Saturday, April 17, 2021

Sun at Kew!

 Today we had sun,  I was lucky to find a 9am slot for Kew, rather than the later one I had originally obtained, and set off in cold but glorious sunshine.  I wasn't going to have long there today as I wanted to be home to watch the televised funeral for the Duke of Edinburgh.

So it was a bit of a mad dash round in the beautiful weather, but well worth it... settle back and enjoy!

Engineering works on the railway caused my train to be a bit late but as I took my brisk 15 minute walk to the entrance I paused long enough on the bridge to take this... Not seen blue sky like this for weeks here!

I got to the gates to queue up moments before 9 and after a couple of minutes delay they let us in!!

My starting point as always...

the blooms in these beds are starting to fade now



but the tulips in the round bed at the top of the Broad Walk have opened and were glowingly translucently in the sunshine.

gorgeous!!

I crisscrossed the Broad Walk one side to the other for the blossom

















even took a selfie seeing as I had a haircut this week and am red headed again at last!! 
and some large patches of daffodils 
underplanting the trees




Bed of tulips outside the waterlily house - as I approached I could see they have filled the pond again and it is planted up for the summer ready for when we can go in and enjoy it once more - hopefully soon
this is taken through the window - so the best I can do for now
urn at the top of the slope outside the Palm House, they go round the back as well as the edge of the pond as you can see
Palm House from across the rose garden


there is a holly hedge that runs behind the path round the rose garden and behind it are some beautiful trees





these are at the start of the Beano trail which finishes this weekend 
I knew last week they would look so much better with blue sky behind them!  


the flowering cherry trees towards the Temperate House - what a pink!

I even took the time to change lenses so you can see the overall effect



the doors were open to allow air in but no people yet!  














I went to the doorway and peered inside 
I have missed walking through here - and of course last time we were allowed in, you could only go one way and a shortened route - but it was nice to peek inside
I walked round the outside, peeking through what doors I could get close to


before then heading down the other side of the Cherry Walk  



and off towards the Japanese Garden


they change so much in the space of a week


this is a Pieris - lily of the valley bush.

I've always wanted one of these but don't think my patch of garden is really big enough

I love it;s red and green leaves (that I didn't get in shot)



I walked round the lake to the halfway point

as I knew there would be great reflections and a big blue sky!














I'm only putting in another selfie because I love my haircut and it looks so much better than this time last week!!




then I walked back up the other side of the lake and to the woodland walk to see how the bluebells are developing ....














a very few is the answer but they won't be long.

I'll come back again next week 















from there I walked back past the Temperate House pausing for more blossom 



TH in the background


close up of the pink blossom








I walked round the pond 


and into the rock garden  I wanted to see if the large patch of Pasque Flowers were still blooming -  some going to seed


blogger is suddenly loading my pics out of order, but yes, the answer they are! 


they look so silky soft!  I love them 


I walked past what I think of as the  "rear" door of the Princess of Wales glasshouse
as I knew they were displaying some orchids 

the festival was cancelled this year of course, but we get to see a few through the window!






just along from the POW is a massive tree - a Malus -  looking beautiful 

but it was time to head home


tulips at the other end of the Broad Walk
and then the bed at the exit


i think next week is also meant to be nice weather, so I will have time to spend longer - till then, thanks for looking!  


5 comments:

craftimamma said...

Lovely for you to be back at your favourite place Helen and some stunning pics to show for it. The blossom trees are truly stunning and I love the
blue sky and reflections over the lake. I hope the weather is as kind to you next week so you can savour your visit a little m Lesley Xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh Helen, what a treat this is! I only popped by to see if you had 'been' only to find that you went last week too! I do hope we can get there this year although we have RHS Bridgwater opening here in May which I am really looking forward to visiting.
Hair looks great BTW! Hugs, Chrisx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I have no idea how I missed this. Right now, I don't have time to visit, but I'll be back soon.

Diana Taylor said...

Well that was an absolute delight, I am so glad you are back to visiting and sharing your wonderful photos. I love all that blossom, it looks quite magical. Fingers crossed this lovely sunshine stays with us. I love the hair, it must feel great to have your hair done after all this time - I've been cutting my own all through lockdown but I know I'll feel better when I get a professional cut!
Have a great week,
Diana xx

Celtic house said...

Oh that looks like a fabulous blue skies visit to Kew, I must admit the blossom this years seems particularly spectacular, I'm loving the new hair colour too. Hope you've had another great visit to Kew xxxxx