Saturday, August 15, 2026

Kew - the drought continues

 Still no rain, although the forecast hints at some next week (unless it changes)  It was however a little cooler today 


I headed for my opening shot whilst Kim went to the lake, we'd meet for free tea later!
the planting in the beds either end of the path along the pond at the Palm House has grown tall and hidden the large pot in the centre. 


the dahlias in  the Palm House parterre beds have been gorgeous this year in lots of colours 



petunias on the edge of the pond in their pots 
some of the dahlias are going over a little 
the tall planting hiding the pot at the other end of the pathway
I didn't check out the gorgeous dahlias last week


the light was good on them today


I walked along the Broad Walk 






they've obviously been minimising the watering, and things are starting to flatten over
the cardoon are really suffering hanging over the path, and several stems have been cut back completely
there were still a few allium seedheads left 


lots of flowers have finished early, these yellow daisy type flowers I am sure normally last later than this 
I turned off towards the Hive and took the path that winds up through the wildflower meadow - not many flowers this year, but plenty of wild carrot





this on the phone.  I decided against sitting on the very dusty glass platform to enjoy the atmosphere (though the sound from the beehive wasn't on yet so it was quiet still)  

if you come down from the Hive using the steps (rather than the slope I went up via)  you get a good view across to  the Carbon Garden
walking round to it, there is still lots of colour from the rudbeckia and helenium
I put the other lens on 






light catching the top of the "mushroom"




by now I had the macro back on so couldn't get as wide angle views.


but I was enjoying shooting through the base of the mushroom

this beauty is at the entrance to the Duke's garden and I've been admiring it from the other end of the path for a couple of weeks 


it's called Largerstroemia 


it is such a fabulous colour. 
I don't know what this is though


 rudbeckia along the edge of the grass garden









tree shadows on the shading of the alpine house 


round the corner into the vegetable garden,  for the sunflowers 
lots of pumpkins and squashes as usual 



the sun through the petals was beautiful 


the unusual dwarf "fluffy" ones are still good, though starting to go over
some of the strawflowers are also going to seed
dahlia



a lot of my favourite section of the evolution garden is fading but there is still something to admire
even in seed form of the achillea
I was trying and failing to get both the flowers and the statue in focus.. 

so took one closer up on his own!

I do like the asters with water drops but there haven't been any for weeks!  









there were bees swarming all over the fennel 


but they were fast! 



Leaf Sprite in the sun

the tree outside the POW does always turn colour early - but this is early!   it's been turning for a few weeks now



as I walked back towards the Palm House I noticed a huge tree that has lost a large branch


it looks a very fresh wound and there was signs of sawdust on the earth still from where it had been tidied up
I changed lens to show the size better 

poor tree!  
walking back past the Henry at the pond
parterre bedding in close up
decoration on one of the urns along the pond
palms in the big middle parterre beds






I decided to sit and start my free tea before Kim joined me 

didn't fancy an (overpriced) pastry today and there wasn't a lot else on offer. 


after we'd both finished we headed back to the Henry this end of the Palm House

taken over the pond towards the Broad Walk 
then past the Henry

and the now open Palm House - but neither of us wanted to venture inside 
















shadows on the parched grass 







tree canopy
you may need to enlarge this.  a huge flock of green parakeets flew overhead and circled round over us. 



back at the lake, the mallard ducklings were still there 

they were in and out of the water for food!

swimming through the algae

I didn't really have the right lens on for such closeups
the  swans were hiding by the island under the overhanging greenery

at the lake crossing 




but we stayed on the right hand side as we continued our walk

lake through the trees 


I managed to keep my sunglasses intact this time 


heading for the woodland 



stopping for a water break on the hoof!



at the woodland, Goldie graced us with his presence 







we sat and chatted to Peter for a while, 
but I was getting a numb bum so around 12 I headed off 

walking through the Temperate House on my way back to the exit 

some great shadows 

I exited from a side door and came down the steps and round past another Henry

crossing the grass to another one

this is one of my early favourites that I've not seen for a while!  

and headed back along the path to the exit
stopping for the tallest Henry near the Victoria gate
where on my way out I stopped briefly to take the pots at the entrance

That's it for today, thanks for looking as always.

Today's post is dedicated to my Dad whose birthday it would have been today and to whom I owe my love of photograph.  

Happy 106th birthday, Dad!  













No comments: