Saturday, February 12, 2022

Kew - Orchids, sunshine and is it nearly spring?

 I had another timeslot booked for the orchids again today and was keen to get back!

it was chilly on arrival, but I was well wrapped up 


I noticed some new signposts had appeared since last week
bare trees, dramatic against the sky 
standing in line waiting to get in to the orchids.

the queues seemed more organised this week
Along with the orchids,  are three "installations"  called Ethereal Nature (I picked up the leaflet today can you tell, ha ha)
by Costa Rican artist Dino Urpi.

they "explore the balance, beauty and harmony of the natural world through whimsical mythology and symbolism"    


was able to get a clearer shot of the puma
and I noticed the sloth this week (wonder if it is the same one they used a few years ago?! must go back through the photos and look)  


then through into the main room

I had to try and wipe the condensation off the lens and keep shooting, there were too many people behind me to stand for ages waiting for it to clear






this first arch is really pretty


the rising sun, the main centrepiece of this year's display, is so beautiful. 









I changed back to the shorter length lens for a wider view 

and the serpent like creature wrapping itself round the handrail of the stairs
slightly misty turtles!












the bird with the magnificent long tail feathers (didn't get the in shot today) is a Quetzal, according to the sign




I was keen to get better photos of the fabulous  monkeys today -  blogger has reversed the order, sorry!





each one has a slightly different pose, and I love how they're tumbling/climbing  across the roof
I also wanted to get some close ups
especially the faces!


from just around the bend as you make your way to the next area





I didn't notice any signs saying what these birds where (Elizabeth suggested toucans, possibly )  there were several children and lots of big people all keen to look!  we seemed to be moving at a faster pace than last week,
I'll look again next Saturday!

apparently Costa Rica has 1600 species of orchids.











as I mentioned last week, there are more arches this year 





each arch is slightly different,


at the top of the stairs on the upper level, overlooking the pond below
love the pattern on this orchid
the rising sun from above
the arch I said was my favourite last week - no sun today,  it was slightly less impressive froma distance today, without the blue sky backdrop,  but still beautiful





and close up components just beautiful




I love all the huge bromelliads used


















towards the exit now




















I noticed another golden frog today, in between the inner and outer doors.


I was too early for the dancers today so headed
to the alpine house
where they've re-organised and the  anemones are now amongst the gorgeous white narcissus
the little orange fritillary are opening




I walked along the path through the evolution garden - not a lot growing yet, but the gardener still has his thistles!
daffodils coming out up the slope... spring is definitely coming 






there are splashes of colour appearing 
edgworthia,  lemon yellow with deeper middles 
I managed to get close enough to the slope to get the shot of the snowdrops and daffodils just coming through
taking the woodland walk back to the palm house,  lots more crocus - not open yet, as there is  more shade here
the yellow in the foreground is a witch hazel
the fountain getting blown about in the breeze again

a mass of yellow blossom on this tall tree -  Cornellian Cherry



more hellebores
through the still bare branches of my favourite spring tree (cherry)  the fountain spray against the dogwood





I decided to eat today (I'd already had my hot cross bun!)   and as most of the tables inside were full, and the sun had come out, I sat outside

nearly lost the empty plate and my mask, in a gust of wind but I managed to stop them flying away

then I headed for the Temperate House via the witch hazels

there is a smaller shrub in amongst the big bed of hellebores that was glistening in the sun

round the other side most of the witch hazels have finished, but this deep yellow one is still gorgeous

the grass was a bit sticky but I managed to crouch down for some close ups of the deep burgundy hellebores  without falling over when I got up again







as I walked to theTemperate House, I noticed that the rope fencing has been put up along cherry walk to protect the tulips (which are always so fabulous in spring)  and that the tulips are starting to poke through the grass.  yay!! Spring!  



in the Temperate House,  the silver daisy bush (order reversed again thanks, blogger)  the flowers are now coming out nicely






and then I went up to walk round the platform 


the sun was starting to come out now so the palms and ferns were nicely lit through the windows



looking through the holes along the platform... 



those palms in the centre, from the other end of the platform. 
climbers around the stairs 


looking good against the now blue sky
wispy ends to those palms!

in the middle octagon, the narcissus were lit by the sun

so many different shades


palmy patterns!





not many flowers left on this now
more patterns


outside again, walked up to the Pagoda

no signs yet of blossom on the nearby flowering cherry trees ; I suppose it is a bit early still

wending my way to the lake, though I came across some early daffodils in the sun under trees - they must be very early varieties as the ones on the Broad Walk are only stems still

but they make me smile!
and some yellow crocus - all the ones I've seen so far are the purple varieties
sunny paths
and shadows 

lots of visitors sitting on the benches enjoying the sunshine
another Cornellian cherry at the side of the lake
beautiful!

from the crossing
into the sun shining on the water

then heading back towards the Palm House by a different route - drawn by the purple in the distance



I got a good close up on the phone

just fabulous!



back at the Palm House pond, I had to take more photos of the fountain spray  - despite having the long zoom again, it wasn't playing ball


and wouldn't focus properly - still it's quite dramatic




heading down the Broad Walk 
pink hellebores
euphorbia

on the corner of the path that leads to the Hive, a huge tree has a mass of snowdrops and crocus under it
I managed to get in to get a closer look



thanks for looking - not as many photos this time (just)  but hope you enjoyed them.  

2 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Loved your first shot and, as suspected, i see the urns are still unplanted. I love when you show those, too.

I had to stop and read the signs, too. I see they show the way to the food court!

I think that Costa Rican art is amazing. So colorful and filled with their culture. The puma is beautiful and that sure looks like the same sloth to me.

Are those bright yellow flowers orchids in the first arch? They sure make a great statement. The Rising Sun is lovely. I like the leaves and grasses they used, too.

That serpent looks evil, but I like the turtles a lot. And I like the close-ups of the monkeys. I didn't realize they had grasses growing out of the tops of their heads until I saw then up close.

Not sure it's a toucan from the photo you shared this week, but I was blown away by the fact that Costa Rica has over 1600 varieties of orchids. I had no idea so many even existed, yet every year you show different countries with their own cultivated orchids.

Amazing what back lighting can do to a photo. I still think this arch is beautiful.

I've never heard of orange fritillary before, but they are beautiful. Reminds me of a miniature day lily.

OMGoodness. Love the photos of the snowdrops and daffs.

Loved seeing the palms and ferns in sunlight. They are beautiful in any light, but these were even more special.

Beautiful crocuses. I've seen them here in the states, but never en-mass like this.

thanks for taking us with you to see the beautiful orchids again this week, Helen. Sorry I'm late visiting. I have a sick wee one (Squiggles), so computer time has been when I could get to it.

Celtic house said...

Oh I so love the additions of art into all those fabulous plants and flowers.

The spring flowers are lovely I was hoping for a snowdrop visit this week but the weather has been awful.

I hope you manage a visit tomorrow.

Hugs