Saturday, April 3, 2021

Kew - after another long gap

 As soon as the start of lifting of Covid-19  restrictions were announced I booked some slots for Kew and today was the first - hopefully of many!

What I didn't realise until I got there, is that there was a 9am slot (Easter weekend) that if I'd known about I would have tried for.  But no matter, 10am and I was in!  It's a cold dull day today sadly but you can't have everything!

joy of joys, the beds in front of the Palm House are fully planted and blooming - I'd seem them on the TV this week so had a sneak preview of the design

there are also 2  heart shaped beds at either end of the path alongside the pond, planted with a mixture of yellow bulbs
a sign tells you about it (they showed a drone shot on the TV so you could see it from the air, sadly not an option I have!)
they do look beautiful though

I pulled my hood up over my head and set off alongside the Palm House beds


the urns alongside the pond are also planted
I didn't get too close, I can't stand the scent of hyacinths!
and there are some early tulips flowering in another bed at the top of the Broad Walk

between the Broad Walk and the Princess of Wales glasshouse is a little grove of flowering cherries


this pink one is stunning and shows up even against the grey sky unlike the white ones
euphorbia
I've missed the bright acid green of these







I diverted off to the right to the side of the Rock Garden  next
the Pasque flowers are always gorgeous for Easter (it's name derives from the Hebrew for Passover which is this time of year of course)




I lifted one of the flowers to see the centre, as I couldn't  get my camera low enough to take a picture otherwise

There wasn't much blooming in the Evolution Garden, it's the wrong time of year, all cut back to new growth will soon emerge..


so it was time to head for blossom!!
I started with the Palm House Pond and the gorgeous flowering cherry

that droops  on long branches

it's always stunning, even though the blossom only lasts a short while



turning round for one last look (for today)

we'll head for those beside the Palm House!


whilst a lot of the daffodils have finished, there are pockets still blooming, under the cherries




I always forget how glorious they look in Spring!

a blue sky would have been advantageous, but maybe next week!




there are lots of legs going by because this forms part of the "Beano" trail (a UK comic) featuring Dennis the Menace and his pals) 



I decided to leave the little people to the trail and went a different way






the flowering cherries and the tulips in the beds near the Temperate House are on the way but not yet out - so will be a treat to come soon

walking round the Temperate House, the flowering cherries the other end are beautiful though




I headed up the garden towards the Japanese Garden  past the Pagoda as there are more flowering gorgeousness there 


none of the buildings or glasshouses are open yet (COVID restrictions)  


the Great White Cherry is just stunning


as I rounded the corner I saw a crowd of people on the path - then saw why -   just as the peacock lowered his tail feathers!
sweeping the gravel!


I cut across the garden to the path that leads to the lake
 
Ribes - flowering currant



rhododendrons 



the little pond half way up the pathway
more Dennis fun


skirting the top of the lake,  not a lot to see,

some fluffy bullrushes




I cut across to the rhododendron dell

and headed for the magnolias

this is a little azalea I think


the lady I see often at the gate (who I had seen today)  had said that this was really muddy a few weeks ago - she is more local than me so been able to keep visiting)




underplanted with daffodils










the snakeshead fritilliaries are coming out

forsythia looking stunning








heading towards the rear of the Palm House next,


framing the Palm House with the Japanese Cherries







heading past the top of the beds at the Palm House, a closer look

and the heart shaped bed (it's roped off as they are re-seeing the grass round the beds so you can't get as close as I'd like)





I managed not to topple into the pond taking this, always a plus!


it wouldn't be Kew without cake - although a limited choice today- banana muffin, wasn't as good as I've had before - and a hot chocolate (which was!)  


I sat for a few minutes, 

then walked past the beds at the Palm House again on my way out





these magnolias look like they've been dusted with gold but I think have actually been touched by frost
as I went back down the Broad Walk towards my exit I went to look at another huge magnolia


to the left in the distance was the drift of the Chionodoxa (glory of the snow)  so I had to go and see them too

a great carpet!
a tulip bed mirroring the one at the other end of the Broad Walk
love this colour, in another bed 
and towards the exit now

the magnolias on the corner by the exit (entrance)
at the Elizabeth Gate


what a gorgeous trip, how I have missed it!


Let's go again soon!  

5 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

The plants in the beds in front of the Palm House are gorgeous. They certainly look colorful and are well filled in. The Hearts are lovely, too. Nice that the urns are planted. I have several hyacinths and mine don't smell at all. I keep reading how wonderful they smell. I got right down next to mine and there is NO scent to them. LOVE the tulips, too. The flowering cherry trees are incredible. I think the magnolias are my favorite. Of course, the daffs are beautiful, too. So glad you got to visit Kew. I've missed it, too. After all, about all I can do is live vicariously. I was surprised some people weren't wearing masks, though.



Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Forgot to wish you a Happy Easter, dear Helen.

Spyder said...

Oh my goodness! I haven't been in years and years...I mean years I was probably two or three at the time! The colours are lovely, and I was thinking I should go cover all my flowering flowers cos of this sudden cold spell; I think I'll do a flowering post too! It promises of lovely things to come! ((Lyn))

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

Beautiful flowers and blossoms - you went just at the right time to enjoy them!

Celtic house said...

oh thank you for taking me for a trip to Kew gardens, absolutely stunning photos as always, I should imagine the yellow heart ones look amazing from above, but like you said - drone required lol. Loving all the beautiful spring blossom, I think I would have been tempted to do the Dennis the Menace trail I hate to think I'm missing out lol. I hope you enjoyed your visit and hopefully you have another one booked in soon.

Hugs