Saturday, September 4, 2021

Kew in September

 The year is racing along and we're in the final weeks of the 8am members opening at Kew (and next week is a late start due to a local run event taking place) 

The forecast for during the week is quite a lot warmer but today still dull and grey first thing

at the top of the Broad Walk



then I cut across the grass (dry today)  and past the Princess of Wales conservatory - big agaves outside
and the end of the Rock Garden
on my way to the Evolution Garden, easily my favourite at this time of year




the colours are definitely looking more autumnal now


I love to blur the drifts in the background


the umbels were looking magnificent  I love this group of plants, so many varieties but these white ones are gorgeous

and the pinky red stems are lovely

the delphiniums are still looking iridescently beautiful too


at the end of the pergola a last flush of roses


the dahlia still attracting me

they've moved two big pumpkins to the middle of the bed where the tomatoes were dug up from
they seem to be having a bumper year for pumpkins and squashes 

then I walked down the salvia border by the edge of the rock garden






















then through the grass garden

outside the other end of the POW conservatory

middle section of the Broad Walk 
you don't notice the webs on the flowers till you download the photos!







the bees were smothering these salvias







walked round past Kew Palace


before following the path round the outside of the Children's playground to the Living Rooves  plantscapes.  
I think they've been given a haircut, I am sure the growth was "wilder" last time I was here


wider angle view 


the sun was dappling through the trees as I carried on my way



























past the bamboo garden

















to the lake 

























and then to the small pond along Cedar Vista 
where I sat for a few minutes in the sun




as I walked on my way to the Temperate House a fox ran out from a bush and scampered off

you don't often see foxes in the day time when there are people about


surprisingly when I got the Temperate House the doors were already open, about ten minutes shy of 10am



there weren't many people inside yet so the pathways were empty
still a little sun shining through the huge leaves



my favourite Silver Daisy bush - missed most of the flowers back when the glasshouses were shut for COVID regulations, but I've been checking since re-opening and today there were a few 


they always water before visitors come in (and get in the way of the hoses)  so some ferns were dripping



bright green stems of the fronds of the Tree Ferns

on leaving the Temperate House I went and sat on my curvy Please be Seated -  I presume as it is part of the temporary Plantscapes exhibit, it will be disappearing later this month




I walked across the grass to the gallery stopping to photograph the building next door
the huge sugar maple outside the gallery is slowing turning orange!  
back at the entrance 
the verbena, tall and imposing


headed inside for my elevenses...


hot chocolate again, and Hummingbird cake,  only one choice of freshly sliced cake due tot he Covid restrictions  - it's rather good though!

then - I don't sit for long -  
to the Palm House

the huge hibiscus are still flowering by the door


it was a steam-up day again!

inside the main door,  some smaller hibiscus

outside again 


into the waterlily house

a few more pelican flowers - it is growing across the ceiling and down the other side of the doorway
not much inside the waterlily pond today worhty of de-misting for!! 











this must be what they look like as they start to fade
I've not been there at the right stage of the flowers before


and back outside again, heading for the Princes sof Wales glasshouse next

past the pond

and more signs of autumn, 
colchicum flowering in  the woodland path

flowering cactus in the entrance of the POW




I kept cutting back on myself up and down stairs 

















down by some orchids

not sure what this is, but it was long and striking
a new titan arum is growing, must keep an eye on this
bet I miss it flowering !








then outside and down the end of the Broad Walk,  

love the contrast of the white Japanese anemone with the yellow rudbeckia behind, matching the middles of the anemones.



catching the drifts at the end of the Broad Walk
and some more verbea on my way to the exit.



Thanks for looking 
See you next week.

3 comments:

craftimamma said...

Some lovely colours again today Helen and they still looked nice and bright inspite of the dull day. Those final drifts on your way out looked lovely. Sorry I have to say it, those pelican flowers are quite gross, lol! Lucky to capture the fox!
My favourite today is the beautiful rose. The colour is so creamy.....just delicious! Xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I know. You don't have to tell me. I've already caught enough flack from the kids in CA who rag on me when they see I haven't posted anything on this blog. I am sorry, really. I have been by a couple of times, and just never had time to leave a proper comment. However, I made a vow today I would do just that, even if it took all night to leave one!

I can't believe how full the flowers in the Parterre in front of the Palm House have gotten. The same for the flowers at the top of the Broad Walk. Everything has grown so large and filled in so nicely. The urns are still looking good, too.

Loved the look of the Rock Garden and the Evolution Garden is beautiful. I can see why it's a favorite right now. Such stunning colors, too. Those same coplors are evident in the middle of the Broad Walk, too.

The pumpkins look great among the yellow flowers. Sadly, I miss a lot of things until I download my photos.

The Rooves must be a new exhibit at Kew. Are they part of the Plantscapes displays? I was saddened to read the Plantscapes exhibit will be leaving soon. Great selfie at the Be Seated exhibit.

I had to laugh at the bamboo garden. I bet Kew's isn't the invasive kind like mine.

How odd to see a fox at Kew. I wonder if it was wild and got there by accident, or if it lives there.

I always love seeing the Temperate House. Lovely ferns filled with dripping water. Of course, my favorite may be the Palm House. Thanks for sharing these wonderful photos with us this week, Helen. Again, so sorry I've been MIA for so long.

Celtic house said...

Oh those rudbeckia against the white anemone are stunning aren't they, you look like you has a fab visit to Kew thank you for sharing the changing seasons xxx