Saturday, August 1, 2026

Kew - hot but beautiful

 I am getting bored with the every day is hot now.... But, it's Saturday!





some great shadows as we headed for the lake first 






not a lot of birdlife 
then Mamma mallard and her 5 ducklings came along



she was diving for something!
some good reflections in the green!

wandered slowly around the lake 
just past the lake crossing.







had a look at the Henry at the far end of the lake 
the markings look like paint dripping down from the top


finding random viewpoints 






hmm  do we think I got carried away?! 





probably-  yes !  

then wandered back along the other side of the lake



more shadows 


some beautiful greens in the trees 
at the lake crossing on the other side to earlier
heading back towards free tea! 
more stressed trees changing colour 

free tea but not free cake!  
cram it in H!  

next bite was a bit more delicate 


after breakfast, round the palm house pond 





to the Evolution garden




























agapanthas at the other end of the EG 

in the alpine house, loving the light on the sempervivium 



I think I may get some of these for indoors when the heat dissipates a bit and they will survive the journey home!  



blogger reversing my pics... waterlily outside the front of the POW  
i took a very brief walk through the POW 

little passionflower in the carnivorous room 

not sure what these are, there was one growing just outside as well 



these are just inside the "back" door that I went in through.  


then rejoined Kim at the Carbon garden 





the huge wisteria is having it's 3rd flush of the year!
the purple section of the EG 








When we got back to the Broad Walk Kim decided to head back to the shade of the lake




but I had a quick walk up the Broad Walk, where not a lot apart from my favourite dahlias, caught my eye 
and some matching roses

I just love how dark they are 



Palm House bedding 
from a low level 
the doors of the Palm House were flung open 


I went in from this end (last we we were at the other end)
where it is looking very empty as the prepare for the restoration 
I toyed - VERY briefly - with going up to the viewing platform round the top - but the humidity up there is diabolical so that was a short-lived idea.   would like to do it again before they close though. 
there was a very welcome breeze at the doorway 


I meandered up the vista towards the Double Oval  Henry (another favourite) 














then went to find Kim at the lake 

nearly felt flat on my face getting my feet caught in some fallen twigs and bits of tree in the long grass 

one of the herons was stood in the shallows just at the other side of the lake crossing 

he had quite a crowd watching him 


it must have been a bit cooler on this side of the crossing as there were several Canada geese in the water 
and I think these were Egyptians, towards the island


I like these reflections under the green 







we walked up towards the woodland keeping to shade wherever possible
the benches were full, unusually, but we sat and chatted to Peter for a while 

Goldie emerged from the undergroth



but didn't hang around long. 



One of the foxes was lurking but not keen on coming close enough to capture 
this looks like a path and we did see a few people walking along here, but there is a chain at the end supposedly stopping access.... 
heading back 











a quick walk through the Temperate House on the way back to the exit 


outside some lovely clouds.  We both said what a shame they aren't full of rain! 
and heading through the Mediterranean garden and back to the gate 

thanks for looking  - see you next week. 


No comments: