Saturday, January 1, 2022

Happy New Year - Kew

 it was great to get back to Kew today after a gap last week for Christmas and not getting in a visit during the week, being too lazy to make an effort. 

It was also lovely to see blue skies and sunshine

it's been so long since the sky was blue!  the temperature was mild too, quite unlike - was going to say December, but oops it's January




walking round the pond, I loved how the sun was shining through the dogwood




the sun was shining through the trees 



I went first into the Princes of Wales conservatory
where I just avoided a soaking as the Kew student had only just finished watering 
I found the orchids 





I went back out through the same way I came in

pretty patterns on the perlagoniums in the doorway


the sun was dappled through the sculpture 
I walked round to the evolution garden
there were odd bits of colour here and there
the mahonia is still beautiful. 

ostrich plume fern -  not noticed these before,  but the brown was bright in the sunshine

I always like the huge trees at the far end of the rock garden on days like this



with large expanses of cloud lit by the sun 










agapanthas seedheads 




the large acer opposite the archway between the evolution and rockgarden has a huge patch of snowdrops  round their roots which always flower early




inside the alpine house, they've changed the display and there were some beautiful anemones turned translucent by the sun
















and some pretty yellow flowers (nananthus) 





the outline of the alpine house against the sky, another favourite view in the low winter light


see what I mean about big trees against the sky
magnolias bursting into bud everywhere

a large clump of fluffy stuff!

at the edge of the broad walk

I walked across the grass toward the Palm House, under large trees






the waterlily house has been emptied for the winter to be cleaned out and will be re-filled and planted in spring

it always amazes me that the waterlilies grown each year from scratch to such beauties.


I walked round the outside of the Palm House through the rose garden - the large red spikes (part of the light display) where glowing in the sun
I walked past the little temple - the hellebores at the foot are still not out - though there are some out elsewhere
the yellow witch hazel has come out now
and along with the orange varieties, are looking fabulous











I went into the Temperate House - this gorgeous bottle brush, bright lemon yellow just inside the door 


the silver daisy bush buds are filling out





this is always one of my favourites, I think it may have been moved as it was at the end of a path and I remember it further along.   

There were several people all taking pictures of it so it's obviously not only me who loves it



then it was to the lake, and blogger has right at the end started reversing order....


dogwood in the island in the middle of the lake
gorgeous reflections of the orangey gold leaves


clouds gathering over the Temperate House as I exited (told you blogger had reversed order)  

look at the sun shining on the dogwood at the other end of the lake crossing


and through the branches 


I walked back up the grass 
nearly stumbling on some funghi














I got back to the cafe and stopped for something to eat - tables inside were full and it was quite busy so I took advantage of the mild weather and ate outside - the tables and chairs are not back yet as the Christmas at Kew event goes on another few days 

as you can see I had to perch on a wall 

as I sat there, the clouds had come across and blocked out the sun, so I headed home.





final shot is some hellebores in the bed at the entrance 


It was fabulous to be back in the fresh air and at my happy place once more - only one week that I wasn't able to visit but it seems longer!

Thanks for looking.  

3 comments:

Celtic house said...

Oh the blue skies make such a difference doesn't it, your tri looks lovely, we are looking at possibly heading to YSP tomorrow to blow off the cobwebs and get a decent walk.

I hope you have a lovely sunday and week ahead.

Hugs

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I was stupid to leave town yesterday. After all it was raining. However while at the party I was invited to, the temp dropped and the rain turned to ice and sleet. To make matters worse, I didn't bring a coat to wear over my sweat shirt and jeans. What took a little over an hour to get to the party took over four hours to slip and slide home. Harrowing. It made seeing those beautiful blue skies all the more enjoyable.

I see the urns are still relatively clean, but winter has just arrived, actually. You wouldn't guess it since the grass was so green and the sun so bright.

I loved the snowdrops that I have only seen in photos. I can see how they get their name. I had to laugh at the large clump of fluffy stuff!

I'd hate to have to clean the waterlily house, It looks like it would be a bear to clean.

Oh wow on the bottle brush bush, I am used to the pink ones. I have NO idea what the flowers are in photo 69, but they looked like eggs to me.

I almost forgot to tell you, the teens who now live in CA, wished you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Yes, they visit your blog on Sunday and will know I let you know.

Helen said...

Elizabeth, thanks as always for visiting and for the update re the teens - to whom I say, thank you for your good wishes and i reciprocate to you. Hope you enjoy the new year at Kew with me! the eggs in photo are the fruits of the Tamarillo tree tomato (I labelled it in a previous visit)