Saturday, September 10, 2022

Kew - a new era begins

 If you've come from my previous post you'll know where I was before I arrived at Kew today.

my visit to Kew was later than usual partly due to my London trip but partly because they had been planning a half marathon event this weekend so opening was delayed til 11.  However, when I arrived just before 10 I was surprised to see the gates open -  they had cancelled the run out of respect to Her Majesty and had opened at 8 after all.

However, I was glad I had gone to London to pay my respects.

So,  let's start the day again! 


the fountain was on it's intermittent setting

I went into the Princess of Wales conservatory first


I had a quick look in the carnivorous room





alpine house



the sunflowers in the student plots - open this week hurrah!


the sun was trying to come out, it had been quite cloudy in central London earlier 










I walked through my favourite parts of the Evolution Garden






raindrops!  
beautiful rudbeckia



lots of acorns on the woodland path


the squirrels will be happy

then down the Broad Walk 
I was keeping my eyes open for Kim who I knew was on her way but didn't bump into her and her message to say she'd arrived didn't reach me till we were both respectively home!  

more water drops





















then into the waterlily house






a somewhat misted up picture but I wasn't going to miss the water drops
back outside.

I was probably imaging it, but the atmosphere felt different this week,   there were the normal  - or nearly normal - number of people about, but it seemed different.  

had to see Matt and Helen as I think they're only here another week














we've had a lot of rain this week and the funghi are sprouting under the trees


but I went into the Temperate House and found some in the soil under a tub of passionflower



more rudbeckia in tubs in the Temperate House - these are the ones they used in the Palm House paterre beds





finally, more funghi, that I nearly tripped over as I wasn't paying attention
I did also visit the Breach, the mirrors too. 

the kids' Mum was trying to get them to stay still for a photograph!
thanks for looking,  be back to an 8am visit next week, just 2 more left before the season ends. 

4 comments:

Diana Taylor said...

Gorgeous photos Helen, the sunflowers are stunning and I love the mass of yellow rudbeckia - so cheerful to see. It's apparently been a bumper year for acorns so we should have some chubby squirrels around soon!
Thanks for sharing and have a good week
Diana xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Call me prejudiced, call me opinionated, call me stubborn, but there will only ever be ONE Princess of Wales and that is Diana.

One comment only today and that is actually a question. When did Matt and Helen get a bit of greenery growing between them? And why do I not remember it before?

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I read what you wrote about the Princess of Wales. I KNOW the title gets transferred, but I would not call Diana a "tragic accident." More like a victim of circumstance.

Celtic house said...

Ah a lovely visit and with less runners and people traffic I'm guessing it felt quite normal. I'm seriously wondering where matt and Helen will go as I know the other trolls are created for a permanent position.

The flowers are lovely but the water droplets remind me of the changing seasons.

Hope you had a good weekend xxx