Saturday, December 12, 2020

Back to Kew - I've missed it again

 I was able to book - and use - a time slot for Kew today so headed off on a chilly slightly drizzly morning..

I started at the Palm House, where the beds are planted with what looks like primulas I think 
I walked round the side of the pond, where a large frame sits (for Christmas at Kew illuminated photography)


the dogwoods round the pond gave a bit of colour on a dull day


most of the trees have lost all their leaves since my last visit at the end of October
I decided to go into the Princess of Wales glasshouse first...






  


no sign of "Harry" the chinese water dragon - his hidey-holes have all been cut back for the winter, everything has been given a haircut

















there weren't many blooms on the grevillea either


I went round to the Alpine House and took a pic of the grass garden from inside

scilla still blooming in the alpine house
outside in the rock garden, raindrops on the Aeonium - they're not hardy, so I am surprised they're still going!

in the Evolution Garden again, seedheads were left but lots of the beds cut back for winter and prep for spring to come

grasses and alliums
agapanthas 









berberis




no purple or yellow  flowers left now!



but there is still lots of height across parts of the garden
this was in the centre of a huge bed so way too far away to see any label.

there has been loads of rain lately and the ground underfoot was muddy (even on the paths) and tending to be slippery

but raindrops on euphorbia.... raindrops on anything  - win!win! 
the face sculpture always makes me stop



as I walked round towards the Hive I was stopped in my tracks by a huge expanse of purple from a callicarpa...
the shrub was smothered in them




they look as if someone has been at the berries with a paintbrush, don't they!





I walked up the Broad Walk 

past some very wet euphorbia


looks like the spring bulbs (daffodils) are already through 
Tree fern,  will survive here outside as it's not usually very cold






I went round to the Rose Garden,  part of the trail for this year's Christmas at Kew for the first time....


silk roses.  (I was however showing my age by humming "Paper Roses " - Marie Osmond - to myself....)



BBC Breakfast weather came from here one day in the week and they had put the lights on for it
they did look fabulous changing colours, but they look pretty good just in white!

I'll try and get a photo of the whole thing next week, there are loads of them


the Cathedral of Light is back again (that definitely looks better in the dark!)
these feathery looking grasses are quite pretty
against a gloomy grey sky!

signs illuminated on the paths -  you can't see it walking the other way!
a big Christmas tree (well baubles anyway)
so of course....






makes a change from shadow selfies - no chance of those today!

there were some gorgeous wicker animals along the path...
I loved this giant squirrel grabbing his nuts...ooerr!!   
and a pretty robin


more lights 

it's nice to see some of them lit during the day
then I went round the lake,  no reflections today as it was so dull


so I looked at tree trunks instead



Again, a lot of the growth round the lake has been cut back so the view across the water are slightly different




walking back up the grass (muddy) from the lake towards the Pagoda, I went round the back of the hydrangeas through a cleared area

not sure what these are, don't think they are the right shape for the hydrangeas... 


back towards the Temperate House, the cherry trees have been covered in lights again this year

the Temperate House middle sections are full of tubs of narcissus of all colours and varieties 
and they smell lovely (even through my mask!)


couple of pots of orchids, too



at the corner of the main part of the Temperate House, this beauty I remember from when they first re-opened is blooming madly - although they've moved it to the other side of the path)











peeking through the tree ferns tothe waterfall
more pots of narcissus


gorgeous! 


as I came out of the Temperate House there was a glimmer of bright sky in the distance, but it wasn't hanging around!

the big beech tree in front of the gallery has been strung with lights, would love to see that at night!
had to go in to see the Paradise Lost exhibition again 
before heading down the path back to the main entrance

these will be gorgeous at night too


I haven't booked tickets for this year - there are some still available I believe, but I am not sure how you can ensure social distancing in the dark, so I'll be giving it a miss.

I do have more time slots booked though, so watch this space for more weekend visits!

Thanks for looking.  


7 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

It was wonderful to follow you around Kew today. Many of the photos showed how much had been cut back and I actually like that. I also loved seeing the Christmas decorations that will be featured this year. I think it's wise you don't go to the night shows. I remember the year you and Monica (and others) went. It was a mad house to say the least. Thanks for this trip. It's nice to see they have opened again and how pretty Kew looks for Christmas.

Kyla said...

Ooh lovely, even the seed heads look nice. I miss being able to get up to London and Kew but hopefully next year, so love seeing your updates.

Felicia said...

Helen, AS ALWAYS, these photos are GORGEOUS!!!! You really make me want to be there and enjoy with you!! The flowers are amazing! I have to say though, the "grabbing the nuts" photo was a classic! LOLOL Blessings to you!

Celtic house said...

A lovely walk around Kew with you, its amazing how much it changes even in a few weeks, I liked the woven figures the Robin in particular and seeing the spring bulbs is enough to make you smile. Have a lovely weekend xxx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Kew does look beautiful even in the Winter! There is certainly beauty in decay and there is still so much colour around too! Love the Narcissus tubs! One of my favourite flowers! The Christmas decorations and lights look fabulous - can imagine them lit up! We would have gone to a Dunham light evening but couldn't imagine how it would work safely! Next year....! Hugs, Chrisx

Neet said...

Love the purple berries and the face sculpture. So much colour in those berries.
Of course the winter decorations look wonderful, I bet in real life and at night time it is spectacular.
Hugs, Neet xx

Sally H said...

just catching up. What wonderful photos again! love the narcissi and those willow sculptures are wonderful!