Saturday, September 3, 2022

Kew - September

 September already, and so few weekends left available to visit early... A real hint of autumn and a low mist in the air - love days like today!

the sky was blue though and the sun breaking through


as Kim and I made our way past the Palm House we noticed the heron sitting on the roof

a double shadow pic today!


the parterre beds have been really beautiful this summer
I hadn't brought my long zoom today as the forecast wasn't for sun until mid afternoon...

this is the misty light I will miss when opening goes back to 10 at the end of the month


then down the Broad Walk

one of the big trees at the far end of the Broad Walk




I think there must have been rain overnight as there were lots of water drops everywhere

















teasels in the Duke's garden



then to the Veg garden - sadly the gates to the student beds were locked again (I checked again just before I left, and they still were)




going backwards again!  
I love the weird shapes and colours on the squashes and gourds

and they do make good climbers over the frames over the paths


ants and a wasp/hoverfly in a flower
chard
sunflower


Tagetes  being used as companion planting under the runner beans

this was a really gorgeous one 
then into the Evolution garden
there wasn't much in the way of skeletonised  flowers today
and most of them were hiding in the leaves - moved a leaf to get this one and caught a raindrop on the tip





there was an intense smell of licourice from the fennel,  never noticed it so strong before 





great water drops.  

the previous 5 should be in the other order...

asters with raindrops  in my favourite bed in the evolution garden
rudbeckia

echinacea seedhead
golden rain tree


teeny little flowers in the woodland walk 

they look orchid like - didn't get the name,  try-something or other!

agave under the eaves of the Princess of Wales conservatory

luckily I didn't sit on the wet bit of the bench to take this!
love the patterns on the leaves
and in the centre 

a tree smothered in berries caught my eye...



(crataegus lacinata)  

walking past the Palm House parterre 

and round the rose garden  - Kim was heading to the lake to feed the birds
I stopped briefly at the Breach which was all misty 
and steamed up from the earlier cool start to the day

I took a couple on the phone too









seedheads  as we walked along the lake path
the ducks came for food as soon as we sat down

they're very tame!
it may "just" be a mallard, but it has very pretty feathering


as we started to cross the lake, a lady coming towards us told us that the heron was sitting in a tree on the island in the lake



could have done with the longer lens but that's life!  



we were going to head for breakfast but had to stop for more waterdrops



there was only one cheese and mushroom croissant left (they came and delivered some more just as we finished!)so I just had a doughnut



then we headed for the Palm House

the tubs of hibiscus outside the door still had lots of blooms
even the spent ones, all crinkly, look good

Kim was slightly ahead of me..

lots of light through leaves....



she took another one of me




into the waterlily house
reflections of the roof








as we were on the way out I noticed the sun shining through these

so pretty (I never know what these are)

we crossed the Broad Walk again on my way tothe Princess of Wales conservatory,


puasing again to admire the Japanese anemones 
















where Kim left me and she headed home

gorgeous bright pink flowers 
on this clump of cacti  just inside 







then blogger is reversing my order..


love the red/green leaves from the different waterlily varieties.  I apologise for not noticing the big leaf in the way of the bottom corner!!



passionflower tendrils  - complete with water drop




























still no sign of water dragons

but a few pretty orchids in the cool orchid room

and a developing passionflower




coming out of the POW  I turned towards the alpine house
couldn't miss a quick walk through


then the salvia border in the rock garden

and cut through to check if the student beds were open as I mentioned


gorgeous pink roses
and then headed back past the POW  canna lily flower




and across the grass to the exit


Thanks for looking - next week is a Kew late start as the Richmond fun run is on and only runners are allowed in before 11 -  so we all get a lie in!

see you then. 





editing post 

I meant to add these here too -  I shared them on my other blog on Wednesday
back in February when the orchid festival was on, Channel 5 were filming for their series Kew, a Year in Bloom and they filmed me photographing the orchids... they emailed me a few weeks ago to say they were using some for the episode that went out last week
I grabbed some shots off the tv 
in the queue (blue hat and thick coat, on the phone of course...)

we'll photograph you photographing the orchids...







Kim also spotted me behind a lady being interviewed and sent me this one


I remember standing watching her be filmed but didn't realise I was in shot.

5 seconds of fame!  

2 comments:

Virginia said...

Ah what a lovely post and that mist reminds me of what we had on Friday when we got to Chatsworth, there is definitely an autumnal feel in the air and I notice how many of your flowers seemed to be the autumn oranges and golds and yellows with a splash of purple (making if feel a little more halloween like). I love the passionflower shot, such a beautiful flower.

Fabulous that you were on TV too - definitely a claim to fame.

Hope you've had a good weekend.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a stunning opening shot. Those beds are really full and gorgeous. I love the many photos you took of those beds.

Oranges, purples, greens, and pinks seem to dominate your floral choices in this post. The squash and gourds are so textural.

The mist on those mirrors was incredible. Loved seeing the different photos of those you took.

Feeding the ducks must have been a lot of fun, especially since they are tame. Loved the photo of you and Kim eating your doughnuts.

The photo Kim took of you shows how heavy your bag must be to carry around.

Although I saw some of the Kew filming of you on Wednesday, the one of you in the background was new. Five seconds of fame, indeed.