Saturday, April 2, 2022

Kew -a cold and sunny trip

 For the school Easter holidays, Kew is laying on a trail for the Very Hungry Caterpillar, a much loved children's story by Eric Carle,  and an early 9am opening to celebrate.

It was really cold setting out but the sun came out to cheer things up

and as I walked from the station I couldn't resist the daffodils by the side of the path on Kew Green by the church
look how blue the sky is again though and the daffodils in Parterre beds at the Palm House are beautiful 

as the forecast suggested the sun wouldn't last all morning, I decided to capture the sun on the fountain first!  You know I can't resist it 


























I tried not to take so many you'd be bored







the glasshouses won't open till 10 but I walked towards the Princess of Wales to the pink blossoms to the side




shooting upwards through the branches
closeups into the light


there's just so much blossom on the branches

I cut through a gap in the Broad Walk 
between masses of daffodils


alongside the euphoriba


heading back up to the end

and then to join the trail for the Very Hungry Caterpillar

daffodils in the Parterre - different varieties in each bed, these are at the further end
I turned down past the rose garden and these are the Yoshino Cherry trees - last week, full of blossom, this week full of leaf,  how fleeting a display they make
cherry leaves into the sun
It's been a long time since I read the Very Hungry Caterpillar,  but it's basically a tale about a caterpillar eating his way into becoming a butterfly...

it''s interactive for the kids to run through bits and so on, so I was careful with my cropping

I kept getting side-tracked by the sun glinting on the Palm House
and glimpses of other areas I wanted to go..




I was hoping the waterlily house may have re-opened this weekend but not yet

so much growth on the trees now, they're changing really quickly
as this little boy had his back tome I didn't mind leaving him in




I meant to head back past here later on for the end of the trail, but forgot



it was time to check the magnolias, I knew most of them would be past their best already now
they've been a bit touched by frost this week sadly


but the lemon yellow ones were still pretty 
there were still masses of daffodils in the grass too


the snake's head fritilliaries were in flower nearer the edge of the roped off area so I had a better view 



there is quite a drift of them as you can see

pretty pink prunus, Sargent Cherry

the path with the Palm House behind,
these are starting to go over as well but still looking stunning


the sunshine really helped illuminate these 


the cyprus tress at the head of the Mediterranean garden

the two trees on opposite corners of the path towards the Mediterranean garden are still fabulous


there was a couple sitting on the bench under the temple enjoying shelter in the sun


at Cherry Walk, whilst the cherries haven't for the most part come out yet, the tulips have 



and they looked fabulous down at ground level in the sun
one side of the path was less in full sun


it was nearly 10 so I walked round the outside of the Temperate House to the other half of Cherry Walk









into the Temperate house now






Silver Daisy bush - blogger's reversed these, always end with the close ups!








big palm in the centre of the main atrium from the ground


heading up the steps 

great views as you rise!

that red frond looks great from above

tall shrubs look so different from high up!
great shadows on the ironwork at the end of the platform
spindles of the steps down
went to look at the palm close up on the ground

ferns extending across the path
they curl so beautifully before unfurling
looking at the back of the waterfall

gorgeous deep pink azalea

I've forgotten what these pretty little flowers are


I could tell inside that it had suddenly clouded over...



had to take a circuitous route to the lake as you can't walk straight past the Treetop Walkway due to the lift work that's going on


but I made it

and was rewarded with some cloud reflections through the trees at the side of the lake
at the crossing the dogwood are sprouting into leaf and were glistening in the sun

I was torn between which way to go next, I wanted to go in 2 directions at once, but the more woody area won out





back at the Yoshioe Cherries round the rose garden,  there is some blossom left, the green of the leaves is so bright 
looking across the rose garden as I entered the Palm House just to cut through the middle of it!
daffodils in a tub outside the Palm House
the Paterre beds,  the middle section with delicate white blooms

crouching down at the urns alongside the pond edge


the sun was out again now
as I took this one, 
I noticed the crow on the edge of the urn in the middle of the round bed 
just after he flew off










you know how much I love the fountain, and I am growing quite fond of the purple hyacinths in this bed,

it was time to get down on the path low level to take the shot with the fountain in











I then headed into the Princess of Wales conservatory, where I headed left past delicate little flowers

and not through the cacti section 













sorry, I can't be faffed to correct the order...









as I walked round, I came across areas that were roped off, they are doing maintenance work on the pond area so some parts were inaccessible

the cool orchid room, being misted regularly to hydrate the plants
 I had to keep doubling back on myself to find the way out 
but they still have some of the tubs of orchids from the recent festival on display 




I was pleased to see some flowers on my favourite grevillea!  



into the alpine house,  still forgot to look up the name of these


there are some at each door

this shows the height a bit better

there's a red/orange/yellow theme in here at present it seems

love the stripey tulips


just starting to open


walking through the rock garden, purple iris



the entrance to the Evolution Garden was roped off, they're working on the vegetable garden to the left of the path 

I had a flash of inspiration though and climbed the steps to the top path of the rock garden




where I was right, the pasque flowers - traditionally blooming at Easter - were indeed out
I loce the reds and purples 
and the soft greeny-grey foliage 
as I crouched to take these, a brief rain-hail shower passed over... didn't last long
they run along the path for quite a way,  I love these


they are hard to capture as their heads to tend to droop a little!

I walked round the pond again pausing to catch these tulips amongst the heather in tubs outside the newest restaurant at Kew (not sampled it as they serve meals rather than snacks )  
and the gunnera are starting their journey to the sky
the cherry tree by the pond is still flowering, but fading already I feel

I stopped for hot chocolate and cake (lemon drizzle, light, fluffy and lemony, so pretty perfect)

I needed something to keep me going before heading home


before heading back past the pond
and weas drawn off to the left of the Broad Walk by this deep pink

stunning deep pink Malus (variety called Laxton's Red)
it was stunning!! 














the Broad Walk is full of daffodils











but there are little pockes of tulips emerging too




I cross the grass to the glory of the snow - which I saw on Gardners World yesterday they called a scilla,  although Kew always label it Chionodoxa as I put last week.  searching further seems to have either 
they were looking fab though!  
no lying down today
more blossom 



deep purple tulips near Kew Palace

the final photos today are the beds near the Elizabeth gate entrance
such a springlike colour combination
you can see the gates at the top of the photo

they look gorgeous!  



that's it for today,  the cold did go a bit when the sun warmed up but it certainly wasn't a day for taking off your coat (or hat for that matter!)


Thanks for looking and I hope you enjoyed today's trip!

Next week is a late opening at 11 as we can't get in due to the Richmond Fun run/half marathon so I get a lie-in!

3 comments:

Diana Taylor said...

Stunning photos and beautiful colours Helen. I love the carpet of Scilla (I don't know them as Chionodoxa but I won't argue with Kew!) The Snake's head frittillary is one of my favourites - I only have one flower in bloom at the moment but I would love a drift!
Diana xx

Celtic house said...

Can I just say I absolutely love the very hungry caterpillar trail, it looks absoluely brilliant for the children over Easter.

I also love all the bright spring flowers, the grape hyacinths make a great show too, I've got some in the front garden and with them being a corm rather than a bulb the clumps get bigger every year.

I also love that spring flower bed in all its beautiful colour.

Hope you are having a good week

xxx

pearshapedcrafting said...

I loved seeing the Fountain shots - there's something about sunshine on water! The Caterpillar trail looks to be a great place for children! I remember that area where the Snakeshead Fritilliaries are - they're a fascinating flower - quite a few places around here have them! Pasque flowers are so beautiful - they look great all together by the path! Lovely photos all together! . I'm just going to take a wander back through your other posts but won't leave comments - hope you don't mind! Hugs, Chrisx