Saturday, December 16, 2023

Kew - the one after the party

 Yesterday was our office Christmas party and I knew I'd enjoy my fresh air more than ever.

I was in bed soon after midnight but at the gates for 10 am of course!


the dogwood is providing a fabulous splash of colour round the pond at the Palm House, it really is a beautiful bed. 

had to go and have a closer look.



then I walked partway down the Broad Walk



there was an odd bit of colour amongst the seedheads and the cut-back bedding


I couldn't resist another close up of the robins 
and then headed round towards the Princess of Wales conservatory.




where inside 

it was really hot! 

loved the lush purple tinges to these soft leaves





and the lovely stripes on these 


I'd seen the lady who paints the orchids at the gates and she was set up painting these when I got to them - near the exit rather than in the orchid room
back outside

Alpine House







love the scilla




outside in the rock garden, under the acer by the entrance way to the evolution garden,  the snowdrows are opening.

these are always an early one


I found some little snails on one of the physalis 

down at the end of the evolution garden

the peeling trunk of the betula

mahonia

as I was getting back to the pond, I noticed a huge flock of geese over the pond -  although they moved too fast for me so they're nearly in the hedge now

I headed round the rose garden and off towards the lake
passing some Christmas light bits
across the other side of the lake in his usual seat was Peter feeding the swans (who have been missing for a few weeks but re-appeared this week with one of their 4 cygnets from earlier in the year, according to one of the FB groups I follow)
through the trees, my favourite part of the trail (in daylight anyway - apart from the robins)



the squirrels that "Dave the Squirrel (as Kim and I call him) videos a lot and knows by name - were running around and one was posing in front of me... 
till I raised the lens!!  


I think this might be the one called Snowdrop but I can't tell them apart like Dave can! 
so off through the arches
had to take some bauble selfies - with the camera this time

it probably wasn't really cold enough for the hat! 


lighting rig up the treetop walkway 



strawflowers looking great
















the grevillia by the doorway 

you may think it odd that I photograph an empty terracotta tub.... but it's full of narcissus for the new season!


the tree tomatoes are really ripening 
the platform was roped off this week so it was a ground floor view of this





outside again

bracket (I think) fungus in a tree trunk

walking down Camellia walk towards the cafe 

quite a few of the  flowers are opening now


the re-usable cups are a permanent feature of the Victoria cafe now


the cake was nice and moist too,blueberry and white chocolate.  the drink, hot chocolate..

then i had to do a bit of Christmas shopping to finish off my present buying before heading home!

I wanted to share the group photo from the Facebook post for our firm from the Christmas party but can't work out how to do it.. 
I'm not sure if the link will work. (it should take you to the FB page, I have tested it!) 

I will be making a final pre-Christmas visit to Kew next Saturday; hope you  can join me then.

2 comments:

Celtic house said...

Kew still has plenty of colour, the snowdrops surprised me as they are really early.

Love the physalis photos too, the mahonia is striking in yellow.

The cuppa and cake break looks well deserved and well done you getting there early after your works do.

Have a grand week xxxx

Diana Taylor said...

Gorgeous photos, and your close ups of the starflowers are quite stunning.
Nice to have such lovely colour at this time of year from the indoor plants.
Thanks for the meander through Kew!
Diana xx