Saturday, April 9, 2022

Late entry to Kew so a wander round Richmond first

 This weekend is the twice yearly Richmond 10k and half marathon in Kew Gardens, so entry is not allowed till 11am... I had time to spare then first thing and got off the bus in Richmond and wandered along the river...

it had been frosty at home first thing but bright and sunny, as you can see, and the chill was burning off though there remained a stiff breeze



up stream
down stream
rowers out 
that would be a great place to live, what a view!  


close up of the arches on the bridge



I didn't walk too far along the river, 
but turned up towards the road for the bus,

admiring buildings  before returning to a bus stop to continue my journey

I was still fairly early so got off off at the end of the road that leads to the gardens,

so paused to photograph this Church I've often looked at from the bus
arriving at the gates, there was a large queue and it took some 10 minutes to get in once opening time arrived

I have taken my usual opening photo but not on the widest angle I usually do, as the clear up from the half marathon was still going on, including a couple of ambulances, positioned on the path 
I didn't want them in my photo!

the sun was bright on  "my" fountant
but I paused to catch some daffodils illuminated in the sun



I decided to head to the Princess of Wales conservatory first,


pausing for blossom of course


inside, a cactus flowering




they are still working on the pond area, so the main section of the conservatory is still out of bounds; 





so I walked round the parts I could




love it when the grevillea blooms,  more have come out since last week

some orchids in the doorway as you go out

at the top of the rock garden near the alpine house,

these were in a stone trough.  couldn't see any labels, sorry!



tulipa saxiltilis  opened this week,  so pretty
they open out quite flat!


Scilla,  peruvian lilly


they'll be beautiful for weeks 




the vegetable garden is being worked on!

(not today, it was all quiet)

the bed to the other side of the path across from the veg garden has a swathe of pink and white tulips


at the far end of the evolution garden, the re-organised peony beds are growing, and I was thrilled to see buds coming - I had wondered if they would this year after being moved (which they don't like)


I walked through the woodland walk back towards the Palm House

admiring the twisted (hazel?) supports round newly planted sections 
back at the Palm House beds again 


as I walked along the path towards the rose garden I saw that people were coming out of the Waterlily house - fabulous!
the tulips in the beds outside...
such a pretty colour!!

I took advantage of there not being many people  inside, and the planting round the edges not being very well established still to take some wider angle shots to show the space as a whole


you know I love the reflections of the roof in the water!

and this is of the outer planted area by the doorway

this is the bed to the right of the door (there's one each side and another at the top of the steps 

couple from the phone









then it was 
round to the cherry trees leading from the Palm House/Rose Garden

lots of other people too!  some would be heading for the Very Hungry Caterpillar trail  



just beautiful in the sun













then it was time to check the tulips along Cherry Walk by the Temperate House


where a delight awaited!




the trees are starting to come out too

love that the varieties are pink and white to blend with the trees 


from the top of the steps going into the Temperate House

the into the Temperate House  where I followed my normal route
Silver Daisy Bush first of course






and round the viewing platform - didn't get to stop halfway up the staircase as there were people following me
view across to the "down" stairs




as I came down again I noticed this patch of colour from the end of the path


on investigating it was a group of hippeastrum (amaryllis)   - normally a house plant in the UK  I've never seen them in the beds in the TH before,  maybe they are new this year

the looked fab though

as I walked through the TH and into one of the octagon connecting sections I noticed this gorgeous pattern on the stalk 
of a green- fleshed aeonium 













the stem was truly beautiful though 












back outside and bloody blogger has reversed the next blossom pics....







this should be the first one as it's nearest to the Temperate House ha ha

I walked through the building that houses a bit more temperate planting 
another beautiful grevillea


the clouds were coming and going,  luckily this quite grey one blew past on the wind keeping me dry

I walked along the side of the lake but didn't take any photos today
back at the Palm House again 


I went to the loo but the queue in the cafe was long so I didn't wait to get a drink


but walked round the back of the pond again 

past the new restaurant that I mentioned was full meal and pricy

I like the sign though and the  3D sign outside
couldn't resist some more photos of the fountain





I was walking round in a very disjointed method today!

heading down the Broad Walk

a yellow Crown Imperial Frtillary



some pretty little flowers...

heads down
lifting it up to the camera,  bit fuzzy as holding the camera one-handed obviously
big patches of the acid green euphorbia

the patch of gorgeous orange tulips from last week seem to have multiplied in number!









then I crossed the path to enjoy some more brilliant blossom 








absolutely glorious isn't it!  

all this is one tree

I went back to the Broad Walk and down to the end where there are more gorgeous daffodils

the cafe in the Orangery was also packed (it was gone 1pm now so hardly surprising)
so I went along the path towards the Childrens' Garden where there is a new shop and family restaurant (also busy)

passed the Butterfly end to the Very Hungry Caterpillar trail

amazingly when I got home I saw some photos of my nephew and his wife and 3 daughters enjoying the Caterpillar trail today - how brilliant it would have been if I'd bumped in to them!!


from there I wandered over to the magnolia glad but they've just about finished


some more blossom...
and the snake's head fritillary were even more stunning 


as I finished taking these,  a lady got down onto the grass and did what I usually do,  lying down for her art!

not me today though I stayed crouching 



I decided it was time to head home,  as the buses take longer than the trains 
so it was past the end of the Palm House again and to the bus stop


Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed the added walk through Richmond first,  and see you next week -  Easter weekend so no doubt it will be busy again,  but I can get in at 9am again hurrah!!


3 comments:

Celtic house said...

Wow there is some variety in the spring colour. Absolutely love the colours from the spring pinks to the deep purples, all gorgeous.

I hope you are having a good week.

Hugs

Diana Taylor said...

Wow Helen, where to begin! I love all the blossom, it's looking glorious at the moment and the tulips along the Cherry Walk are spectacular, but for me the star of the show this week is the Amaryllis - I have never seen that colour combination before and I have totally fallen in love! Oh I sooooo want one!!
Thank you for the lovely meander through Kew,
Diana xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

The blossom really is so beautiful and I do really love those pink and white tulips! The water Lily house looks so different at this time of year! I enjoyed seeing a little bit of Richmond too.Will have to see if we can manage Kew this year! Hugs, Chrisx