Saturday, April 16, 2022

Easter Saturday - Kew time!

 Members are still able to get in at 9 this weekend to enjoy the Very Hungry Caterpillar children's event.. well I've seen that but don't tell anyone.

The day started a bit cooler than yesterday but still bright and gorgeously sunny

look at the beautiful blue sky behind the Palm House
and the red tulips in the central bed at each end of the path alongside the Palm House have come from nowhere
the daffodils in the urns along the pond are starting to fade, as are the ones in the beds at either end of the PH beds,  whilst the later varieties in the middle are still gorgeous
you get a good view of the fountain from the bed at the other end of the path
I noticed last week that the hyacinth had finished, and this week there are orange tulips out in the middle of the bed

I love their succession planting everywhere 


there was so much to see, I didn't know where to go first...
so whilst I thought, I went to the fountain






so I went to the Evolution garden

there were workers in the vegetable garden today
the camassia are looking good

so were the drifts of pinky white tulips
and nearby those, some pale yellow peonies


and an early pink peony

the alpine house was open, probably only to let air through, but nothing to say don't go it yet
the scillia, peruvian lily are gorgeous


on the bench at the far end, I was attracted to some alliums
more scillia in the doorway







I was expecting to see the huge wisteria to be out, but there was barely a bud... 

and it is only as I downloaded the photos did I realise I had forgotten again to go and find the pasque flowers along the top of the rock garden




the best of the blossom along the path from the Rose Garden is starting to fade behind leaf.  

although when you look closely, it's beautiful!























I headed from the cherry trees towards the Med garden
broom  and above (can't get blogger to type in the right place)  the Judas tree is starting to flower with it's pinky purple flowers

the Med garden is round the corner from the Temperate House and it was time for the tulips under the cherry trees

glowing in the sunshine


the darker ones are coming out now
it was a shame the grass was wet (from dew)  so I couldn't lie down as I commented to a Kew graduate who stopped to take some photos too


the doors to the Temperate House were open early, so in I went

I thought I'd take a photo of the Silver Daisy bush from a distance to show the size
before closing in!







lots of watering going on down there... he actually had two hoses going at one stage, one in each hand!



they seem to have grown a lot in a week


back on the ground I walked round the outer path round the TH





the bird of paradise were looking great
and I noticed the inner bit of the purple part appeared as if someone had printed along it... anyone else see lettering? 








back outside,  





I headed to the woodland walk to see how many bluebells are out yet,  as I some on the way to Kew on the bus..
they are definitely on the way,  glowing in the sunlight
there'll be lots more soon


primroses too





there is a huge wild cherry tree towards the (what was today,) the far end of the walk -  I normally walk from the other (lake) end 








towards the edge of the gardens by the path running along the river outside there is this huge bush, covered in white flowers

I've been meaning to go check it out for a while



today was the day


I couldn't find any labels


it has tumbled and spread down the bank it's growing on...


and next to it, another huge spread of broom  
I walked along the lake and then crossed to the other side

I was going to go round to the Walkway and climb it, but my feet took me a different way!

pink cherry blossom back at the palm house

 I went into the waterlily house,  lilies are opening already 
and in the middle leaves are starting to grow - wonder if they'll get their world record waterlily this year
reflections in the water
planting round the outer rim of the waterlily house





tiny waterlily variety
outside I admired the tulips again

the variety is blushing ladies


they are so beautiful







had to take another low angle view here!

then headed to the Princess of Wales conservatory








in the couple of weeks since we've bee able to walk right round the POW the jade vine has really come into flower





I couldn't see any visible changes to the pond area, so presumably it was just repairs and maintenance they've been doing
as I went up to the upper level, I did notice the fish were swimming round in the water on the other side to usual  - I am not sure if the water on the two sides is connected or not  

but got a good view of them through the water for once.

they are huge
blogger is reversing order again grr..


orchid 













the beautiful deep pink blossoms to the side of the Broad Walk






walking back up the Broad Walk,  the acid green euphorbia

sat on a bench for a few minutes - these are between the Broad Walk and the POW conservatory
decided to got and get something to eat and drink

which meant I "had" to walk round the pond again


all the seats outside were busy so I ate inside

lemon meringue muffin and coffee.

it was then time to head home so I can watch the FA Cup semi final between Liverpool (my team) and Man City.   it's just started so I will just say,  see you next week and thanks for looking!

5 comments:

pearshapedcrafting said...

Not sure how far I will get on catch up....Kew looks amazing in the sunshine! Loving the blossom at the moment! We saw Wysteria out in Paris over a familiar gate. Lilac is starting to bloom too. The red and white tulips are my favourite sight here. Looking forward to Bluebell time! I'm sure you enjoyed the football - son and grandson were there- supporting Liverpool!A good Birthday present for grandson!!! Hugs, Chrisx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Kew's tulips are definitely lovely, but Hampton Court's were more impressive. Always love seeing the urns and the daffs are still lovely, at least some of them are.

My hyacinths are gone, too. Seems our weather is about the same.

WOW! Kew has some incredibly heavy machinery for their veggie garden. I have a spade and a shovel for mine!!

I miss mu peony bush my neighbor killed when he built the fence. Those pink ones are perfect.

I always enjoy The Alpine House. Those tiny plants fascinate me.

Te tulips in the Med garden also fascinate me. They look like they are growing out in a grassy meadow.

Yes, I saw what looked like printing on the bird of paradise. Certainly not your imagination.

At first, I thought the bush along the river was spirea, but on closer inspection, I could tell it wasn't.

The waterlilies are lovely and the pads are growing nicely.

I have to admit your muffin looks much better than yesterday's sausage roll. Thanks for these incredible and eye appealing photos today, Helen.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I thought I posted the above yesterday, but when I came back to close out the page, I was mortified to see I had not published it. So sorry.

Lynnecrafts said...

Stunning photos Hen. Thanks for identifying the bird of paradise for me this week. It does look printed on!
Hugs
Lynnecrafts

Celtic house said...

The grape hyacinths look fabulous, mine are all starting to die back now, but I've got other colour coming the garden.

I love all the tulip shots, the pale ones that seem to appear lemony pink at first I thought were a magnolia tree, then I realised they were tulips. They always make a fantastic display but I'll be honest I've never had much success with them myself.

The blossoms look stunning, I spotted a cherry tree in full blossom yesterday which looks absolutely stunning!

Hugs