Saturday, December 2, 2023

Another cold walk at Kew

 No sun this week though.. but lots to see.

it was a bit foggy, and not particularly frosty, but very cold.  I was layered up with thermals, two pairs of socks, two jumpers, hat, scarf, gloves... you get the picture 
the pond at the Palm House was partly frozen near  the edges.

I was early enough to go to the cafe up the road from Kew before it opened (and still be first in line at the gate)

It also saved time as I didn't stop for further refreshments whilst at Kew...


right, where was I....


the winter bedding is starting to flesh out and bring some colour to the beds in front of the Palm House
and the dogwoods along the side of the pond brought some colour
4 Egyptian geese (I know, there's only 2 here) walked past me 
as I went to look closer at the dogwood
obligatory shot with the Palm House behind...

before heading along the Broad Walk




there's been a lot of clearing going on for winter, but the euphorbia were still there

a bit of Christmas off to the side 


quite a lot of silvery grey along the Broad Walk 
low growing silvery plant, not sure what it was.  I managed to get down to photograph it, getting up again was harder!

tree at the end 
this is such a beautiful tree

I headed round the back of the Broad Walk bed,  all seed heads here now
that beautiful tree again from a different angle
monkey puzzle tree
heading to the grass garden



and into the alpine house





out in the rock garden, there were some aloe tucked into holes in the rocks that didn't need protection from frost (the big spiral aloe which is in an exposed spot in the rock garden, is wrapped in fleece)

the porcelain berry vine still full of colour

edgworthia



the physalis still looking fabulous

echinops 




seed heads at the far end of the evolution garden, looking all soft and  fluffy

mahonia 

not masses int he Princess of Wales conservatory, 


the lady artist was there painting again though



there were some passionflowers out though


I walked round the side of the POW to see Snapper again 


as it wasn't pouring with rain this time, I went in for some close ups!  








i think he's kinda cute!  

a bit further round from Snapper are some "glasshouses"  they were pretty



magnolia buds coming 

the robins at the cross roads of the Broad Walk
walking back to the pond/palm house





there were still hips in the rose garden, although they were looking a bit frost-damaged 
new planting on the way to the Temperate House




walking through the Temperate House 


the orchids were looking good


thee was a tree fern at the foot of the steps to the viewing platform stopping people going up 




these were so pretty 
phymosia umbellata
aeonium 






this is called paint brush
another aloe.






I walked up towards the Pagoda 

and then to the 


Japanese garden 


the gravel hidden behind the purple!  



walking towards the lake


still a few hydrangea with colour

at the pond halfway to the lake

I'd forgotten to check on this beauty the last couple of weeks
so many reds and golds on its leaves 











at the top of the lake



I walked along side the lake and disturbed the heron which was stood on the path but it flew off and the shot I took was blurred
my favourites





I went up to the top of the Treetop Walkway for an arial view 


because of the lighting rigs for the Christmas trail you can't walk right round the walkway




in the exploration house for the strawflowers




as I headed back past the Temperate House, 

yellow leaved holly 
the trees on cherry walk are wired for Christmas with changing colours; which don't show up in daylight well


I'd already packed the camera away as I headed to the exit when I walked past this tree



that's it for today, thanks for looking, see you next week - and happy December at Kew!  


2 comments:

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh My Helen, there's still plenty of colour going on at Kew> The Christmas decs help of course but it still looks as though there's plenty to see. The glasshouse look lovely, probably even better in sunlight!! Coffee and croissant before you start certainly sounds like a great idea!
I'm going to have to catch up properly sometime - due for a faceTime date with Ex SIL in France in half an hour!
Hugs, Chrisx

Celtic house said...

Wow still plenty of colour despite the time of year. Loved the colourful glass houses and the Robins were lovely too. Glad you managed food before your walk, good start to the day. Sorry I'm so late reading, things are mad busy at the moment