Saturday, February 19, 2022

Kew - the day after storm Eunice

 I debated about trying to get to Kew today after the violence of storm Eunice yesterday, there were trees down and roads closed on my route from work (and therefore to Kew as it was a use the bus day today)  but in the end it worked out fine.  It was even sunny for a while

though the sky was grey and cold for my opening photo
it was obvious as soon as I entered the gardens there was significant damage - and this horticulturist was surveying the damage
they'd been busy with the red tape making sure visitors didn't get too close







the daffodils beyond the tree though had come out since last week




signs of Spring in the round bed at the end of the Broad Walk

they had had some damage to the Princess of Wales conservatory (damaged glass from what I could see when I walked all the way round it), so the orchids festival wasn't open to visitors today


I walked passed the start of the woodland walk, lots of crocus under the trees
and daffodils on the hill under the Temple of Aeolus are much more visible


there wasn't much to see in the Evolution Garden,  nor damage either luckily


the vegetable garden, including the grass has been completely stripped back to bare earth to regenerate before spring sowing

Alpine House







back outside at the far end of the grass garden, more red tape...
that's where the branch was torn off

the magnolias opposite the Hive are start to flourish into furry life! 
I was drawn to the storm damage though

this is at the corner of the path crossing the Broad Walk 
the daffodils i photographed earlier by the first fallen tree,  from the other side of the hill
more damage
you can't see, but the crocuses were looking a bit flattened  lol  and lots of leaves amongst them

I took lots of photos of the damage especially the fallen trees, as I am sure by next week the trunks will have been removed, unless they decide (as they often do)  to leave them to encourage wildlife.  Maybe a bit too many to do that though


cornus, a bit of brightness in the sadness of the damage
before coming to another expanse of red tape... it was truly sad to see so much damage, but hardly surprising after such a strong storm




leaf litter amongst the daffodils as I walked through the grass 
I was surprised to see a bright pink rhoodendron flowering already in the rhododendron dell...









yellow tape this time!  the damage had been partly cleared as there was lots of sawdust at the base of the trunk so I think this may have been from a previous storm not yesterday's (possible Dudley earlier this week!)

the lake from the crossing
more damage alongside the lake walking up to the far end
this bench nearly ended up in the lake - just imagine the force to turn it over and over (it's about 5 feet out of position) 


as I walked round the lake I saw the door to the Arboretum Nursery was open -  a rarity for visitors

you don't get to see far inside for bio-security reasons to keep infection and contamination out



I took a few shots


there was a film playing just inside the door








before heading back outside 

to the big fallen tree I'd been heading for when I saw the open door.,



it was definitely the right decision to keep Kew closed yesterday with all these trees falling!  



walking away from the lake towards the Treetop Walkway - they are working on something at the base of the walkway from this direction and it's boarded up - although you can still access the stairs from the other direction.
I am hoping it is the lift they are repairing!!


anyhow, I took some photos of the rusted steel supports which I love, in amongst the trees 


to the left of the path I cut through,  a large trunk - a much older felling - love the cuts in it


although I suspect it may be from an inexpert tree feller!  



















into the Temperate House from the far end so I came to this first 










and some big palm leaves
 as I walked through into the octagon I took some photos of the narcissus in their tubs
you can see how huge they are (tubs,not the flowers, they're small!)

coleus 
some more of the narcissus
round to my favourite, Silver Daisy Bush






they are so delicate,  and you can see the silver stems here 







then it was up to the viewing platform


the tree ferns from above look stunning, and they are so tall now
at the far end of the platform I looked out of the window,  there was a cherry picker and a trailer full of plant debris

I thought initially it was from outside, but not sure now ;  it might be - the palm leave threw me, but there are some by the Palm House near that first fallen tree I had seen


back down on ground level, behind the waterfall in the TH   a white rhododendron in flower
and some unfurling ferns







last week i told you that the tulips in Cherry walk have poked through -  they are properly visible now





I crossed the grass towards the gallery 
and first had a walk round the International Photographer of the Year exhibit - outside this year, not in the Nash Conservatory like it has been recently (a covid thing I imagine)


there were some beautiful winners
someone else likes taking photos of building reflections in puddles!  
I wish I could take pictures like this - although a lot of these are enhanced in "post production"  something I never do (other than an occasional bit of cropping)  




I did go into the gallery but didn't take any photos this time as they are the same as before!  


another bank of daffodils 
walking back along Camellia walk to the exit,  a magnolia starting to open 


and that, as it was now raining, is that!

Thanks for looking,  see you next week - hopefully I'll be able to use my Orchids time slot  and there;ll be no more storms to report on.




2 comments:

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Beautiful flowers. But I always hate seeing the destruction done to trees by powerful storms like that. I'm glad you're okay.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

How incredibly sad for all the trees and the damage Kew suffered from Eunice. You certainly documented the damage well. Looked like even one tree had been uprooted.

How sad the Orchid festival had to be cancelled when people who only get to visit once had to miss out on it. One nice surprise was the Arboretum Nursery. I had no idea about the infection, etc. I enjoyed reading the signs on the windows and about the difference in humidity and pest control. Most interesting.

The orange and white flowers in the Alpine House caught my eye. I really enjoyed my trip there today. I guess because you spent more time and shared more of the overall locations. Just beautiful, including the lovely lavender flowers.

Wonderful photos of the winning photo exhibit. You should submit some of your work. Seems some of these close ups look a lot like the photos you share with us.

Thanks for the trip and for documenting all the damage. It was definitely fascinating and a much different and quite enjoyable visit to Kew this week.