Saturday, December 11, 2021

Kew - then booster day - and hello old friend!


 I'm starting with a glorious sky this morning as I left for the bus (train cancellations due to crew shortages)  


it was very short lived though and by the time I'd got to the bus stop (ten minutes) it had gone










I arrived early enough to go to the cafe up  the road for a coffee and (warm) croissant for breakfast before heading to the gate



once in, I headed for my traditional first stop 
then a walk round the pond 













there was a good reflection of the sky from the viewing platform (for the Light display)  in the pond





even without the fountain playing, it looks good




I went into the Princess of Wales conservatory first

today I saw the name - Heliconia 




already blogger is reversing the order of the pictures... 

misting lens!  
there are always such interesting plants in the POW  
and as I walked up the steps to the upper level, I was delighted to catch sight of the Chinese Water dragon on the rock - for the first time in months!

I cropped a copy so we can see it better

I am so glad they are still around, I was getting quite concerned not to have seen one for so long.


Sadly where he was sat I couldn't get any better photos.


 
upstairs now,  some rare sunlight through a window illuminated some ferns










outside at the top of the rock garden the little blue  had gone but these huge pines (I think)  stood out against the sky



I walked through the alpine house

it seems to be an in between time for much colour, but the little narcissus are still gorgeous

the berberis in the evolution garden is turning a golden orange 


and the mahonia was looking fine 



sedum seedheads

couldn't see a label on these, there were 2 but I loved the fanlike shape of the leaves

love teasels!
then back round the pond to the Palm House - going inside this time


love the dogwood stems 


this flower had fallen off it's host (no idea what it is)  and was on the bench at the exit of the palm house








the witch hazel are in bud.  hopefully we'll be able to come and see them in bloom after Christmas,  if covid levels don't keep rising to cause more restrictions (missed them last year)


trying for some arty shots now with the Temperate House in the background by the (ivy?)  

this is the mass of shrub I tried to identify many visits ago  

needless to say blogger is reversing the order again!

the cloud parted momentarily 
so the treetop walkway was bathed in sun
and so too the cherry trees in cherry walk 

I found some orchids in the temperate house 
and some more narcissus in the octagon


the fern stems are always a favourite, gleaming!  

the ferns at the edge of the path through the centre of the TH against the waterfall - I was trying to catch the splashes from the water !


the silver daisy bush  - my favourite in here - is starting to bud up ready -  again, I missed this in lockdown last year 


I made sure to look up at the mass of pink flowers (forgot to look for the name again)
and got shots from different angles



it obviously likes to grow towards the light as all the flowers - or the majority - are congregated at the top of the plant




on the way through the next octagon I stopped to photograph the aoenium again


I love the glossy shine!



by the far door there was a kniphofia flowering




outside round the back of the temperate house, is the next part of the trail,  
this will look better at night!

but the carousel ride is great day or night

the sun was creating a great look on the temperate house




walking past the treetop walkway towards the lake -  not taking the time (or energy) to climb it)


there were several people who were, however

nearing the lake,  this is one of the huge ancient trees in Kew, I love all the knobbly bits!

the dogwood by the edge of the lake are in leaf
and there's another larger patch a little further along - a rare reflection now as it had gone quite cloudy
i walked to the far boundary of the gardens then through the woodland area (usually only do this at bluebell time)



some fluffy seedheads
part of the Christmas at Kew - can't remember what this was called, something about birds though

I went into the gallery to see the Zadok Ben-David exhibition - only two photos today of the shadows in one of the perspex displays



from there I went back to the exit to visit  shop (bought a couple of Christmas presents)  and headed home having realised I was running the risk of being late for my Covid booster jab (I was in time)  

Thanks for looking,  hope to see you again next week!


3 comments:

Diana Taylor said...

Fantastic photos Helen, I love the shape of the Heliconia - it looks so Art Nouveau in style. I think you are right about those seed heads being ivy - I've got tons of the stuff at the top of my garden and am loth to cut it back as Chris Packham says it's so wonderful for wildlife - the seed heads look very much like those. Glad you are all boosted, and I hope you don't get any bad effects.
Enjoy the rest of the weekend,
Diana xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Somehow I never see sky shots as lovely and stunning as yours early in the morning. I enjoyed them. The pond looks beautiful and I love the colors that still surround it.

The Heliconia is amazing. Reminds me of bird of paradise on steroids! I was also excited to see the Chinese water dragon. I'd be excited, too.

Wow, those tiny flowers in the Alpine house always amaze me. The mahonia looks like the one on Annie's header. At least now I know what it is.

Beautiful artsy shot of the rock garden waterfall, but my favorite photo was 37 with the fan shaped leaves. Of course, I was pretty impressed with the carousel horses, too!!!

Glad you were in time to get your booster. I got mine several weeks ago, when they recommended it for anyone over 16 IF they had taken the single shot J & J vaccine before, which I did. Thanks for this beautiful day, dear.

Celtic house said...

I love the fluffy seed heads in fact Kew is looking asbeautuful as always. I'm glad you've sorted your booster I've also had mine although could do with sorting out my flu one.

Hope you are having a good week

Xxxx