Saturday, September 10, 2022

Paying tribute to Queen Elizabeth II

I think we are all heartbroken at the death of our beloved Queen Elizabeth II on Thursday 8 September.  Whilst we knew it was inevitable, at the age of 96,  it was a shock when it came and like many people I have been watching TV coverage of the tributes.

I decided to go to Buckingham Palace this morning to pay my respects (before my normal Saturday destination!)

as I walked through Green Park towards the Palace, signs of the equipment needed to keep the world's press on air and on line, multiple generators
first glimps of Buckingham Palace with the Royal Standard flying to indicate the King (wow, it does sound odd to say that)  is in residence.

 
the white tents of the world's media , they've obviously been there since Thursday
it was still only about 7.30 am  but already a crowd of people arriving with flowers and tributes.

they have moved the previous several days flowers to areas in Green Park, due to the volumes.  they soon moved the barriers back closer to the Palace gates.

the BBC wee recording interviews with some of the public

I hung around for a bit.  the atmosphere was hushed, reverent and quite surreal.


then I got a What's App message from Kirsty who I work with, she'd spotted me on BBC news!!  














the Victoria memorial,  today not thronged with people but behind barriers


and lots of flowers have been placed around the statues 




I put a longer zoom on to get closer





















I suppose it had to be done
just along from the Palace gates a few flowers had been left not behind barriers  so I could get a closer look.


some people were photographing the messages but I thought that was a bit off (unless they had left them)  
lots and lots of sunflowers 
guards on duty as usual
then I crossed the road and walked round the other side of the Victoria memorial
flowers had been poked into the gates of Green park
looking across to the Palace

the crowds are building up
my favourite radio station, Radio 5's tent 

Nicky Campbell on the left,  I listened to later on in the morning

the flowers are looking gorgeous this year











then I walked along the Mall - big Police operation in progress ready for the King's Proclamation at nearby St James Palace, which was taking place in about 3 hours time - so no, I didn't stay!

It would have been a moment of history of course, but I wasn't going to stand in a queue for that long
there are no benches along the Mall
so I headed up the Mall 



and then through Horseguards Parade
past Admiralty Arch


and across Trafalgar Square - fountains off in respect





I walked through the streets (thank goodness for maps on posts along the way)
until I got to Piccadilly Circus  - the famous big advertising displays are still on, but a huge photo of the Queen on a nearby building,  
which I'd seen on TV and wanted to see in person.


Part 2 of my Saturday - the normal one - will follow shortly.  

I jumped on the tube and headed off..

4 comments:

Diana Taylor said...

So interesting to see behind the scenes - all those media tents and interviews going on, and the crown floral tribute is amazing, how beautiful and thoughtful. Being there yesterday must have been a very strange experience but I should imagine there was comfort in it with everyone coming together in their sadness.
Thanks for the glimpses behind the cameras,
Diana xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Ah, to have been there and to have been a part of that very scene. What a sad event. Sp glad you were able to take photos. It made it interesting to me. I watched the formal proclamation/change of power on TV. Our stations showed it live. Very formal. If you get a chance to see it, watch the new King keep the pen he signed various proclamations with, and others had to use a different one. Just a tidbit that seemed odd to me. Thanks for these photos, Helen. And yet another five seconds of fame!

Celtic house said...

I can imagine it felt very surreal, but also must have been nice to pay your respects in such a way xxx

PaperArtsy said...

Thanks for sharing. Very sad, the impact this has had beyond the UK is pretty big. Such a well respected woman. I'm interested to see how Charles settles into the role and how he does things differnetly, no doubt he will have some strong ideas. He's had a few TV bloopers already, perhaps more Phillip rubbed off on him then we knew! LOL At least that will keep us entertained. I think the monarchy is a huge asset to the UK, they are amazing for tourism and the UK's profile internationally, no doubt that opens many doors and opportunities too. Having listened to a lot of radio myself over the past week, there are many individuals who testify that their career paths have flourished due to opportunities and exposure received through initiatives such as the Princes Trust and so on.