Saturday, April 23, 2022

Kew - farewell to Zadock Ben-David

 This weekend sees the end of the Zadock Ben-David exhibition after an extended run so I was determined not to miss a final viewing

It was cold and dull to start with but did unexpectedly improve..

and there were glimpses of blue already as I got inside

the tulips are looking good
in the circular beds

I decided to go to the Waterlily house first, 
ducking under the blossom laden branches
the gorgeous tulips outside the waterlily house are starting to fade in colour, truly blushing now




there was nobody else in there - it was only just after 10 -  took a picture from the doorway, bit high up with the lens, all you can see is the pipework that heats the house!  
even though it's only been re-opened 2 or 3 weeks the flowers are out already

and the leaves in the middle are growing well



another look at the pale tulips outside
more tulips in the bed at the end of the Broad Walk, just beautiful


a little bit of sun on the fountain spray


into the Princess of Wales conservatory -  past the cacti

a lot of the flowers on the Jade Vine have fallen, but some remain 
up to the upper level  



the lower pond is now empty for maintenance it looks totally different!


I seem to have forgotten to photograph the titan itself,  but it is at the leaf stage on the display board!

so it could be a while before we see the flower! 

I found this really interesting 

in the orchid room there was a girl with a big hosepipe dousing everything so I had to be careful!







on my way out I paused at the grevillia




and remembered to go visit the pasque flowers along the top path of the rock garden


just as well, 
they are largely gone to seed (I do love this stage too)

that's a low railing not a pipe by the way

some still flowering 














then I doubled back to the alpine house






the alliums are looking good although the shading on the alpine house was down so my camera got confused with it's settings

and the scillia are gorgeous
I couldn't see a name on these, but they're obviously some kind of succulent

they look like cabbages though!




these were really pretty, but I forgot to photograph the label



they're building the veg beds, rather than just digging them they're making wooden borders 
walking through the evolution garden

the canassia were looking great




and I found some more pasque flowers 






blogger has reversed this next batch   


the statue is still holding his plants

peonies are flowering 


several varieties of euphorbia,  loved this one 


a bright pink peony
rhododendron





next it was to the gallery


I timed it quote well because although there were quite a few people in, by the time I came out they were holding them back waiting to enter to avoid crowding


I decided to leave the wider angle on mostly for the scale of the flowers
from the side as you walk past from the black side to the painted side











the second perspex display case 
couple of close ups


the "tree" outside
bluebells
then I went over to Cherry Walk to see the tulips


it was dry enough to get low down on the grass 



it had gone a bit dull (but don't despair!)




eventually I went inside the Temperate House



the silver daisy bush is past it's best 
but will still delight me for a while









I took a pic of the ferns on my phone 

as I came to the far side of the upper walkway I noticed some flowers at the top of this shrub









the bird of paradise flowers grabbed me again 


I was interested to see the part of the purple flower that looked like lettering last week  was bursting open


then it was round the Treetop Walkway towards the lake
lots of bluebells and wildflowers 



then round to rhododendron dell 


the wind kept blowing

smaller low growing varieties

then along the path at the far side of the gardens, the naturalised camassia


they look fabulous with the white that I always want to call cow parsley but I don't know if it is 

that white bush from last week
I rummaged to see if I culd fina label, but nothing
then it was along to the bluebells in the woodland walk 

walking through it from the direction I favour - much prefer it from this direction!


there was even some sun to brighten things up







blogger has reversed this next batch too

the prunus at the Japanese Garden finally in flower

on the way there I stopped at a massive tree 


stunning!
it really spreads!


ok, as we were at the Japanese garden
fatsia


more blossom

stripy tulips

ceanothus (also known as american lilac although totally unlike our lilac)
one of my favourite blue flowers

walking past the gallery again 
and across the grass past the Temperate House


it was warmer know and I had shed my coat and the sun was out, so I headed back to the tulips 


where I photographed them from the other end of the walk (halfway at this point)


where once again I laid down on the grass 



I could have stayed there for hours

love this one!  


back at the pond before I left, as the sun was out now.....












the final tulip circular bed 
at the top of the path towards the exit at the Elizabeth gate











but I knew there were some more ceanothus the other side of the path towards the exit


could only see one flowering so far, the others must be slightly later

thanks for looking!  

next week is the last of the 10am starts as after that I'll be getting up before dawn to get in for 8.... can't wait  - but a lie in next week!


4 comments:

Celtic house said...

Oh Helen, I'm glad you got to see the display before it went it really was awesome, we were the same last weekend making our last visit to Rachel Kneebones 399 days at YSP.

The tulips are looking fabulous, I loved the vibrant red and white display, very apt given it was St George's day.

The rest of the flowers were beautiful as always, but I was most surprised to see the Ceonathus flowering already, ours won't flower for a few weeks yet, but then we are significantly further north.

Hope you have a lovely Sunday

xxx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Loved that the water lilies were already flowering. The exhibition does look to be really interesting - glad you got to see it again before it finished! I love the seed heads on the pasque flowers too! My favourite views were of the tulips by the cherry walk!!
Hugs, Chrisx

Diana Taylor said...

Ooh Helen, what glorious photos - I love the Grevillia, what a heavenly colour, but I have to say my favourites are the tulips - I love the views you have captured - it certainly makes a difference lying down - you have some stunning shots there.
Hope you have a lovely week,
Diana xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm only five days late. It's almost time for another visit to Kew. The tulips are beautiful and I see green in the urns.

IMGoodness. Those purple flowers on the water lilies are amazing. The pads are huge, too. I see some of the cacti are flowering, too. I look forward to seeing the various stages of the Titan, too. The pasque flowers are lovely, even those that have gone to seed.

I always love the tiny flowers in the Alpine House. I could look at these all day.

I wonder if the veggie garden will have raised beds. I miss my peony bush my neighbor killed when he built his fence.

I especially love the wall in the gallery. That was my favorite. I'm glad you took a head on shot, too.

I still see a semblance of letters in the Bird of Paradise. I had NO idea our lilacs were different from those in the UK. Thanks for sharing all the tulips this week. One more late week and then an early start. Yea!