Saturday, July 25, 2026

Kew - another hot one

After a few days of slightly cooler weather, today was hot again 













it was definitely hat weather this week (which would prove wise later on)




we headed towards the lake first where it would be cool










shadow selfie for Julia!   (It's wide-legged trousers, not a long skirt that I am wearing )




stopping for the Henry's on the way


looking for unusual angles again

carrying n past the end of the Mediterranean garden, under the shelter of the Cypress trees we saw a fox







in the shade at the lake for a little 


then carried on past the crossing
and aaw the swans 

gorgeous reflections 
we stopped to speak to a lady who was taking pictures  too






I had my sunglasses on top of my hat so I could see the photos I was taking.


except I turned and walked into a low lying branch which I hadn't seen, knocking the sunglasses off my head onto the floor.   
where I promptly trod on them before I saw them, breaking both arms!   


like I said, lucky I had the hat! 


  
after a while we carried on round the lake,
blogger reversing the order of the photos!












as we rounded the lake and started down the other side, we saw a heron standing in the shallow water 
dappled shadows on his back





















trying to find shade and shadows on the way back to the cafe for our free tea!


not sure if this the same fox as earlier,  it was around the same place.



I went for the apple danish this time, which was quite nice too, but I possibly prefer the berry one. 

we'd been lucky to find a table in shade 


after, heading round the back of the pond









I think this is a Golden Rain tree (my cousin will know, she loves these )
we bumped into the lady we'd chatted to at the lake here again. 
but I don't remember seeing it at this stage before










echinops

loving the teasels 












skirting through the Evolution Garden,

there were so many bees on these flowers, just hundreds of them 






was a little surprised to see the flowers starting on the Physalis (Chinese Lantern  or Phyllis as we call her!)  





at the end of the EG  the agapanthus are still gorgeous

and a second flush of roses on some parts of the pergola 


in the  vegetable garden,  to look at the sunflowers 

had to step back for this so you can see it in full,  it' was all puffy!  








at the little covered area in the middle (where I think they sell the surplus veg)  there were some nigella (love in a mist) hanging to dry



one of the beds (which I didn't photograph) had this sign up by it
quick look at the strawflowers 


in the alpine house
outside between the alpine and POW 


we decided against the heat of the POW inside today!
carbon garden flowers





sat on a bench under a tree having a drink




did the sensible thing and changed lens to get it all in



 





we took advantage of a little cloud cover to head back along the Broad Walk 











shame these lilies were at the back of the bed, couldn't get a good photo.  but they are so tall!


of course, my favourite dahlias




then heading past the  Henry

and along the path closes to the Palm House

the beds this year are stuffed full of colour, 




huge hibiscus outside the Palm House















quick look inside the rapidly being emptied Palm  House ready for next year's restoration 
this end still has more plants in


but towards half way and the big doors it is very empty




we went out through the middle doors

and headed back past this Henry
















we did sit at the lake again on our way up towards the woodland 





Henry at the far end of the lake

we sat on the benches in the woodland, and were joined by Peter, and shortly after, Goldie appeared from under a bench as if  by magic!


he didn't really want to pose today, was on the move constantly


by the dead tree we think looks like a bear...

















the headed back through the trees past this not so new any more bench





before a quick walk through the Temperate House 

passionflower - I thought this stem had drooped and was just left lying on the cill, but there were several others nearby where they'd lain the stems on the surface too 


and that is today from Kew!  thanks for looking,

see you next week! 

No comments: