

oh look., raindrops!

I tried to keep to paths rather than the wet grass as much as possible  
the Meditteranean Garden -  the Judas tree is stunning  
a couple of years ago this was one of the stages for some of the Chihuly glass.  
but i did go down to get a close up


just round the corner are the tulips in Cherry Walk leading to the Temperate House

shame it's still shut (Covid)  it was lashing down again and I could have done with shelter.



this installation got you talking last week - I love it - it is designed as seating (see below)

but was too wet to use today!

but it frames the Temperate House nicely as it is intended   the cistus have been planted in the centre but they're not very exciting yet!

weirdly, I didn't linger anywhere very long but did cross the grass to see this and that!


the (closed) TreetopWalkway from a distance... the trees were quite bright even in the gloom of the rain 
it may have stopped at this point... temporarily! 

I can't remember what this one is and didn't go closer today; sorry!


the grassy walk to the Palm House
but I headed down the path instead 

round the corner is another plantscape








pausing by the Palm House briefly


I debated food but there was nowhere to sit that wasn't sopping wet and of course we can't eat inside yet (another 10 days)  





so abandoned refreshments

walking round the pond 



just after the gunnera but before thanks to blogger,
4 dinky cute  Canada geese babies...
mum and dad taking them for a walk 
there was a lady filming them on her phone 
they were so sweet!!!  
as I said,  blooming blogger is loading my groups of photos in reverse order..


the gunnera is starting to sprout - I made sure to check when Chris (Pearshaped Chris) mentioned seeing some on one of her trips.


round the corner of the pond, another mum and dad goose - this time with 5 babies!


headed to the top of the Broad Walk again 




now that the rain had stopped and i could put my umbrella down, I had another look down the Broad Walk


ferns unfurling....



tulips still wet
the round bed at the other end of the Broad Walk still has its tulips in place, although the petals are falling as you can see










these are nearly finished too







at the far end of the path, near the gates I usually leave by (but not on days I have to use the bus)  are some beds of red tulips with beautiful purple underplanting... 

I went to look - I love this colour mix 
love them


I wandered back towards the exit I needed


last few bits of blossom


patch of wildflowers,  daisies and buttercups




couldn't see a label on this 
 I walked back through the Evolution garden to the exit

noticed a white peony with purple markings.

never seen that before
that arch is the gorgeous clematis I showed last week


and that pink peony again

focused this time!

I decided 3 hours in mostly rain, and facing a longer than normal journey home was enough!

thanks for looking!  hope for sun next week (but I've seen the forecast!)  

3 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

It appears they have cleaned up the beds in front of the Palm House. Lots of water standing, like at the top of the Broad Walk and yes, I could see raindrops falling in the hive.

Beautiful phone photo of the peony. Lots of p's in that sentence.

I was fascinated by the Woodlands. It's a great cause and it would be a shame for these ancient woods to disappear. So glad Kew is part of the reforestation project. That installation is amazing. I had to enlarge to appreciate those tiny trees. Tall, but thin.

I'm always really amazed at the tulips that seem to just spring forth in those grasses. Every year when I see them, I'm in awe.

Still loving the bench, but I thought they planted rock roses in the center. Those sure don't look like roses to me.

I remember you talking about that installation in photo 35 last week. I also like the way the planters step up in different heights.

I was really fascinated by the sand dunes, because I have seen those here on the east coast by the sea. In fact, the installation looked much like real dunes I've seen.

I have to laugh that you get such a kick out of those geese. They live in my neighborhood because people feed them. And they leave all kinds of poop, too. The geese, not the people.

I'm also a big fan of red and purple, too. Those tulips are gorgeous. Beautiful flowers, even in the rain. Thanks for taking me with you, and I didn't even get wet.

Diana Taylor said...

Your photos are beautiful - the raindrops are so pretty, like little diamonds. I love the tulips on the Cherry Walk - they look so wild and natural, I think that has to be one of the loveliest tulip plantings I've seen. I think I might have spent the whole visit following those adorable baby geese around!
Thanks for sharing them
Diana xx

Celtic house said...

Still beautiful photos despite the rain, love the fern uncurling, I know the weather up here isn't great this weekend, not sure what it is like where you are, hope you get another good visit. We've done YSP today given the weekend forecast