Saturday, January 29, 2022

Kew - sunny and windy


Welcome back for another trip to Kew

patches of blue amidst a somewhat dramatic sky to start with






this one I took on my phone caught the clouds a few seconds later to more dramatic effect





 I was surprised to see the sun today as it wasn't in the forecast   and it was quite windy - fortunately the severe winds further north in the UK of Storm Malek weren't really a problem down here


the spray of the fountain was being blown about though (to greater effect later, as we'll see)





I headed for the evolution garden first 

the teasels against the blue sky were looking good

a lot of the planting in the evolution garden , even the seed heads of plants has been cut down to the ground ready for the new season but the teasels remain
the statue is still holding onto his thistles!


it was so nice to see blue sky - and I quite regretted not having sunglasses as of course at this time of yer the sun is low
geranium leaves turning pinky orange - I saw them across the path and had to go see what was so bright

they look really striking against the bare earth
looking back across the length of the evolution garden
had to be quick with some of the photos as the sun was being hidden by fast moving clouds quite regularly
crossing through into the rock garden


the sun was reflecting on the waterfall 
another flush of blooms of anemones in the alpine house
such a pretty purple



this week you CAN see they are yellow!


the teeny narcissus taken from low down against the sky

as you may know I love the structure of the alpine house, especially brightly lit against a cloudy sky



then I went up to the Hive




large group of snowdrops under a huge tree alongside the Broad Walk 
crossed the path and walked across the grass in the sun towards the Palm House
in front of the Palm House is the waterlily house, huge backs of soil stacked up ready for re-planting for spring
Palm House thrown into sillhouette by the sun
one of the huge trees at the edge of the rose garden




I went into the Palm House from the "back door"  on the rose garden side 

large stag head fern overhead


coming out the pond side of the Palm House,  the dogwoods bright along the side of the pond
then heading round the path towards the Mediterranean garden and the witch hazels.  


taking advantage of the sunny day and the blue sky backdrop for the trees

overhead into the tree canopy

bright shadows on the equally bright grass


the yellow witch hazels are still in full flower, the orange varieties appear to be fading already







a couple I shared to FB from my phone (I don't do instagram)

hellebore clumps under the witch hazels
Temperate House 



progress update on the Silver Daisy Bush








sadly the barrier to the stairs to the upper walkway round the Temperate House was in place, so no view from on high this week



although at the stairs down from the upper level, no barrier in place, (although as it;s a one way system i suppose it doesn't matter)



it was looking striking in the sun though

pretty mauve flowers by the side 



it always surprises me that this is an erica (heather family)  but I love it's delicate flowers, a great mass of them
it's opposite this  (sparrmannia africana)




still looking good -  above head height 


from the doorway along the length
heading along the grass towards the lake via the Japanese Garden









on the lake crossing, someone was feeding the ducks/gulls causing a frenzy!
this was a bit snatched (was trying to be quick)
first shadow selfie of the year I think 
I walked a different path back to the Palm House for the exit


where as promised, the wind was buffeting the spray of the fountain - I should have taken a video on my phone!



blogger is reversing order again but this time I am cutting and re-doing!  

so you get the sequence in the right order and the spray changing 








couple from the phone
love the sky above





back to camera as I continued my route round the pond
out of the sun now so the effect isn't as impressive


but the effect of the wind on the spray is still implied






I didn't stop for food today, (although I did eat a hot cross bun as I walked round)  so decided to head for home- my right knee starts to ache after a couple of hours walking, it must be old age - so I called it a day

thanks for looking - make sure you come back next week as it's ORCHID TIME  !  

4 comments:

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

A fine day for a visit to Kew what a dramatic sky you captured with those rolling clouds, it was pretty much the same sort of day down my neck of the woods yesterday with the winds getting stronger and stronger.
I can imagine how those geranium leaves popped right out at you with their pinky/orange leaves they carry on throughout all weathers don't they real little troopers. I especially love how you photographed the foliage with the blurred distant doorway, like a work of art.
Thanks for bringing a little piece of Kew back to us Helen..
Happy Sunday Hugs Tracey xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'll be back after my haircut to visit. right now, I must get to bed or I'll miss my appointment.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I didn't get much sleep because I kept tossing and worried I would miss my appointment. Got there early and waited and waited. Seems the girl had told me Sunday, but wrote Monday in her book. Now I do it all again tomorrow. At least this time, I have a later appointment.

That sky WAS dramatic looking. The teasels in the evolution garden were lovely against the sky in the background.


I've not seen geranium leaves those colors before. Mine go from green to brown.

The waterfall looks incredibly cold. I also love the shape of the Alpine house and was so glad to see an airplane in the background. Yes, I enlarge every photo.

You look all bundled in the selfie. Adorable hat and that scarf is nice, too. LOVE the palms and the phptp pf the grasses around the pond. I love how green the grass is under the trees.

Those ducks knew how to stir the waters, so to speak.

Great shadow selfie. You look weighted down with your equipment, though.

That spray of water around the fountain was incredible. I loved seeing the way you moved around the pond, too.

Sorry to read about your knee. I will definitely be by to see the orchids next week.

Celtic house said...

Oh another lovely walk around Kew and you didn't get the high winds, we did but it has been overnight for a couple of nights and the days have been fairly calm - which is weird.

I love the shot inside the hive, it really is a stunning structure.

The water feature is always stunning outside, particularly when the light catches it.

I did wonder if you'd stopped for a snack, glad you had something on the go and hope your knee has improved, I must admit the YSP walk starts to give me grief when we are so far round.

Have a lovely week

Hugs