Saturday, November 6, 2021

Kew in technicolour - and Christmas is coming!

 I got to Kew early enough to go for breakfast before heading in at 10.

actually sat in a cafe enjoying hot chocolate and a warm croissant


then headed down the road to (im)patiently wait for opening..


the workforce was hard at work installing the electrics for Christmas at Kew, which starts unbelievably in a couple of weeks

so today you'll see sneak peaks (I haven't got tickets so make the most of it)  and work in progress
you may be  able to see (you will later)  some stars across the pond which will be part of the light show



it's going to be one of those posts,  blogger already adding photos in reverse order...







I went into the princess of wales conservatory first and yes, in reverse order again


some orchids  on show


palms


the titan arum is growing but the photos weren't good so I've left them out



by the exit, next to my favourite Grevillea (which is mostly devoid of flowers for now)  was this beauty.   couldn't see a label
in the alpine house, some teeny flowers


the nerines were still looking pretty but they've moved the tubs of scillia, so they  must have finished


the acer at the entrance to the evolution garden from halfway along the path in the rock garden

a lot of the leaves have fallen
most of the pumpkins from the display have gone, they've been donated to food banks

but these that were displayed on this cone like structure are still there



the borage was still lovely


then I went along to the physalis

they were looking fab amongst the stalks

there was also a robin hopping about but wouldn't stay still long enough for the shutter!  





most of the rest of the evolution garden was seedheads


back at the head of the Broad Walk
I walked round  the side of the palm house, stopping for this fab cloudy sky!
the sun was quite bright in reality







the waterlily house has now closed and been emptied for winter cleaning until next March
part of the Christmas lights trail



as you can see there was lots of colour everywhere 




I was intending to head to the lake and wandered across the grass  round the acers 











at the lake,  a new light installation for this year, bet this will look great lit up

it looked fabulous from the other side, with the trees behind it 













following the path round the other side of the lake were some new neon shapes for Christmas..

more back to front photos..

walked along the path towards the Japanese gateway




the flowers on the fatsia 






the huge liquidamber tree is slowing turning colour





the sun came out as I stood by the liquidamber tree to let one of the Kew trains trundle past








on my way to the Temperate House I stopped to go to the loo at the Pavilion Cafe  and remembered I'd not looked for these beautiful berries for a few weeks - they last ages!
so many different shades on one vine


there are some beautiful bright red leaves over a pergola by the outside seating outside the cafe

cherry trees outside the Temperate House 

I was pleased to see that in the first octagon space in the TH the chrysanthemums have been left,




and looking fabulous still


the rest of the inside Japan event has been dismantled

in themain atrium I noticed these plum like fruits (presumably)

the label says they are a Tamarillo Tree tomato.....

I didn't really notice what the actual tree they grow from was like!



they are installing lights ( or maybe dismantling them)  round parts of the TH so you couldn't walk round some side paths 
so outside again looking towards the Palm House - fantastic colour all they way down



and in portrait mode!



there were lots of trees that have lost lots of leaves and the grass was covered in them
sun dappling at the foot of the trees






I crossed towards the gallery - can't miss going to see the exhibition again 

outside, the light was shimmering through the leaves

the leaves are all gone from this beauty - they always fall fast - and it's been strung with lights for Christmas at Kew
inside I took a (slightly blurry) photo from the doorway of the first display


I didn't take too many photos today, as I've done that already!

but I did of this because of the shadows cast on the sand


there are quite a lot of trees strung with lights ready,  and are already roped off to stop access near the trunks.





oh FFS   it's put this next batch in reverse order again.


I was walking back down the grass through the leaf litter having a good scuffle through them- nice and dry underfoot today 










hopefully the next batch will go in order.







gorgeous!
into the Palm House

bent down to take the pic of the pots just inside the doorway


camera was misting badly at this point









luckily the phone doesn't!







this always catches the light at the far door (if the sun is shining)

today I noticed flowers at the base
the name of this is huge

Johannesteijsmannia  altifrons



outside I took another photo of the beds with all the boxes of equipment in the middle pathway


as I did so, I noticed the colour in the tree by the temple at the far end and realised I'd not seen it close up today


stopping as I did at the pond,  I loved how the gulls were sitting on the horizontal bars of the stars!



stunning!


and this is too






as I was up close today I stopped to read the board by the side 


hopefully you can enlarge it to read it


then it was time to head for the train - they seem to be permanently at odd times these days (hence getting the bus on the way to Kew)  

so just a couple of pics down the Broad Walk




whilst laboriously uploading these photos to blogger I forgot to look for a sunset - I don't think there can have been much of one, as I would have noticed if there was bright light to my left

so I'l finish with a few of the lovely gentle sunrise from this norning!



which once again blogger has added back to front so it looks as if the colour got lighter not darker


anyhow, thanks for looking and I hope to do it again next week (covid tests allowing - been doing daily lateral flow tests since mid week as a girl at work has got it! )



1 comment:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

As always, I enlarged the photos and it was then that I saw the stars in the pond.

The orchids are lovely and I always love palms. Nice to know the pumpkins went to food banks. I have a thing for seedheads. They make great backgrounds, if nothing else.

Those Christmas lights remind me of bottle brush trees you buy at the craft store.

Autumn colors have truly taken over in your world. Glad to see they left the mums. Theirs are so much healthier looking than mine.

I always love the palms and laughed at the name of the one in the pot. Not sure how you remembered it, but I couldn't even spell it right, I don't think.

I enjoyed reading about the Temple of Bellona. Isn't it amazing the temple of war survived, yet the temple of peace did not. Can we read something into that?

Sorry to read about your Covid problems. I hope all is well with you, dear.