Saturday, November 27, 2021

a very cold Kew

 Parts of the UK were battered by a storm overnight and whilst down my way wasn't too badly affected, it was COLD!  I had to go to Kew by bus today as there were engineering works on part of the rail journey I need. Luckily, the sleet/rain forecast stayed away, just a few brief spots of rain

a few glimpses of blue sky to start with....
walking round the pond, evidence of the strong winds overnight - lots of leaf litter 
as I walked round the pond, the sun came out for a few (brief minutes) and I had time for some shadow dancing

you can't tell from the photo how many layers I was wearing - 2 pairs of socks, woolly hat, hood on my coat up, scarf, gloves....  and still cold 


this was the last of the sun though




I went into the Princess of Wales conservatory first and when I came out, it was back to cloud



the titan arum definitely isn't developing like the last one did... will be interesting to see what happens next
it was nice and warm in here, but I couldn't stay all morning!  





























then it was next door into the alpine house
there are always new things to look at - I forgot to snap the label of this but it was fluffy and pretty

then into the Evolution Garden 

I found some skeletonised flowers on the physalis,





seedheads 

the callicarpa berries are starting to fade a little from their purple beauty

the magnolias are budding 

the cotinus by the Hive is spectacular


did some close ups on the phone 



then I walked across with the children's garden in the distance -I like the colour of the hedging 

I came up to the Palm House with some of the Christmas lighting in the front
a lot of the trees had shed many leaves - not only over night but in the last week as a whole


it's definitely winter now! if not quite meteorologically yet 


because I had walked across the grass towards the Rose Garden I came to a rope that I had to step over (it was there as a guide to the edge of the path for the Christmas lights, lucky I have quite long legs)

There were one or two flowers left on the roses
the colour of the leaves on this rose were stunning,  so rich and multi coloured,  with the Palm House in the background 
and lots of hips 








I walked through the rose garden into the Palm House (time to warm up again!)





the colours round the side of the pond are still strong, 











I decided to have an early pit stop for refreshment - my latest favourite (because they can heat it up)  - the pork and cranberry sausage roll,  and hot chocolate.

I noticed whilst I sat (inside as there was plenty of room and early enough not to be full yet) that it was raining



then, outside - had timed it well, the rain had stopped, maybe an odd spit or spot of rain but nothing much

nearly all of the leaves on the stunning trees by the Temple of Bellona have dropped now




I should know what this is but I don't

it's in the bed where the hellebores are, and I was expecting to see more of them coming into flower, but maybe it is still a little early for them

puddle pictures in Cherry Walk approaching the Temperate House

spits and spots of rain again, heading indoors to stay dry!

Tea Plant (camellia)  in the Temperate House

in one of the connecting octogans where the chrysanthemums where, was a large pot with some aeoniums in  (the outdoor ones in the Mediterranean garden have been taken inside somewhere for the winter I noticed)






















I headed for the gallery 

the carpet of leaves (that photo is now my screen saver on my phone)  have been swept up (or blown away)


walking round the path today got a closer view of all the lights on the trees with a viewing area for the Lights event



the acer by the side of the gallery is fabulous


inside, I only took one photo of one of the single pieces in a display box

I talk the path down Camellia Walk 


one of the stars hanging in a tree 
towards the main entrance a large fuschia, still flowering away (I have one too - a different variety that is also still flowering)  they can be incredibly hardy and flower for months and months
on my way out I end with a photo of the Christmas tree by the entrance.



Not so many photos today, a shorter visit due to the cold - but still beautiful!

Thanks for looking 


4 comments:

Sally H said...

Beautiful photos! you really captured the colours! It is very windy where we are today. Horizontal rain too

Celtic house said...

Lovely photos, I'm glad you got despite the cold, we woke to a thick blanket of snow which is now icy, the festive sausage roll sounds lovely and the photos are beautiful as always xxx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Loved seeing the leaf klitter and your dancing in the sun. Too bad it was so cold. Cold here, too, but lots of sunshine.

Th second titan arum doesn't look the same, that's for sure. Stunning orchids, though. Love those skeleton flowers on the physalis. I've never seen a rose with orange leaves before.

Pork and cranberry sausage roll sounds different, but the hot cocoa sounds good.

It's amazing how different everything looks from last week, even the trees around the Temple. I've never seen a tea plant before. It's beautiful. The Christmas show is going to be beautiful, I bet.

Thanks for taking us to Kew today, Helen.

Diana Taylor said...

Beautiful photos Helen, and still so much colour about. My Hellebores are showing new growth but no buds yet so perhaps it's still a little early for them - really looking forward to seeing photos of them, they are one of my favourites for winter.
Diana xx