Saturday, December 18, 2021

Kew - twas the week before Christmas

 I can't quite believe it's a week to Christmas - which means no trip to Kew next week!  I am really hoping that with the rising Covid numbers that I will be able to go in between Christmas and New Year (we are not working in between) if the government doesn't impose restrictions again.  

it was a dull but mild day... 
I walked round the pond first,  one of the few bursts of colour from the dogwood



then I went into the Princess of Wales conservatory 
some orchids  - I'd lost the lens cap on the way there  and I was having the usual misting up trouble 



round by the pond in the POW  - no sign of water dragons today, I looked hard 
they have a huge hanging basket of Christmas cactus by the door out from this section


I love these delicate little flowers
then outside to the Evolution Garden,  no real colour left and lots of the growth has been cut down, but there are some seedheads left 
I loved these
they look totally different from the other angle due to the way the light hits them


the berberis has pops of colour in it's leaves
and so does the mahonia,  
couldn't see a label on this and I can't remember what it is

I like the stripey effect though

the grasses are looking good, not had their winter haircuts yet
in the Alpine House
one or two Nerines still flowering


vibernum
on the Broad Walk,  some more grasses
in the Palm House
steps up to the top walkway (out of use at present)


walking out through the rose garden these rose leaves were fascinating 


the witch hazel flowers have started to burst open in the last week



ivy

in the Temperate House, the silver daisy bush flowers are growing... 

lots of the beds have been cut back, I liked the look of the stems of this, cut down to ground level


little narcissus

then it ws round to the lake,  no reflections today, too dull

lots of birds about



walking back past the Mediterranean garden

another look at the Christmas baubles

and a final liquidamber tree that still has some leaves left


Can't quite believe how few photos I took today, the fewest for I don't know how long... but thanks for looking

Happy Christmas and hopefully we'll re-group in between Christmas and New Year for another walk.









5 comments:

Celtic house said...

Oh your trip looks fab I hope you manage more visits over the festive season, we are all holding our breath to see what Boris does and very much in the "not again" mode. Have a beautiful and blessed Christmas xxxx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Story of my life. I'm once again later than late.
Sorry to read about the rising Covid numbers and possible govt. restrictions. Speaking of govt., I saw where Johnson is out. I was shocked, but a tad delighted he and his wild hair will be gone soon. I can no longer say I'm doing my Johnson hairdo interpretation.

I think the seed heads are lovely, too. I like how you captured them. Again, Love seeing mahonia, since it reminds me of Annie's blog header.

Wow the face sculpture is totally visible, now. i was also surprised how few photos you took. I also couldn't believe how you quickly went from one house to the next without stopping to take photos of something interesting in between. Still, I enjoyed every photo.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Looking a bit chilly today but still pretty. Hugs, Angela xXx

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

I wouldn't call that "hardly any photos" LOL. Looks like a misty day, but at least it gives an eerie feel to the photos!

pearshapedcrafting said...

Hi Helen, don't faint - it's me!!I have visited your blog but when I try to leave a comment it changes into a 'read only' page. Suffice to say that I enjoyed my look through at your Dina pages(and new stamps), the Christmas cards and sneaky peeks at what I have coma to look t now. I know I am going to enjoy my visit so will only leave a comment here because it is allowing me to comment.
I've loved seeing the Witch hazel here and the dogwood is always a joy to see at this time of year! Hugs, Chris