Saturday, September 25, 2021

Kew - a final early visit for the season and the end of a fabulous week off

 So today is the last Saturday of the members early openings at Kew until May - although I learnt there are 2 Saturdays in mid-late October (half term) for the kids Gruffalo event we can go in at 9.

Sadly after a week of sunshine, today was grey and cloudy and we did have a brief period of drizzle later.  However,  8am .... all the normal regulars were there waiting!

a very different backdrop (sky)  this morning - such a shame

I headed first for the evolution garden, past the salvia border along the edge of the rock garden



the staff or students have been busy since Tuesday as lots of the beds where things have finished, have been cut hard back


not the asters though

or these tall yellow ones (not sure what they are)


the rudbeckia and helenium are still fabulous though

and the tiny lilac ?michaelmas daisies?  


so many flowers - and buds still to open










I got in really close with the phone





it was a very mild night overnight, so no dew or raindrops today



still quite a few roses here 
and quite a few hips
starting to skeletonise... 
euconium
pumpkins 
in amongst the flowers
seedheads
zooming in
and in


more squashes
the bed that had the beautiful wild flowers early summer (seems so long ago now!)  now has borage coming through... such a pretty blue










one of the grass beds

something fluffy and purple
in the Duke's Garden,  some really tall yellow daisy-type flowers


just to show the height...
against the light 
a yellow red-hot poker (kniphofia)

as I walked back to the gateway back into the grass garden this pretty grey cat came to  meet me.... 

the plantscapes from outside the Princess of Wales conservatory is now empty... surrounded by caging to stop anyone going closer,  when i came by later, they had put up some of those sheet things covered in tree prints. that I shared from the Temperate House earlier in the week
back on the Broad Walk 
can't resist these

or these







heading across grass....
past the rose garden



and towards the Temperate House - these flowers were tiny and hard to focus!




Cherry Walk at the Temperate House
walking past, most of the doors had signs up to say the TH is closed for work on the Japan event that starts next week - that you can see through the main door.


Elizabeth,you said I'd mentioned it a lot - only in the interests of my readers to keep you informed!  

However I am sure it will be very interesting
more trees changing colour...



I decided to head for the Treetop Walkway
and climbed the steps -  


to the left as I looked, the compost heaps and in the background some of the plant nurseries


lots of nuts in their casings on the horse chestnuts 




even on a dull day you can see quite a way across country!












whatever the red things they are hanging in the TH can be seen from up above through the windows
coming back down (so much easier than going up)  I headed towards the Japanese Garden  
berries on the sorbus trees




headed to the lake
under some trees a moorhen and her 2 babies dashed towards me - obviously expecting food!



there were dozens of squirrels today dashing about, digging holes and presumably stashing nuts for the winter


sweet buckeye - beautiful leaves
another one

most of them were too fast for me

shame the sky wasn't blue to show up the colour on the trees more






my tummy was rumbling so I headed back towards the Palm House and then to the cafe
the hibiscus in the beds at the Palm House are still flourishing 
fountain dancing on the water


typically the drizzle started as I sat to eat my sausage roll - a garnish of coleslaw today! 
Luckily it didn't dilute my coffee or get me too wet and didn't last long 


the bed of roses Dame Judi Dench still has loads of flowers


into the waterlily house

these seem to come from nowhere, although I may not have come inside on Tuesday

large lotus flower 
tree fern between the waterlily house and Palm House




got to stop at the fountain on my way to the 
Princess of Wales conservatory



these look like a cross between the pelican flowers in the waterlily house and the carnivourous plants - couldn't see a label.  They're quite small and hang overhead



this looks like it will be a large waterlily when it fully opens
upstairs on the arch, a couple of passionflowers, one just coming out and this one 
in full flower




on getting to the titan arum, it had collapsed as I had expected. 






















in the cool orchid room













cyclamen in the Alpine House
a big pot by the doorway with a frame supporting these pinky red flowers climbing up the frame
the pots of cyclamen outside I saw them arranging on Tuesday




teeny tiny flowers of autumn scillia






back at the Broad Walk,
sat on a bench for some lazy photography...
then walked round the back of the bed on the grass towards the Orangery restaurant

then round the end of the start of the Broad Walk again

I decided against an ice cream (the cart was open today) even though it was warmish  
arty shot time!


view up the Broad Walk from the bottom end 


Kew Palace

sat on a bench for a few minutes near the exit so I wasn't too early for my train






and there you have it - the end of another trip to Kew, another season of early starts (much prefer them - roll on May !)  and the end of my week's holiday - back to work on Monday so I don't plan on going anywhere tomorrow,  have the F1 race and the golf (Ryder Cup - which isn't going well at the moment) to watch!  

Thanks for looking  


2 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Wow, the sky was quite dreary when you got there at 8 am.

My rose hips were never that colorful. They are as bright as the roses. Ah, the pumpkins. Those "daisy type flowers" look like my wild sunflowers, but the leaves aren't the same.

How did Bleubeard get to Kew? Not as big as Bleu, though. And I said you mentioned the Japan exhibit because it sounded like you were SO excited about it. I look forward to seeing it, too.

Beautiful shots from the Treetop. For me, going up is easier than down. It's a knee thing.

The fountain looks good, even in gloom. I love the color of the Dame Dench roses. Will that tree fern live outside through the winter? It gets rather cold there and they die here.

Now you have seen the life cycle of the titan arum. Will you need to wait 7 years for the next one to bloom?

Loved the autumn colors and enjoyed your week of lots of photos, too.

Celtic house said...

Oh it has a real autumnal feel to the photos probably more so due to the grey day, still some fabulous colours about though. I'm assuming the earlier entry means less people, hope you enjoy the visit this weekend and the weather is kind xxxxx