Saturday, February 5, 2022

Kew - Orchid Festival time

 I was really looking forward to today's trip to Kew as today is the first day of the 2022 Orchid Festival - first time in 2 years of course as it couldn't take place last year due to Covid.

Surprisingly, the sun was shining.  

there were more people waiting for the gates to open - the Orchids festival is a popular event.

I had a 10.15 time slot so just had time to stop at the Palm House for my traditional first photo...
and then went to the Princess of Wales conservatory, with a few minutes to wait to enter.  
Channel 5 television were there filming for the second series of their programmes about Kew,  and we were asked if we minded being filmed
Once we were allowed in, we had to follow a one-way system (Covid safety)  and I headed round



next few are out of order (thanks blogger)



as always,the volunteers and horticulturists create stunning displays and scenes


this year's theme is the orchids of Costa Rica



I couldn't get a better look at this (it's an animal of some kind)  as they were filming right by it - I'll try again next week)


this year there were more of the arches that are always a fabulous feature of the orchid festival,


you can see how blue the sky still was through the windows above the arch, (fabulous to see, but it does play havoc with the exposure)






we've got to the main section  of the conservatory now and the main display in the pond is of a rising sun - absolutely packed with orchids and flowers


and pillars covered in orchids too
see what I mean about the exposure!

put the other lens on, that's a bit easier to see the concept

over the smaller of the ponds, a group of turtles suspended from the roof

again, I couldn't get to see this due to the filming 





they always put big displays in the ponds
and some incredible birdlife - was going to call it a parrot but it's tail is too long....
I'll try and read the information boards next week







so this year with the one way system you walk a different way round to what I would naturally do
and heading out into what leads to the exit

I see some mossy monkeys ahead...
and happened to turn round... there were loads of the "running" across the underside of the roof


along orchid decorated wires

if it's cloudy next week, they may show up better


we were being directed into the cool orchid room, from the other end,  and another arch just before the door.

the cameraman approached me as I was taking close ups and asked if he could take some pictures/film of me doing so, which I agreed










after signing a release agreement in case they use the footage,  I proceeded on my way through




more exotic birds depicted

it was getting quite busy by now (despite the numbers being restricted by the time slots - just imagine what it would be like without)
so heads in the way..

the sun was beautiful through these orchids on the arch - the tv cameraman (Robin!)  let me take mine first...



































part of another arch


into the next area, I saw a series of masks
and managed to take a photo of the board
























another in the pond display - this is the other pond where I sometimes see the Chinese water dragons

and at the end of the path by the door back to the desert area (currently closed off due to the one way system),  another arch









on my way back past the pond I had the other lens on so you can see the size of the display from earlier
to the upper level now and a very confused one way system!

another beautiful arch
different display

pillar display
top of the pillar 
on the arch

this was the furthest arch on the upper level - in bright sunshine!









pillar in the big pond where the "sun" is  - taken from the upper level

the first arch on the upper level I saw - I told you the one way system was confusing, I seemed to have to double back on myself (which you're not meant to...oops)  
anyway, it was one of the best!
especially with the sun behind the petals


then into the upper fern display - no orchids in here - just cutting through



back on ground level now and the way out
just outside the exit was a golden frog - a display about it being extinct in the wild

and another one on the window 



there was some Costa Rican girls giving a dancing display just outside















then I went to the alpine house


where the little white narcissus were stunning


and this pretty orange fritillaria was too

I headed toward the lake - passing the Palm House through the trees
coming to a huge patch of crocus in flower under some trees
as I was crouching down a couple I often see but haven't for some time, came along so we chatted a while
a bit further along some geese were snoozing under a tree in the sun - these were just two of them, there were loads!
the witch hazel are nearly finished 

I looked hard for a label but couldn't see it  - but loved how the sun shone through the leaves

I first went into the Temperate House

another illuminated leaf - banana this one I think

tubs of narcissus in the first octagon room
hurrah!  in the main room the stairs were accessible so up I went



looking through the window into the octagon 
shapes and patterns
ferns - more shapes and patterns

the ironwork ,also for the patterns in the sun
from the far end of the path round 
the big ferns in the middle of the room


then it was back round to the silver daisy bush - they're opening out nicely 

I got carried away






blogger has been playing nicely up till now..
so we have cobwebs on an agave at the exit






the erica I showed last week
just a couple today
I noticed the little hairs as I was trying to take close ups

more narcissus  in the next octagon room
ok so out of order, but no matter



the roof of one of the octagons, plane coming in to Heathrow 
finally made it to the lake



dogwood at the side of the lake crossing
lots of ducks/gulls/geese on the water today
once I got to the end of the lake I crossed the grass to head back towards the Palm House and came across a load more crocus

walked through the Palm House -  I had real trouble photographing this (and couldn't read the label properly - it's very bird of paradise like but it was called something else )






I hadn't stopped at the pond at 10 on my way to the orchids, and had thought I would miss the sun on the fountain - it was forecast to be cloudy by then 
so I was really pleased it stayed sunny

there are loads - 

I had for the first time in months, brought my longest focal length zoom (thinking I'd need it for the orchid display ) 






so changed to it 

and zoomed 



and zoomed

of course, blogger has played beggers!







I went and checked the queue in the cafe - I hadn't had a lot to eat ( a hot cross  bun on the station platform and a chocolate wafer bar here )  but there wasn't a lot of room so I abandoned the idea

and headed back round the pond - the daffodils are coming through in the beds
the beds at the edge of the ond

there was a long queue waiting to get into the orchids - no wonder I always get early time slots!
so headed down the Broad walk to the exit


the pink hellebores enjoying the sun
so was a bumble bee


a couple of weeks ago I noticed there's a group of the ostrich palm ferns in the bed next to the hellebores


the euphorbias are growing and flowering


















looking lush in the sun, crouching down to get the angles


although most of the seedheads have been cut back,t here's a group of allium left - looking great
dogwood in front of Kew Palace
Kew Palace peeking through the trees
and finally - a cloud pic across Kew Green

well done if you made it this far - I know there are loads of photos - but it's my record as much as anything 

thanks for looking!  

4 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

The orchids were stunning. It never ceases to amaze me how many varieties there are. Your photos show them beautifully. I also enjoyed the masks and the animals and monkeys that were interspersed with the orchids. Costa Rico is famous for their toucans, so I wonder if one of the birds was a toucan, The metal frogs were a nice touch, calling attention to their plight.

Nice photos of the shapes and patterns in the Temperate House. Beautiful ferns.

You'll never hear me complain about the length of your posts. I thoroughly enjoyed each and every photo.

Virginia said...

Wow that was a trip and a half, how stunning do the Orchids look, I love all the animals they've created, my favourite is your shot of the mossy monkeys they are absolutely genius!

I hope you've had a good weekend.

Hugs

Diana Taylor said...

Wow and double Wow! What a beautiful range of orchids, so many colours and shapes - they are totally stunning. They rather eclipsed everything else this week, but I also loved the turtles and the Costa Rican dancers. Oh and those stunning photos of the water fountains - absolutely spectacular, especially with the sun shining through.
Thank you for sharing your visit, I do so enjoy these trips to Kew.
Diana xx

Lynnecrafts said...

The orchids are so beautiful Helen. I’ll look out for the programme.
The mossy monkeys made me smile.
Thanks for sharing your visit
Lynnecrafts 13