Saturday, April 10, 2021

still chilly at Kew

 I have time slots booked for the next few weeks at Kew; so stand by for lots of photos!  Here are today's,  once again it was cold and grey... 

my normal starting point
with a plant guide for you - lots of you queried the tall ones - yes, imperial fritillarias.  
the tulips are developing, they'll be open soon if they get some sun





as it was early (well, 10)  I went to the Hive where it was empty but the lights (and the music that you can't hear) show the bees in the hives are busy
back down  from the Hive  I stopped to look at the daffodils outside the (still closed) Princes of Wales glasshouse


and some iris outside the Alpine House


you can't go in here either but the doors were open and someone was watering the plants - I had a look through the door
outside in the Rock Garden,  teeny daffodils


I walked round the left hand path 
before walking through the Evolution Garden






then walked back round to the pond by the Palm House






the japanese cherry is fading - I was lucky last week obviously to catch it before it started fading




but it is still pretty

I followed the path past the "heart"  bed (see last week)



and tentatively sniffed at the hyacinths - these aren't too strongly scented so didn't offend me!!
and took the "Beano" trail - children's event that is still on, although I avoided the comic references.

some of the blossoms here are starting to fade too, but lots still on the trees and there are plenty that still look stunning


with the Palm House in the background


at the Japanese Garden


so much blossom everywhere you look

this is on the way back to the Temperate House



darker pink, flowering cherry trees in Cherry Walk 

I ran up the grass slope outside the Temperate House and took one from the top
and walked round the outside of the TH to the other side of CherryWalk,

with the underplanted tulips - they seem to be developing - I shall keep an eye on them 


the blossom on the trees has definitely developed in a week



looking back from the corner down to the Temperate House

cut across the grass and down the path to the Victoria Gate entrance






i debated stopping for a drink but decided to head home so
daffodils in the Broad Walk
blurring the euphorbia with blossom behind


and some pretty tulips

the round bed at the far end of the Broad Walk

and the purple bed nearest the Elizabeth gate exit



a short visit today, it was now trying to spit with rain and I decided to cut it short - but will be back next week

I could only get a 11am time slot so will be a lie in for sure!  
thanks for looking again 



4 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Thank you for showing the layout of the Palm House Parterre. There is SO much going on in each of these beds. It's almost overwhelming.

My tulips are nearly through blooming. I was surprised the ones at Kew were not yet in bloom. I'm sure they will soon show spectacular blooms and incredible photos, too.

Those tiny daffs outside the Alpine House are beautiful. The rock garden looks lovely, too.

I'm always amazed at how people say hyacinths have a strong scent. Mine don't smell at all. I've even gotten down close to the ground and smell nothing. And I have an excellent sniffer, too!

The cherry blossoms are beautiful. I remember we had a cherry tree in my back yard when I was a child. I don't think I appreciated the beauty of the blooms, though.

Thanks for taking us with you. And I didn't even feel a bit of rain (tee hee).

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

So much blossom! It must be like a wonderland walking around there!

Celtic house said...

It looks like another lovely trip to Kew, I love how beautiful he tulips look, they always make an amazing display when you see them in such prolific numbers, not quite the same as the pot I have at home, which had a meagre show this year to say the very least!

I hope your weather is kind this weekend for more trips to Kew

xxx

pearshapedcrafting said...

I must say Kew does look better in bright sun. I have just popped back and seen last weeks visit too - so pleased that it was better weather this week! I loved seeing the big patch of Glory of The Snow - I wish I had dug up some from the caravan, from a small area they stretched right up the side of the caravan the year before we left. Hugs, Chrisx